Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Got my Orchid Clone a bit hot

AVF Regular

Got my Orchid Clone a bit hot

So I had a little thermal incident last night.

I had the Orchid clone on a Stingray in 18350 mode, running at about .8ohm. Placed it down on the table, and came back a few minutes later for a toke, and it was so hot I almost dropped it. It had dumped the juice through the air holes onto the table. I quickly got it out side, battery out and pulled down to cool off. Battery seems ok - discharged to 3.1V. Charged it after it had cooled down - it didn't seem to get too hot

Looks like I've redistributed some of the delrin insulator.

I've checked for a hard short, and can find none. Power still making it's way to all 3 terminal blocks ok.

Is this still safe to use ?

[edit] the delrin didn't run into the air channel- that a bit of cotton I hadn't cleaned away

Last edited by Altered1; 05-10-14 at 12:53 PM.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    altered - i woudnt use it on a mech again until its done some good time on a vv mod for a while and proven itself

if it happens again then at least the protection circuit in the vv mod will shut down if there is a problem

AVF Regular
    Thanks Avtek,

I think the magnets in the mech didn't hold (I should have locked it)- its a stupidly short throw on the stingray clone.

Will build bigger coils and put it on the Vamo for a while.
    Olfella, avtek and merexy like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

AVF Regular
    This has happened to me three times (yes I'm a slow learner) All three were on my Nemesis clones & Kayfun tanks, they got too hot to touch. I have the magnets in the switches so the switch can support the weight without it firing but when the silver plated screw starts to unscrew itself the switch fires too easily. I now keep checking the screw is fully tightened & no more problems.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    This has happened to me three times (yes I'm a slow learner) All three were on my Nemesis clones & Kayfun tanks, they got too hot to touch. I have the magnets in the switches so the switch can support the weight without it firing but when the silver plated screw starts to unscrew itself the switch fires too easily. I now keep checking the screw is fully tightened & no more problems.
    Are you just hand-tightening that screw? If so, you might be able to prevent it backing out by tightening it more securely with a tool. I take a pair of plyers to my switch contacts and they never back out.
    Altered1 and Sponky like this.

AVF Regular
    Yes, the throw on those is a bit short for my liking as well but they perform so well i put up with it, i found that some plumbers tape on the contact thread then screw it in tight with a screwdriver does the trick for me to stop it working loose.
    Altered1 likes this.
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    How do those orchids vape ? I just watched a couple vids and they got my interest, looks like 2 x 2mm airholes which is what i use at the moment, do you wick them like an aqua ?
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Hey sludge, it's a great vape. Easy to coil, Very airy draw. Cotton wick, just long enough to stick in the juice channels. Filling it is a bit of a challenge, but worked that out fairly quick.

[edit] Yep, just like the aqua
    Last edited by Altered1; 05-10-14 at 08:56 PM.
    Sludge likes this.

AVF Regular
    Looks good, might have to look at getting one.
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Mate, it will also take a kayfun nano kit if thats your thing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast