Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Do i really need an OHM meter?

Do i really need an OHM meter?

Hi, i am getting:
    --Nemesis Style Mechanical Mod
    --Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Style Rebuildable Atomizer (4.5ml)
    --Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (50-Pack)
    1.5ohm / 0.3mm dia. / 30*30mm leads

The batteries i have are IMR18500 Efest 1100mAh and 1700mAh 3.7 V Li-Mn Battery.
    Do i really need an OHM reader, what could possibly go wrong?

A dedicated 510 resistance checker, or a vv/vw mod that can check ohms is important, just to make sure the atty or your build isn't shorted. If it shorts, you WILL toast the battery, whether it unsafely discharges (vents) or safely shorts out, (drops below an amount that makes that battery unsafe to charge/re-use).

A multimeter is recommended to check battery voltage as well, to make sure you aren't over discharging them ie check when you suspect running low, and check after a shorting event - throw the batteries out if dropped much below 3v

I'd get an ohm checker to use before firing a build on a mech, (or rely on a previously bought vv/vw mod for that), AND a multimeter to check battery volts for after use.
    Last edited by coopz; 07-09-14 at 01:17 AM.

AVF Regular
    Even though you are getting pre coiled wires, you will need something to check ohms. It's very important to make sure they are staying steady and a good reference for battery safety.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Retired Account
    You should also know what the maximum safe discharge current is for the batteries you're using, and more importantly, the maximum safe continuous discharge current for the batteries you're using is.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I've been relying on my vv/vw devices as an ohm meter, and am quite satisfied with it. But venturing into sub-ohm builds and such you would probably need a meter as vv/vw devices don't read ohms lower than 1.2, but might be wrong here (e.g. won't fire but will still display ohm reading).

Yeah my SVD reads to at least 0.8 or lower (and fire them). Best thing about a SVD IMO.

All this reading has confused me. In fact slightly put me off going into mech mods!
    Can any of you guys give me a link on fastech as to what to get please.

AVF Regular
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Thanks, so when i screw that kayfun on what reading should i be after?

AVF Regular
    According to some stats on your battery I found, you should (must?!) have more than 0.42 ohms
    IMR14500 Specification: Nominal Voltage : 3.7V Capacity : 600mAH Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 1.5A ) Charging cycles : > 500 cycles Max. continuous discharge rate : 4A Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius Approx 14.07mm diameter x 48.8mm length IMR16340 Specification: Nominal Voltage : 3.7V Capacity : 550mAH Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 1.5A ) Charging cycles : > 500 cycles Max. continuous discharge rate : 4A

Voltage (E):4.2 Volts (V)
    Current (I): 10
    Resistance (R): 0.42
    Power (P): 42 Watts (W)

• IMR18490 (18500) Specification: Nominal Voltage : 3.7V Capacity : 1100mAH Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 3A ) Charging cycles : > 500 cycles Max. continuous discharge rate : 8C Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius IMR18650 Specification: Nominal Voltage : 3.7V Capacity : 2000mAH Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 2A ) Charging Cycles : > 500 cycles Max. continuous discharge rate : 10A Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius
    Last edited by MrGruffy; 07-09-14 at 01:46 AM.
    RichoVonBlack likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast