Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By coopz

Thread: When is 28 awg Kanthal not 28awg

AVF Regular

When is 28 awg Kanthal not 28awg

OK - so somehow I've ended up with three spools of what I thought was the same 28awg Kanthal ... A long story...

Was recoiling my favorite Kayfun and I noticed my usual build resistance was off ... Double checked number of wraps and diameter .... The same as usual....

I was using a new spool that arrived from HOV - one of those small clear plastic ones - marked as "0.30mm A1 Kanthal" - checked against the larger white spool I have - marked as "0.34"!! Wtf??? And the larger spool wire was thicker and stiffer??

Quick Google search revealed 28awg available in 0.3, 0.32 and 0.34 .... ???

I thought "28awg" was a standard size????

Anyone else noticed this??

AVF Regular
    nope. get a set of digital verniers on it. AWG is standard measurement and equates to an exact mm measurement. sounds like a simple case of mis-labling
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    i had the experience a long time back where i bought 28 gauge that was much thicker than the 28 gauge i later got from temco - i started a thread about it at the time in the hardware section but cant find it now

AVF Regular
    yup, like vengaman said AWG is standardised sizes. so 28 AWG should be the same no matter where you get it.
    There are a lot of charts out there but my old friend wiki has the chart that looks right.
    American wire gauge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by MelbVFR View Post
    OK - so somehow I've ended up with three spools of what I thought was the same 28awg Kanthal ... A long story...

Was recoiling my favorite Kayfun and I noticed my usual build resistance was off ... Double checked number of wraps and diameter .... The same as usual....

I was using a new spool that arrived from HOV - one of those small clear plastic ones - marked as "0.30mm A1 Kanthal" - checked against the larger white spool I have - marked as "0.34"!! Wtf??? And the larger spool wire was thicker and stiffer??

Quick Google search revealed 28awg available in 0.3, 0.32 and 0.34 .... ???

I thought "28awg" was a standard size????

Anyone else noticed this??
    28AWG is a standard exact size
    It is 0.32mm
    0.3mm is '28/29g', a half size in between 28g and 29g, with 28g being 0.32mm, and 29g being 0.28mm = 0.3mm
    27g is 0.36mm, so likewise 0.34mm would be a half size between 27g and 28g. IE '27/28g' is 0.34mm
    Last edited by coopz; 22-09-14 at 09:25 PM.
    avtek likes this.

AVF Regular
    Ok - that's what I thought .... Note to self... Check both AWG and metric when ordering..

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Gravedig here, but Vapeking sold me some 28/29AWG /0.3mm kanthal as 28 AWG a while back too -- one of the same spools from the sound of it.

I never buy from Vapeking any more, and this definitely soured me on the shop. I just came across this thread because I was searching for kanthal and need some more 28AWG, because the only thing close I have left atm is that 28/29AWG that was mislabelled on their site by Vapeking.