Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What mod to buy next? VV / VW Vamo Alternative

What mod to buy next? VV / VW Vamo Alternative

So quick background story. Been vaping over a year, love it. Used primarily Vamos the whole time. Started with the V3, threads stripped, bottom of the drawer. Went to the V5, worked great for about 6 months then suffered from the centre pin issue, cant be bothered stuffing around with it, bottom of the drawer. Gave the latest Vamo V5 with the updated screen and new floating pin a shot. Floating pin idea great, but only when it actually makes a good contact which is far and few between and as such I'm stuck with a shitty vaping device at the moment, getting by with egos atm. I delved into Mechs with the Nemmy but decided its not for me, I don't need subohm and cant go past a regulated vape, and that's just the way I vape.

Question is what is a good alternative to the Vamo. I need something reliable for work that can take a beating but def wanna stay with the tube style mod. I would just join the masses and go the provari but its just way to an expensive a device to take to work. Afraid I'd lose it or would get damaged. I'm thinking best course of action is I need something similar to a Vamo but more reliable for my daily work mod and something separate for just home use. Looking at pulling the pin on some sort of box mod for home, but really need the tube form factor for work. I keep looking at the Zmax V5, would have to look past the single button menu system but I'm sure I will get used to it. Otherwise the iTaste SVD could also be another option. Thoughts and opinions on these options from other vapers would be great. What do you use for your work mod? Needs to be tube style, 18350 battery.

Also what box mods could I look at for home use? Def want something which has replaceable battery, at least 20w and has an adjustable 510 connection. I haven't heard anything good about the chana from FT but thinking of giving it a whirl just to try my hand at a box mod and see if I would enjoy using one.

So suggestions please, something similar to the Vamo for work use but more reliable, and something in box form for home. I still play with the nemmy and drippers every now and then, but what can I say, I'm lazy and cant be bothered dripping all the time. I'd rather use a kayfun so I can just grab it and vape when I please.

Thanks in advance to those who might offer up some good suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Ist suggestion is indeed a provari ... BUT .... dum dum dummm... stalk the classies here
    They regularly turn up ( kinda sorta ) with a $100 to $150 price tag attached , and when you consider that's just 2-3 vamos , depending where you buy from , and it would have still been firing after all this time , unlike your run with vamos

Now that said , lots of VV/VW options these days , Hana clones, Chinese DNA 30's etc but these may? have reliability issues .

I would also put a shout out for the Vaping Mad ZNA Preorder ... again its a Chinese one , but looks like it could be a good option

ZNA 30W Clone Mod | Electronic Cigarettes - VapingMadElectronic Cigarettes – VapingMad

You could also look at Z-max's etc ?

many types at the Steamers
    They are great to deal with

Steam-e-cigs | Mods - Products

Box form , the world is your oyster , but MVPs seem to have a fan club .. non replaceable battery tho
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Jwh has a provari mini 4 sale now $150 good price

Hi mate well i own a provari 2.5 and as you know with people that own them, They absolutely love them for reasons such as, Reliability, quality made, fires/vapes the same every time, accuracy..They Just Work! But as you know there are now more updated modes with more functions. They just wont have the cult following that provari have earned through the years.
    In saying that IMO i would always recommend it (believe me you will end up taking it to work after you see how sturdy they are, as i do). you can grab them off here second hand for a good price from time to time. and seeing that the version 3 is coming out in a few months time im guessing there will be a lot of people selling them to upgrade. Smok ZMax looks great Steam e-cigs has them instore but have yet to see one in action.

As for a box mode, just got a IPV v2 and its Awesome so far (except i think one of the two fire buttons hits harder,but im told its all in my head lol)
    its a 7-50watt box mode that takes one 18650 batt, simple to use, some people i hear are calling it a cana killer. But have to add that there have been the odd shit unit, one even caught fire and one well known reviewer Pete Pbusardo thinks his own unit is a piece of crap. Other than that i hear they are tops, especially at only $110-$120 each.
    That's all i have, Note this is all just my own opinion with what own. hope this helps.

Thankyou for your help Fatman. Looks like to get the reliability I am looking for its gonna have to be the Provari.... Pretty much knew I was going to end up there one day I guess. Just been holding out waiting for the P3. Gonna just bite the bullet I think and spend the dosh on a V2.5 for now and then a V3 once they are readily available and there are reviews up on them. I would have bought a V2.5 months ago but I've been enjoying the vape I've been getting from a few assorted Kayfun clones and the main issue with these I have found is they tend to not want to make a solid connection on my crappy Vamos at times. With no adjustability from the Kayfun (being clones) side and the centre pin issues with the Vamo I guess I'm worried I will have a similar issue with even something as good as the Provari, however the V3 has a new "movable pin" connection so thinking that will work flawlessly. I watch a lot of P Bsardo youtube reviews and even he has mentioned connection issues at times with the provari and certain attys not making a connection. Can you comment on this at all? If I knew a V2.5 provari would work reliably with my kayfun clones I'd buy one right now. I will definitely take a look at the ZNA clone you mentioned but generally think they are a tad ugly looking, lol. I have 2 kayfun clones, both of which seem to have slightly short 510 posts, causing the connection problem, whilst a Russian clone I have works brilliantly and you could even say the 510 post is almost too long. Cant expect too much from clones I guess, but I'm kind of a tight arse and cant justify spending $100+ on an RBA.

Thanks for your reply Jonnii. I've been looking at the IPV v2 with some interest. Is the 510 connection adjustable at all? I don't need something that's going to fire 50w but I guess it couldn't hurt to have the ability to do so if I feel the need.

Gonna just go the provari for work it seems and then decide on a box mod for home. The wife is gonna go nutz when she finds out I've spent $400 - $500 bux, but oh well, lol. The only thing that sux with the provari v2.5 is from what I've read
    you cant use sony VTC's can you? I think the provari needs nipple top batteries right? I currently only own flat tops ranging from Panasonics, Efests and Sonys and its just another expense I didn't want to have to deal with.

AVF Regular
    Sigelei 20W solid as, very happy with mine.

Super Moderator
    Unfortunately I cant comment on the clone issues with connections on the provari as I havent had it happen ... but yeah I could see that being a problem if you have really short 510 threads on a clone ... pretty much everything I have has never had a connection issue with either of my provaris .

But having said that ( lol ) it could be overcome by using a 510 to 510 adaptor ( if it occured , which I doubt it would ?) then you would need to fit a beauty ring and spacer of some sort ?

I guess if you have clones that are that far out tho , its going to be a problem on any mod that doesn't have an adjustable centrepin ?
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Super Moderator
    and yes you need nipple tops

Yes i had a little issue with Iclears and protanks cleros at first making connection but with IClears 30B & 30S you can pull out the bottom pin and protanks you can try screwing in the coil tighter. i own a kayfun 3.1 clone and it always makes sufficient connection but when i tried to use a beauty ring it wouldnt make connection like my authentic Kayfun would. So depends on how long the 510 sticks out. No problem with a Russian as you can screw out the 510 connection without the insides moving. I other than that my provari hasnt given me any grief.
    As for the the IPV v2 yupp has a screw based adjustable pin so you can use a screw driver to adjust it. Haven't needed to as yet tho.

EDIT: Like fatman said Yes Provaris take buttons tops, Provape recommend Imr Aw 18490 3.7V which i use too for my full size provari. For sale kits from here normally offer Batts aswell. Or a kit from provape cost me from memory about $220-250 with battery, batt charger, and protank 2. Not including shipping This might have changed by now?
    Last edited by Jonnii; 14-08-14 at 11:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast