• 3 Post By Fatman
  • 1 Post By Fawks
  • 1 Post By Fawks
  • 1 Post By Fatman
  • 1 Post By fad

Thread: Battery got down to 1.3V. How?

AVF Regular

Battery got down to 1.3V. How?

So i keep my mod on me at work, it fits in a 18650 flashlight holder. It would of been around 3.9V before i left to work today, at the end of the day it was barely vaping and when i chucked it in the charger it came up at 1.3V.

Sony VCT5 -

It was on me the whole time so i did not feel any heat.
    The magma still had juice in it and the cotton is not burnt either.
    The battery is 6 weeks old, Digital calliper shows that there is no swelling
    Dimensions are the exact same as its 4.2V brother.
    Weight of both batteries is the same
    The wrap around the battery is in top condition, slight juice staining but nothing major.

Its on the charger now, im keeping an eye on it but there isnt any heat while its charging. So any ideas how this happens?
    avtek likes this.

AVF Regular
    Still charging, upto 3.6V now and still feels and looks good :/

Super Moderator
    Batteries fall off SHARPLY when under 3.4V
    Could be just that you vaped it past that point and it fell off the peak ?
    If your build sucks the watts , its possible for a high discharge battery to "fall over" trying to supply the amps

if you continue trying to vape after it falls over that endpoint ... the line just keeps going !

your battery may appear to recover , but I would never trust it again

This is why knowing what batteries do is so important to safe vaping in mechanicals
    Last edited by Fatman; 24-09-14 at 05:05 PM.
    Nakor, avtek and Fawks like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    They say not to under 3.2 volts so that is a big drop off.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Batteries fall off SHARPLY when under 3.4V
    Could be just that you vaped it past that point and it fell off the peak ?
    If your build sucks the watts , its possible for a high discharge battery to "fall over" trying to supply the amps

if you continue trying to vape after it falls over that endpoint ... the line just keeps going !

your battery may appear to recover , but I would never trust it again
    Cheers fatman.

I have been vaping for a while, and never experienced anything as sudden as this drop off, especially down to 1.3 so it wasnt from overuse.

The only thing i think that is possible is that it would fire intermittently as i was moving around all day, slowly draining the battery until it hit the end of the peak. Im running a .5 ohm build atm so nothing crazy for what the batteries can handle but it is still a big draw.

I was hoping you wouldnt say that. Whoever comes up with a device to test a battery's integrity could save allot of vapers from throwing out battery's and possibly injury.

Well i suppose in 275 days, having to bin 2 batteries in total isnt a huge loss...
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    fawks was the mod locked while in the flashlight holder?

if not it might well have fired intermittently as those flashlight holders have a soft bottom....

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by avtek View Post
    fawks was the mod locked while in the flashlight holder?

if not it might well have fired intermittently as those flashlight holders have a soft bottom....
    Nah it wasnt locked avtek. I move around allot when working so im guessing that must of been it. Live and learn

BATTERY UPDATE: It hit 3.7V before it wouldn't charge anymore and the discharge symbol on the charger lighted up.
    avtek likes this.

Super Moderator
    Well you CAN test it by measuring Internal Resistance lol ... but the gear you need cost a bit more than a new battery
    BU-902: How to Measure Internal Resistance – Battery University
    Our Products | Cadex Electronics

When you over discharge a litium ion or polymer battery , you create crystalline paths which are permanent usually and this means the battery wont drain the substrate evenly, ie the electrons take the easy path and you get greatly reduced capacity as you are not using the whole substrate to store and distribute charge evenly ... this is the bit that gets hot in your battery and causes the vent/explosion/burny let the magic smoke out scenario

Edit , but as you have seen it wont take a full charge ... toss time
    Fawks likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Well you CAN test it by measuring Internal Resistance lol ... but the gear you need cost a bit more than a new battery
    You mean not every vaper has an impedance meter?!

If you have a local B&M encourage them to buy one. They're available on eBay/AliExpress for around $80.
    Fatman likes this.