Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The Official Regulated Hardware Project Discussion thread

AVF Regular

Cool The Official Regulated Hardware Project Discussion thread

The following thread is for the discussion and suggestion of regulated hardware. (Title to be adjusted if necessary, and excuse the blatant copypasta)

The purpose of it is to build lists of available hardware, pictures, where to buy links etc, which will be collated in another "index" thread which AVF members and readers can use to guide their purchasing decisions.

By "Regulated" I mean basically anything thats either a VV\VW mod or a "ready to go" atomiser that does not require coils to be built for it.

As with the prior hardware project it is not intended that any debates of 'clone vs original' take place in this thread and any such debate should expect to be removed.

There may be some debate as to the quality of some devices, but realistically it may be helpful to list some of the awful devices as a reference for new vapers so they might avoid purchasing them.

There also may be discussion as to the best place to buy a particular device. A good example is the Aspire Nautilus, available locally and OS from a number of vendors. Some stock the original device from Eigate whereas some stock clones\counterfeits of it and some may stock both (Fasttech?). I suspect the quality will vary greatly with these so it's probably best to stick with recommending somewhere that stock the real deal. There's nothing worse than just starting out and going for the cheapest option (which often is only a few dollars difference) and getting something that's poor quality and unreliable. As Gt said

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Arguably, it's even more important to buy original 2nd gen gear than 3rd gen gear IMO
    Also, no bias towards the origin of the device, be it china, us, eu, wonderland, as long as it qualifies.

-------------------------------
    The Categories

Clearomiser - single top coil
    Clearomiser - dual top coil
    Clearomiser - single bottom coil
    Clearomiser - dual bottom coil
    Cartomizer
    Cartomizer tanks
    Batteries - Ego style
    Batteries - Ego style VV\VW
    Mods VV\VW
    Chargers
    Mod batteries
    Accessories

Personally I think pp fees, postage costs, etc are not relevant. I know FT has free slow boat, but few others outside of china do and I think it would ultimately result in very short lists.
    There is value in listing them though, so people aren't surprised.

------------------------------------
    Listings

The actual listings to be moved into the index thread should adhere to a fairly standard format to make it easier to compare different devices.

My thoughts are they should include Name, description, picture(s), comments, where to buy, cost, other costs (postage). Possibly something like the following:

Name:
    Description:
    Price:
    Other Costs (Postage):
    Comments:
    Discussion thread:
    Where to buy:
    Pictures:

Again, open to suggestions if anyone has a better idea, or if I've missed something. Added "Discussion Thread" for linking to any thread(s) that may exist solely for that device.

-------------------------------------
    The index thread

I'm happy to start and maintain\update the index thread, once the categories look settled, and we have a few listings. I'll open it soon and reserve the first dozen odd posts to keep things separated in the same format as last time.

Based off the last project, the index thread will probably just be me talking to myself a lot, but it did work well in keeping it clean and on track.

This thread though is definately a banter friendly zone and the more activity the better.

-------------------------------------

I really hope everyone can get behind this and participate and take it in the spirit in which it's meant. I think that it could prove to be a huge help and resource to all of AVF, both members and readers.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Nakor; 12-10-14 at 04:15 PM.
    Fatman and adze67 like this.

AVF Regular
    Kick it off with some easy ones shall we?
    -----------------------------------------

Name: Trustfire TR-001 Multi Purpose Li-on Battery Charger
    Description: Multi Purpose Li-on Battery Charger
    Price: AU $13.95
    Other Costs (Postage): N/A
    Comments: Very basic cheap charger. They work but are very slow, especially with high capacity batteries. Good as a throw in the drawer backup or testing the waters of mods and batteries. If you end up using it a lot I'd recommend upgrading to something a little better with a better charge rate.
    Where to buy: TrustFire TR-001 Multi-Purpose Lithium Battery Charger
    Pictures

AVF Regular
    Name: Nitecore i2 and i4 intelligent charger
    Description: Multi Purpose Li-on Battery Charger
    Price: AU $23.95 (i2) - $28.95 (i4)
    Other Costs (Postage): N/A
    Comments: Reliable, good quality charger. Much quicker charging rate as compared to the trustfire and displays a rough idea of what charge state each bay is in. Charge rate does go down when mixing bays 1&2 with 3&4. Has withstood 12 months of careless abuse by me without breaking, so that's a big plus.
    Where to buy: Nitecore Sysmax I2 Intelligent Charger V2 Nitecore Sysmax I4 Intelligent Charger V2
    Pictures

