Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Evangalising- - not really.

AVF Regular

Evangalising- - not really.

I just hooked up a 4th person at work with some slightly better vaping gear rather than cigalikes and the dodgy stuff they push on the curious at many B&M and online stores.

I passed on ( for cost) a better battery ( iStick - too pink) and set her up with some clearos and fluid. She dearly wanted to get set up before a holiday to Qld in a few days. Doesn't sound like she will quit cigs, but will now cut down a lot, she is already saying how much more satisfying it is than the poor gear she was sold before. Has asked me to get a little more gear and juice to have spares of everything, and last out the whole of her holiday. It feels good that she is going this way with my help and advice.

(She approached me I should add).

I think her hubby may be very happy with me at the Xmas party this year.

I did not profit from this, I in fact subsidised her gear, (and ran around getting bits and pieces in my free time after a night shift before working again) for her, so I am not profiteering.

I really hope this takes.

AVF Regular
    Nicely done.

One thing I learnt through the journey was to help people order the gear themselves. Most of the frustrations I see for new vapers is the time it takes to replenish supplies. They get all excited in the start and that drops very quickly when a package is slow or missing. If they order themselves they understand the planning and the waiting that goes hand in hand with this new hobby.

Lastly is that when you give them gear you have a vested interest in their success and that can create some pressure on them. Give them the space to walk their own path.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 01-10-14 at 06:36 AM.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Retired Account
    We gave LOTS of stuff to people who smoked after we started vaping with the expectation that they would easily manage to transition from smoking to vaping just as we had done. Very little real success with this. I agree with XX, and would also add that making your own financial investment in vaping is probably part of being successful for many people. If you've laid out the cash, especially when smoking is taking up most or all of your discretionary spending from week to week, you're more heavily invested in all respects in your own success.

AVF Regular
    AVFs wise old crones have nailed it above.
    Just need crotchety old ingrid and essie to lob in for it to be fully wise.

Retired Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Looks like you get newt's eye and bat's wing soup for the rest of the week, Mr Smarty Pants

AVF Regular
    LOL!
    Well... before seeing MrG's comment I was going to chime in on this anyway

But yes, in the couple of years I've been vaping, I've learned a lot about how best to 'convert'. For those close to me, giving them gear and showing them how and where to order was possible. There has been some success with this.
    PIFing or selling stuff cheap on AVF (given freely cos I had it to give and be useful) was fine, but doing that for strangers offline just because they asked, I knew was not going to work. One gets a vibe about such things and learns to recognise them soon enough.

What has worked extremely well, has been doing absolutely nothing at all, except for passing on business cards of vendors I've acquired amongst vapemail. The thing that has been the biggest surprise has been seeing people coming in with their own PVs, who say they saw me vaping and so checked it out for themselves.

So the biggest lesson of all for me, has been to simply do my thing, and if others are interested, they can do similar if they so choose.

Of course I wax lyrical about my experience if someone's foolish enough to ask, but that's as far as it goes. I'm not a fan of evangelism of any kind. In fact I've shut off notifications from a relative who is a rabid athiest (cool with that - I'm one too in at least a 'religious' context), but what annoys more than doorknockers, even more than the Christian music playing in Vinnies, is a bloody evangelical athiest. Annoying as all hell.

Crisscross, Nakor and Browny like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Crones...........Splutter Bah..........

Seriously it's really hard to contain your enthusiasm and not scare people off. If you keep checking their progress, offering asked for advise and bombarding them with things to try, they will start refusing to meet your eye and in the long run will avoid contact. Hard to do when you work together (nowhere to run).

Be supportive, helpful and informative when asked and let them find their comfort zone.
    essiemessy and akef38 like this.

AVF Regular
    Im really enjoying the vaping experience and it has in its infancy for me become a bit of a talking piece with some people that are close to me.
    I do wish I had more disposable income to help all those that have asked of late for help in quitting, I do wish I could get them kits and some starting juice. But its not realistic
    I've had a few who ask me to order for them and do all the leg work for them, and although I try and persuade them to read up and learn to do it themselves, they still wait for me to do it for them. So in turn, they have continued to smoke and I guess a part of me feels a little guilty, even though Im not the one making the choice

My vested interests that I have had no problem in giving my simple ego's, tanks and juice have been close family and friends
    As always I try and point them to here and tell them to sign up and start reading and learning
    The few who are interested have been mature ladies and quite often more than not, there excuse is "Im too old, I dont understand the internet and now you want me to understand vaping?"
    Its a fine line where they loose interest or they pursue it, and thats a part where I havent found the right tact for yet
    Although thanks to mrs308, mrsgruffy and some of the other intelligent ladies I've encountered on here ... I have often used you guys as fine examples of knowledgable ladies

*edit*
    On a side note, I usually point them to the 'where is the lady mod" section and point out what fantastic looking mods there are lol
    Last edited by Noonoo; 01-10-14 at 11:13 AM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noonoo View Post
    Im really enjoying the vaping experience and it has in its infancy for me become a bit of a talking piece with some people that are close to me.
    I do wish I had more disposable income to help all those that have asked of late for help in quitting, I do wish I could get them kits and some starting juice. But its not realistic
    I've had a few who ask me to order for them and do all the leg work for them, and although I try and persuade them to read up and learn to do it themselves, they still wait for me to do it for them. So in turn, they have continued to smoke and I guess a part of me feels a little guilty, even though Im not the one making the choice

My vested interests that I have had no problem in giving my simple ego's, tanks and juice have been close family and friends
    As always I try and point them to here and tell them to sign up and start reading and learning
    The few who are interested have been mature ladies and quite often more than not, there excuse is "Im too old, I dont understand the internet and now you want me to understand vaping?"
    Its a fine line where they loose interest or they pursue it, and thats a part where I havent found the right tact for yet
    Although thanks to mrs308, mrsgruffy and some of the other intelligent ladies I've encountered on here ... I have often used you guys as fine examples of knowledgable ladies
    What I did and still do is host a morning tea. During that tea we talk about vaping, go online and setup accounts at vendors, order their gear and use their addresses. We talk about what works and what people like. We also share around some extra bits people have lying around. When their packages arrive they have already been shown how to use it or have been using borrowed gear and can normally get going straight away.

We are working on DIY eliquids and people share concentrates and recipes. It's been going for over a year and seems to be a comfortable environment for everyone and people come and go when they want to. Mostly women who then take the knowledge home to the hubbies and explain it in terminology they understand.
    giruvian, Fatman, MrGruffy and 2 others like this.

So Noo, sweet n sour pork at ur house, we can talk vape, sounds like a plan, I'll pencil it in... although our Google video chat thing was funny last night, could barely see u thru ur clouds dude!
    Noonoo likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast