Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is it dangerous to squeeze your coil while its lighting up?

AVF Regular

Is it dangerous to squeeze your coil while its lighting up?

I purchased the ceramic tipped tweezers from fasttech: $12.29 Heat Resistant Stainless Steel Tweezers for E-Cigrettes - ceramic flat tip at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

While pressing the button on my Provari, the coil lights up, and I thought I'd go ahead and squeeze the coils to make the microcoil.

It's probably the best microcoil Ive ever made. 10 wraps of 30 gauge giving a 2ohm resistence. Its all sweet at 4.1V.

But was I just lucky this time? Is squeezing the coils while the current is flowing a stupid thing to do in general? I know the Provari has circuit protection, but is this bad practice. Would this be an absolutely dangerous thing to do on a mech?

If it's metal on metal yes that's stupid but considering you have ceramic not a drama
    PurpleVapes likes this.

AVF Regular
    I do it with mechs. Only thing is u must be very weary as to how hard your squeezing and also be careful not to pull on the wire cause if it snaps ur looking at a short, but when using thick wire its not as much of a problem but with 28 up it is.

As everything is with mechs is just being weary and careful
    PurpleVapes likes this.

Quick Robin to the VapeCave

AVF Regular
    The main attraction of ceramic tweezers is that you can squeeze coils while they are firing as the ceramic is non-conductive.

I'm not 100% sure if this is frowned upon on mechs (in case of shorts on the coil and atty itself) but on regulated devices this is fine.
    PurpleVapes and merexy like this.

AVF Regular
    I had no idea this was the norm. All this time Ive been lighting it up, letting go of the button and squeezing, doing this over and over.

Thanks guys.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post
    I had no idea this was the norm. All this time Ive been lighting it up, letting go of the button and squeezing, doing this over and over.

Thanks guys.
    And regardless of what tweezers you have that is the safest way to do it! Stick with that.
    PurpleVapes likes this.

AVF Regular
    I have seen a youtube clip where the coil builder somehow got the coil stuck to the ceramic tweezers whilst firing and broke it off. But I'm assuming that's an extremely rare occurance.

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by himynameisbunny View Post
    The main attraction of ceramic tweezers is that you can squeeze coils while they are firing as the ceramic is non-conductive.

I'm not 100% sure if this is frowned upon on mechs (in case of shorts on the coil and atty itself) but on regulated devices this is fine.
    Regulated, mech: doesn't matter as long as squeezing the coil doesn't drop the resistance below what's safe.

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by merexy View Post
    And regardless of what tweezers you have that is the safest way to do it! Stick with that.
    Thousands of people worldwide have been squeezing & firing using ceramic tweezers since I introduced the concept 6 months ago.

If there's anything unsafe about it I'd love to hear about it.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fad View Post
    Thousands of people worldwide have been squeezing & firing using ceramic tweezers [bold] since I introduced [/bold] the concept 6 months ago.

If there's anything unsafe about it I'd love to hear about it.
    Is that right is it? U started the FAD

Quick Robin to the VapeCave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast