• 3 Post By btobw
  • 1 Post By jeno1200
  • 1 Post By Crisscross
  • 1 Post By Captain
  • 2 Post By btobw

Thread: Drift m22

AVF Regular

Drift m22

I'm sure I typed the thread title as 'DRIFT M22' ...

The Pre-Order Process

I pre-ordered on 31 July with an expected wait time of 8 weeks. The orders were shipped on 25 September, and delivered to my door on 30 September - spot on time. Pre-orders could be cancelled at any time before shipping for a full refund.

Communication was flawless, with regular weekly emails to advise of progress made during the previous week and what was expected to happen in the upcoming week.

The Cost

The pre-order cost was US$99, though this is expected to increase for the the next production run. For this you get:

• Three tubes: 18350, 18490/500, & 18650
      Made from 6061 military grade aluminum. Each tube is micro bead blasted for a finish unlike any you have felt before. Grippy, yet smooth and luxurious, you almost have to touch the M22 to fully understand.

We anodize each tube in a deep blue color which increases hardness and corrosion resistance.
    • Brushed SS switch and top cap
      Made from 303 stainless steel with a subtle brushed finish.

The bottom switch has a reverse threaded locking ring with a recessed button so you can feel confident when setting your M22 down unlocked. The top cap has a floating 510 connection pin.

Silver plated copper contact points are standard and the delrin is spring loaded, eliminating the need for adjustments from swapping batteries and/or atomizers.

As there are three tubes, I also ordered a spare switch and top cap (US$74.99). Shipping was fast (EMS) but expensive at US$56.44.

The Product

Every piece and part of the M22 is made in the United States. From each stainless steel screw, to the wooden box that your M22 comes in, its all genuine American made quality.
    Beautifully presented, beautifully finished. I love blue, and the bead-blasted finish feels fabulous in the hand They had a poll for what colours people would like to see next, so I expect there will be more options in the future.

I'm not sure what the threading is, but it's NOT M20x1 (it's much coarser); so I can't,for example, use my Heron in hybrid mode.

The Pros

Great pre-order price for the mod itself. Spectacularly great communication and a beautifully finished, understated product. I think customer service is going to be fantastic (see under 'The Cons').

The Con

The switch is very, very stiff for me (Edit: BUT SEE MY UPDATE POST BELOW - I'm loving this mod now I have a softer spring - the bead blasted finish feels great in the hand). I'm used to the featherlight GP Paps switches, and I'm a very lazy vaper; having to put physical effort into vaping is not my style

HOWEVER, within a couple of days of shipping, I received an email which said in part:

You are one of the first customers of DRIFT and well bend over backwards to show our commitment to you and to our first mod.

One thing we have gotten a lot of feedback on is the button spring being a bit too stiff. We are currently testing some lighter springs and will send one out to you if so wish. Just reply back to this email if you want one. It may take about a week to get them in FYI.
    As is, the switch is unusable for me. It's going to be very interesting to see how it goes with the replacement springs when they arrive. In the meantime, when I get a chance I will pull the switch apart, give it a clean, and see if shortening the current spring helps.

How to disassemble and assemble the M22 bottom switch - DRIFT
    Last edited by btobw; 30-09-14 at 08:46 PM.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    Looks awesome! I always thought i was a pureist when it comes to my mods (only stainless, copper or brass etc) But that blue is spectacular.
    btobw likes this.

AVF Regular
    It is stunning. I love the blue and it goes with your prov.
    btobw likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    great write up and pictures. I too had issues with a tough spring on a mod i purchased a while back (Diablo Reaver) however after a week of use it got easier to push and now i enjoy it a lot more. It is not a recessed switch so it needs to have a bit of tension so you can place it down without fire. Hope it all works out for you on this one. Shame that a lot of modders do not see 20x1 threading as a standard now.
    btobw likes this.
    Last cigarette: March 14th, 2010 - Started Vaping Feb, 2010.

"Praise the God of all. Drink the wine. And let the world be the world"

AVF Regular
    The blue is totally gorgeous! My Provari no longer looks quite so blue, Chris I did, of course, buy the M22 based solely on looks.

And oh what a difference a spring makes! I rummaged round and found a spare copper spring from my GP Paps Lux 2.5 that is the same size as the larger M22 spring, but a lot, lot, lot softer.

I also had some spares from my Paps-Xs, but they are firmer. This spring is giving me the featherlight touch that I love. The switch on the M22 is very well recessed and locks, so auto firing won't be a problem.

This is not the first time I've found GP spares to be useful for other mods.
    Captain and Crisscross like this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    I had forgotten about this thread, but was reminded when I noticed the M22s were in stock in black and purple, as well as the original blue. Price is now $149; you get all three tubes, so I think it's still good value. Price of an extra switch and top cap is unchanged.

I should add that the free replacement springs arrived quite some time ago, and are much better than the originals. Service has been impeccable. A screwdriver slipped and I gouged the silver-plated screw in the switch; they sent a replacement for that, along with the springs.

I use this mod daily, and it's often the one that gets thrown in a bag or slipped into a holder when I go out. It's held up extremely well after a couple of months of solid use:
    Last edited by btobw; 07-12-14 at 11:10 AM.