Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Advice and equip check

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Advice and equip check

Hey guys. I have found the gear that I want and just would like an experienced vaper to double check that what I wanna buy all works, sounds good and help me with some supplies to suit the kit

$22.96 Penny Style 18650 Copper Mechanical Mod - 1:1 clone at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping (this one is spring loaded button, what's the difference between this and a magnetic one?)

$11.08 Tugboat Style Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Pyrex drip tips 510

What wire should I purchase to accompany this setup? Preferable from the same site? Also cotton to match
    What battery should I purchase and charge? A link to an Australian site would be awesome thanks

Cheers for your help as usual guys

Patty

lmb
    AVF Regular
    Hi Patty,

If you're looking into rebuildables for the first time, you will also need to get yourself a ohm meter to check your resistance before you fire the atty. They should have them at fasttech. As for wire, I always suggest 28g to begin with, thin enough to be able to manipulate and thick enough that it shouldn't break on you. As for cotton, I just use a bag of cotton balls picked up from Coles, go for organic if you can find it. For batteries, the first port of call is always supersports600, he is a member and has an ebay store. He will be able to answer any questions you have and he has chargers and batteries.

Good luck with your journey.
    RIP VP

Just a quick question Patty on your experience level, if you are a noob welcome but you are aware with a mech and dripper you are going in the deep end. An ohm meter for sure so you know what the coils you build are doing, volt meter at least for a start until you learn how long the battery is going to last, don't discharge below about 3.3 volt to be safe, batteries and charger from supersports600 sony vtc4/vtc5 have a 30 amp discharge rate and will take you down to about 0.2 ohm coils for dripping, lg 20amp batteries will take you to about 0.5 ohm safely PV Web Apps Exceed your batteries limits and you are holding a bomb to your face...
    Don't want to sound negative but if you are just starting on rebuildables which it sounds like you are double check everything you do, its great fun playing with this stuff, I'm enjoying it, after 5 builds finally got my coil working properly on my mesh wicked genny yeehaa I can get two tanks out of a battery on my mech easily but I change it every tank, just for the flavour and hit.
    Check the coil pr0n thread for coil building ideas and hints if you haven't already.
    Supersports is out of vtc4/5 but the lg's here lg items - Get great deals on non-protected items on eBay Stores!
    Have fun, enjoy the journey and vape on...
    Last edited by knightflyer; 20-09-14 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added link

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Huge noob but I am mechanically minded and beleive I have a solid understanding of ohms law. My understanding is provided my battery pumps out more amps than the calculator racks up I'm safe. I also was of the understanding that the battery's would only drop from 4.2 to about 3.7 and then they would "die" requiring a recharge? If I'm wrong please let me know.

The volt meter would just be top and bottom of the battery when outside the mod? Is there any issues with not allowing the battery to drain before recharging? Like you would with most other battery operated devices in order to ensure maximum battery life?

Can anyone suggest a solid charger that's safe?

Patty

AVF Regular
    go for a regulated device patty.
    RIP 22.12.2016

lmb
    AVF Regular
    For your battery queries, I always recommend a pm to supersports600, but basically a battery should come off the charger at about 4.2v, then reduce to sit at around 3.7 before dropping further. With lithium batteries they should never be discharged all the way down, it destroys them. You should not discharge below about 3.3v to ensure the battery is able to retain a charge. Most people tend to switch out at about 3.7v bacause they notice the quality of the vape diminishing. There are a number of good chargers available, Soshine, efest, nitecore etc. I'm not sure there is a standout amongst the available options.

The voltmeter will enable you to check the health of your battery. If it can't hold a charge you should dispose of it and get a new one. A good starting point for batteries, particularly if you are planning to try your hand at sub-ohm building, is the Sony vtc5. 30A rating which should be safe for most uses.

Always ensure that you have checked the resistance of your build before it goes near a battery, you may have a short or you may be so low that your battery can't handle it. It's always best to go slowly and get your head around the limits of your equipment and the quality of your builds before going too low.

