Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Blazar 18650 vs Sony vtc5

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Blazar 18650 vs Sony vtc5

hey guys just wondering whats the go the blazer 18650 batteries I've seen in a few threads.

basically it sounds like the blazer 18650 is the absolute balls, but i was wondering why it is that its still a sony vtc5 that takes the popularity contest?
    pros and cons? please sirs and maam's.

Thankyou

Retired Account
    I found the Blazar batteries to be brilliant, but a smidge too long to fit into some of my things.
    The ones they do fit into go and go and go and go.
    In my provari, I just don't do it all the way up tight.
    You have to be a bit careful with slightly long batteries that you don't push the important bits up accidentally, meaning that they won't be really happy when you put a slightly shorter battery in, and they're painful to adjust from inside the guts a lot of the time.
    Fatman, sams and Jdee like this.

that is some very valuable info.
    i was thinking of putting one in my chana mods but a vtc5 is already pretty snug borderline tight in there.

so as far as mech mods these batteries win hands down don't they? being able to discharge 50amps and and being 3400mah.
    or am i missing something?

AVF Regular
    i spoke with someone who advised the VTC5's give out more power in a mech mod.

also the blazar's don't fit in all mech's.

i was trying to make the same decision recently too.

also i don't know where you got 50amps from

i thought "Max Cont. Discharge Current: 6.8A"

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdee View Post
    that is some very valuable info.
    i was thinking of putting one in my chana mods but a vtc5 is already pretty snug borderline tight in there.

so as far as mech mods these batteries win hands down don't they? being able to discharge 50amps and and being 3400mah.
    or am i missing something?
    A lot.
    blazar and the other standard 3400mAh NCR type pana batteries are only rated for 6.8 amps and shut down on safety when exceeding 10A (except for 'high drain' 10A rated pana versions like the hybrids, eg CGR18650CH and the 2900mAh NCR18650PF and others.)

Probably more versions and model numbers from pana with higher mAh and still 'high drain' though available now than when I last looked at them*. But the point is the standard 3400mAh unprotected or blazar protected is a 6.8A battery.

*late edit: Yes there is new ones. Just found on orbtronics website: NCR18650BD, 10 amp, 3100mAh for example.
    Pretty good.
    Last edited by coopz; 24-08-14 at 11:05 PM.
    gtadmin likes this.

**quietly retreats into corner and shouts yeah man you missed so damn much**
    thanks a lot guys i think i got excited and was just scanning through information without actually reading it.
    your help has been most helpful!
    vengaman likes this.

LOL, don't be like that.
    If it wasn't for this thread i would never have searched and found the NCR18650BD!

Super Moderator
    Sounds like these will suit everyone bar the >40W crowd and will protect against a hard short.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

It's not just "lol, I don't need 30A batteries because I don't vape 50W", it's more the fact that these higher end batteries can put out the desired rated current when under load. Less volt sag when discharging in other words.

Sony VTC4/5 (and other high rated batteries like LG and purple efests which are second best in this) deliver closer to their static voltage when under load due to their chemistry and lower internal impedance.

Nothing unsafe about the sonys either, like I posted a few weeks ago, I dead shorted one accidentally. It got warm and then 20 sec later, it was 1.8V and dead and cooled down, no thermal runaway there happened. I'd prefer to live with that rather than stuff about trying to shove extra long and wide nipple top protected batteries in everything.

Been looking at bit at these new panas (NCR18650BD), seems what is on the market are rejects from the tesla electric car (yes the car runs on panasonic 18650 batteries).

Lots more volt drop on them than the sonys BTW so they can't put out the same current to a load...
    Last edited by coopz; 25-08-14 at 09:56 PM.

whats your opinion on LG's new 18650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast