Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Oldhead

Thread: I need some help with batteries and charger for a DNA 30

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

I need some help with batteries and charger for a DNA 30

I saw a whole bunch of different box mods around and settled on a Cloupor DNA 30 V3 as my first mod. Can someone point me in the right direction with good quality batteries and charger types. It seems the Sony VTC4/5 are popular? I'm not doing any adventurous mods just yet, but I plan on a Magma RDA or something similar soon to gain experience and use for testing new juices. I'm open to any suggestions. I only vape about 2ml a day currently on a Naut mini, and figure just a couple of batteries would be enough? I've seen batteries with up to 5000mah, but don't read much on here about them. I'm really quite lost, and would be very grateful for some logic and direction with my venture.

AVF Regular
    Check out the batteries from (supersports) he is a member here and he wont lead you wrong.
    Batteries are the heart of your mod , so play safe ,only buy reputable brands NOT dangerous knock offs. A couple extra bucks could save your life.
    Please read battery safety stickies here. to your question re sony genuine VTC4/5 yes there fine .
    Last edited by Oldhead; 02-10-14 at 06:46 PM.
    Fatman and Toddosh like this.

AVF Regular
    VTC4/5s are hard to come by at the moment but the Samsung 25Rs seem to be the next best based on my research. I just got 2 from Supersports for $25 with free shipping.

Thanks Oldhead. I did read the battery safety sticky. I thought quality was important, but I didn't know before this forum, just how important, and how dangerous they can be.

Vapeboss has sony VTC5s in stock. I just grabbed a few with a new cana modz of them. $15 each is only $2 more than I laid for the last lot but with the impeccable customer service from Matt I will buy more and more off him. I was looking at the samsungs and MNKE batteries but check out vapeboss.

Matt also stocks the Efest LUC4 charger, I have been using it for the past 3 months and its fantastic. Fast charge time and has a display to show the battery stats. Highly recommend.
    Last edited by kazzman; 03-10-14 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzman View Post
    Vapeboss has sony VTC5s in stock. I just grabbed a few with a new cana modz of them. $15 each is only $2 more than I laid for the last lot but with the impeccable customer service from Matt I will buy more and more off him. I was looking at the samsungs and MNKE batteries but check out vapeboss.

Matt also stocks the Efest LUC4 charger, I have been using it for the past 3 months and its fantastic. Fast charge time and has a display to show the battery stats. Highly recommend.
    This is all well and good for your FAST charge but people need to understand a couple of things:
    A; A lot of batteries can not handle a 2A charge
    B; Your batteries will always last longer with a slow charge, trickle charging is best
    Thks

2A charge is specified for 26650 batteries. .5A is what the LUC4 defaults to. You can select between .5A 1A or 2A. 1A charge is perfectly safe for 18650s and fast charge times. As for battery life I havent noticed a differance compared to charging my batteries in the el cheapo trustfire charger.

Also I am of the knowledge 18350s should only be chaged at .5A rate.
    I haven't used the 2A charge mode as I dont have batteries suited for it.
    This is just to elaborate on earlier post. As Golfnut says trickle charge is best.
    I like the LUC4 as it will display each battery voltage. Good to keep an eye on the voltage as I cant tell what it is on a mech mod. I switch batteries at 3.6 vts and you can tell when it gets this low. Using a carto tank or clearomiser on the other hand I have unknowingly drained batteries below 3.5 volts. Hence why I bought a cana mod.

Awesome information guys. I'm learning heaps from you all which will save me from making some dumb mistakes. I've got a multimeter at home, so the information you're giving me will help to get the most out of my gear.
    Vapoureyes has the LUC V4 for $39.95, and local to me. Getting some VTC5 batts on their way too.
    What's happening to me? I'm getting all excited about my new mod coming, and buying all this new gear to learn and play with. I think I've caught "the bug", and can only see it getting worse before it gets better. lol

Quote Originally Posted by kazzman View Post
    2A charge is specified for 26650 batteries. .5A is what the LUC4 defaults to. You can select between .5A 1A or 2A. 1A charge is perfectly safe for 18650s and fast charge times. As for battery life I havent noticed a differance compared to charging my batteries in the el cheapo trustfire charger.

Also I am of the knowledge 18350s should only be chaged at .5A rate.
    I haven't used the 2A charge mode as I dont have batteries suited for it.
    This is just to elaborate on earlier post. As Golfnut says trickle charge is best.
    I like the LUC4 as it will display each battery voltage. Good to keep an eye on the voltage as I cant tell what it is on a mech mod. I switch batteries at 3.6 vts and you can tell when it gets this low. Using a carto tank or clearomiser on the other hand I have unknowingly drained batteries below 3.5 volts. Hence why I bought a cana mod.
    This is simply not true. And its what Im referring to. 2A might be the charge current for a 26650 that YOU are looking at but NOT ALL 26650 will handle that charge current. Check the specs. Newbies can take these comments as gospel so be clear in what you are saying. Anyway be SAFE.