If in doubt, always ask and there will be people here to answer.
    RIP VP

AVF Regular
    Gday Patty. Both the mod & dripper you have chosen look to be very good but I don't know how easy it is to get the magnets for converting the fire button on the Penny. It seems with a lot of the buttons that use springs they can feel a bit crunchy to press but by taking out the spring & using opposing magnets in it, it becomes a lot smoother. This seems especially important on the clones.
    I myself got the stainless steel Nemisis mod & kayfun tank clones from fasttech because of the great reviews on there & they are working really well.
    In case you are new to mods I am linking to the ones I & many others have bought from Fasttech.
    Ohm tester a must have for rebuilding $10.45 Atomizer Resistance Tester (Ohm Meter) - eGo/510/808 connector at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    This is the copper Nemisis asuming you wanted copper. $24.53 Nemesis Style Copper Mechanical Mod - 18350 / 18500 / 18650 mod at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Kayfun rebuildable tank it also comes with a nano kit to make it smaller. $30.02 Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Style Rebuildable Atomizer (4.5ml) - 1:1 clone / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    I've just ordered a copper & stainless steel Stingray that also has very good reviews & it comes with magnets in the button. $26.26 Stingray X Style Stainless Steel + Copper Mechanical Mod - 18350 / 18500 / 18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    The dripper I ordered with the stingray is this one, a Magma as it holds a lot of juice & is easy to build. $15.97 Magma Style Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / copper AFC ring at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    I had a look at the Kantal wire at fasttech & many of the reviews say the wire comes in a tangled mess making for a lot of waste so I think you are better off buying from an Aussie store. I buy mine from Vape King & it comes on a bobbin so it's easy to use. I have 26g, 28g, 30, & 32g. REBUILDABLES & ACCESSORIES - Vapeking
    They also sell organic cotton for the wicks. 100% Organic Cotton Balls - 5 Pack
    A good 20amp battery. You need to buy these in Australia because I don't think they can send batteries by normal airmail. Efest Purple 18650 3100mAh IMR Battery - 20A
    I recently bought some Rayon from Steamcigs & that seems to wick really well. Steam-e-cigs | Search results for: 'rayon'
    Make sure you read up on using mech mods & how to build coils for a certain Ohm resistance. Like when you use two 2 ohm coils you only have 1 ohm resistance (it halves when you use two coils) You also should know whether your battery can keep up with the ohms you have chosen because it can become dangerous when stressing the batteries. So far I only build single coils of about 1.6 ohms & my 10amp batteries have no trouble with that.
    Good luck with it all. While writing this there have been more posts & you say you are new so I agree with Brian that while you learn all about mech mods it might be best if you have a regulated mod as well so you can vape more safely. One alternative is if you don't like the look of regulated devices you could always get a Kick module from Fasttech which turns your mech mod into a regulated mod & would be a lot safer for now. The Kicks are only about $10 each & they fit nicely in the Nemisis. You will have to research if the Penny can take a kick.
    I bought these two. One alters the Watts $9.07 Authentic Sigelei Variable Wattage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod - 5-15W at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    & the other one alters the Volts $8.37 Variable Voltage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod - 3.2V-4.8V at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Last edited by rodbam; 20-09-14 at 04:24 PM.
    Departure likes this.

AVF Regular
    Wow. You learnt to swim by diving off a ship in the Atlantic Ocean didn't you? ☺ Some may say these things are not necessary but having a good pair of tweezers makes life do much easier when wicking your atty. As far as wicking material is concerned; Koh Gen Do is excellent imo. It doesn't leave a horrible aftertaste and wicks well. I liked rayon until I bought some KGD from Vapour Eyes and now I only use rayon on certain atties due to the difficulty I have in threading the KGD at times. Good luck with everything. I hope you have many great successes with your set up.
    I don't blow clouds. I might if they bought me dinner and made me feel appreciated every now and then...

AVF Regular
    PS. Have a look at the Nitecore Intellichargers at Fasttech 2 battery & you can get one for 4 batteries. $14.97 Nitecore I2 Lithium Li-ion Ni-MH Ni-Cd Smart Battery Charger - US plug / 2-channel charger at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    I bought mine in Oz so I got the right plug but you can get the American plug from Fasttech & buy an adaptor in Bunnings.

Just a bit more, as the dripper has no tank and requires dripping juice into every few puffs as suggested a kayfun or I seem to get on better with the russian or aga t5 as far as tanked atomisers go. Also most tube mods have a bottom button, needs to be locked off before you put it down or else it will fire all on it's own from the weight of the mod and tank, some don't mind, I find it a pain in the rear, so I'm getting into box mechs along side my VV/VW mods.
    Agree with the Koh Gen Do cotton, good stuff.
    Could you please put your location in your details as a lot of people on here are very willing to help out in person.
    Have fun and vape on...
    Last edited by knightflyer; 20-09-14 at 04:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast