• 3 Post By essiemessy
  • 1 Post By Pipesub
  • 2 Post By Crisscross
  • 1 Post By Daemolitia

Thread: Yerba Mate Vape, anyone?

AVF Regular

Yerba Mate Vape, anyone?

Pinterest

I recently discovered the joys of green tea the South American way - yerba mate and bombilla straw.

I saw a group of guys in the supermarket over the weekend sharing this fascinating little metal cup/bowl, and instantly thought OMG what is this thing they're all sucking on, and carrying a thermos from which they'd pour hot water every few 'tokes'??? And what is that chaff on top of it?
    I must be a bit slow - I asked them about it, while holding my EPM and Nautilus setup, thinking it must have been some kind of hookah thing, albeit without smoke.

The guy I asked (Brazilian) was fantastic in that he explained it as best he could in the 60 seconds we had to discuss it, including the geography, and the offer to have a go. It piqued my interest enough to look it all up when I got home that night, and aesthetically, it really tickled my fancy. It tasted pretty good, too (very strong green tea), and the traditions and cultural origins are fascinating. Enough for me to look at setting myself up with one when I find 'the one'.

Seeing the hardware and the workmanship that many of the mate (gourd) -particularly the metal overlaid ones - and bombilla (straw) designs when googling was fabulous. Right up my alley.

Anyhoo, how awesome would it be to have a matching epipe?

Just musing. Carry on.
    Rynxa, MrGruffy and Pipesub like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

I like the way you think Essie, you could fit a pretty large tank and a couple of 185650s in a gourd. Not much for portability but nice for a home use / conversation piece.
    essiemessy likes this.

AVF Regular
    I can just see all that engraved silver.... *swoons*

AVF Regular
    I have two gourds and bombillas. One is fine to use. The one with the metal over lay is basically useless because of the timber used. I still have nearly a kilo of yerba left. My only concern with it is the potential for increased throat irritation due to the heat of the water used. Research has noticed that the herb is great for you but the way it is imbibed is the issue.
    I don't blow clouds. I might if they bought me dinner and made me feel appreciated every now and then...

AVF Regular
    I don't blow clouds. I might if they bought me dinner and made me feel appreciated every now and then...

AVF Regular
    I went and had a very quick read - I found this: Yerba Mate and Cancer - Circle of Drink
    I forget where I read the other night about the need for taking mate not too hot, but I figured more for flavour purposes etc, like how black teas aren't suppposed to be infused in boiling water, even though we all pour boiling water over our tea bags!

Is it something you enjoy doing (with the usable one) though?

AVF Regular
    What did monty python say about "Follow the gourd"

Last edited by Crisscross; 02-09-14 at 06:53 PM.
    essiemessy and MrGruffy like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    It's a very strong flavour but it doesn't take long to get used to. I definitely felt something akin to a "relaxed state". The first few days were pretty cruisy lol.
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yeah, I liked the taste, too. I'm used to green tea, so it's not such a stretch.
    So it looks like I'd have to choose carefully. I prefer a proper gourd, although I'm not averse to other materials (glass, ceramic), or maybe just go the silicon route.
    I'll read up a bit more, though, I think.
    What I have noticed is that there seems to be a contradiction re caffeine - some sources say it's a massive caffeine hit, while others say it's lower than coffee and tea.
    Thanks for the insights