AVF Regular
    Name:Ego Battery - available in many different capacities - generally 650mah, 900mah, 1100mah. Gets longer with higher capacity.
    Description: 3.7V battery, built in over discharge protection and charge circuit. 5 press to turn on/off (copies may be 3, 4 or 5 presses). Button will flash when discharged
    Price: 5-20 (depending on what and where)
    Other Costs (Postage): Yes
    Comments: The great allrounder. Dependable, easy to use. YMMV with copies. Will Also need Ego Charger. Clean charger and battery connector regularly to avoid juice buildup.
    Where to buy: Damn near anywhere
    Pictures:

Nakor likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Name: CE4 Clearomiser AKA Stardust, plus a million copies
    Description: Single Coil Top coil disposable clearomiser
    Price: 1.5-5
    Other Costs (Postage): yes
    Comments: One of the most popular clearo's for vendors. Great to start with, but you'll be wanting more very soon. Can be "dry burned" to increase service life, but generally a throw away item. Easy to fill, and get the hang of vaping. Typical 1.8 ohm coil, attached to Ego battery. Warmish vape as the coil is up the top.
    Where to buy: In every knockoff starter kit, and from all online stores and B+M stores
    Pictures:
    Last edited by Altered1; 23-09-14 at 05:02 PM.
    Nakor likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

AVF Regular
    Name: Evod Clearomiser
    Description: Bottom Coil Clearomiser, replaceable Coil Head
    Price: 2-5
    Comments: Bottom Coil clearomiser 1.5ml capacity. Single Coil head screws in from the bottom and is replaceable. Very popular, works well. Cooler vape than the CE4 as the coil is at the base. Coils can be 'dry burned' to increase service life. Keep the base, and top, replace the coil. Plastic tank, so no tank cracker juice for this one.
    Where to buy: Online stores, B+M's
    Pictures:
    Last edited by Altered1; 23-09-14 at 05:41 PM.
    Nakor likes this.

AVF Regular
    Name: Kanger Protank Version 1
    Description: Bottom Coil Clearomiser 2.5-3ml
    Price:15-20, but coming down as this is V1
    Comments: Like the Evod - they take the same Coils. Comes in Chrome, glass tank, so no need to fear tank cracker liquids. Single Coil head screws in from the bottom and is replaceable. Very popular, works well. Cooler vape than the CE4 as the coil is at the base. Coils can be 'dry burned' to increase service life. Keep the base, and top, replace the coil.
    Where to buy: Lots of places
    Pictures:
    Last edited by Altered1; 23-09-14 at 05:28 PM.
    Nakor and coal miner like this.

AVF Regular
    Name: Kanger Hypertank
    Description: Bottom Coil Clearomiser 5ml
    Price: 10-20 but coming down as this is getting on
    Comments: Like the Evod - they take the same Coils. Glass tank, so no need to fear tank cracker liquids. Single Coil head screws in from the bottom and is replaceable. Coils can be 'dry burned' to increase service life. Keep the base, and top, replace the coil.
    Where to buy: Lots of places
    Pictures

Nakor likes this.

AVF Regular
    Name: Vamo V5
    Description: VW/VV Mod, Ego and 510 threads
    Price: 25-50 depending on copy or not, bare unit or incl batteriess, charger, presentation case, a couple of clearos etc
    Other Costs (Postage): Yep
    Comments: A very popular beginner VV/VW mod. personal choice is the stainless, as it will not scratch like the chrome or black chrome. Wraps are available. Takes 18650 batteries, or the shorter 18350 by removing one section of tube. Has short circuit protection, measures resistance and displays battery remaining voltage. Uses Pulse Width Modulation to average the firing voltage to desired level. Will not fire below 1.2ohm. Fires from 3V to 6V in .5v increments. OLED display, blue. has 2 firing modes - RMS and AVG. Newer units have a better insulated 510 connector. 510 threads can be a problem sometimes. Overall, great budget unit. Can double as a police baton. Replacement PCB's available for $12 from FT - easy repair if it goes US.
    Where to buy: everywhere. lookout in the classies for a cheap one.
    Pictures:

Last edited by Altered1; 23-09-14 at 05:43 PM.
    Nakor and coal miner like this.

AVF Regular
    Name:
    Description: Ego Twist
    Price: 15-30 depending on clone or not, bettery capacity 650 - 900 - 1100mah
    Comments: similar to the ego battery, with a voltage selector in the base. 3.2V to 4.8V. Great starter battery. all the usual - 5 presses on/off, short circuit protection, 10 second cutoff, low voltage cutoff, charge circuit. lots of colours
    Where to buy: lots of places
    Pictures:
    Nakor likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast