Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By fad

Thread: What's up with watts?

What's up with watts?

Do mods that exceed 15 watts provide any benefits to those with no intention of using more than that? Is battery life extended using a higher spec'd device at lower watts? If flavour is the major consideration do higher wattages (word?) generally provide more?
    Last edited by Chrisatmosphere; 10-10-14 at 09:35 PM.
    "Tequila, scorpion honey, harsh dew of the doglands, essence of Aztec, crema de cacti; tequila, oily and thermal like the sun in solution; tequila, liquid geometry of passion; Tequila, the buzzard god who copulates in midair with the ascending souls of dying virgins; tequila, firebug in the house of good taste; O tequila, savage water of sorcery, what confusion and mischief your sly, rebellious drops do generate!

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisatmosphere View Post
    Do mods that exceed 15 watts provide any benefits to those with no intention of using more than that?
    Not really.

Is battery life extended using a higher spec'd device at lower watts?
    That would depend on the efficiency of the device. A lot of high watt mods now come with dual batteries in series,
    or even LiPo packs. Run those at low wattages and they'll run for days.

If flavour is the major consideration do higher wattages (word?) generally provide more?
    No. They provide more clouds, that's all. Getting great flavour while blowing huge clouds takes
    a lot of work. Great flavour from an RBA such as a Kayfun is a lot more straightforward.
    merexy and Skoville like this.

I had the same questions until I got into the newer RBA's, RTA's. I had the Kayfun and in my builds, the extra wattage gave no advantage, but once I got some Orchids and Vulcans, the extra wattage really is worth it, With these, at higher wattage, the flavour goes to another level and is definitely worth it.

I like the idea of batteries in series for extended life. Any recommendations for lowish wattage (or higher wattage to be used at lower settings for purpose of extended battery life), box mods with this set up?
    Last edited by Chrisatmosphere; 10-10-14 at 11:10 PM.
    "Tequila, scorpion honey, harsh dew of the doglands, essence of Aztec, crema de cacti; tequila, oily and thermal like the sun in solution; tequila, liquid geometry of passion; Tequila, the buzzard god who copulates in midair with the ascending souls of dying virgins; tequila, firebug in the house of good taste; O tequila, savage water of sorcery, what confusion and mischief your sly, rebellious drops do generate!

fad
    AVF Regular
    I like the idea of batteries in series for extended life. Any recommendations for lowish wattage (or higher wattage to be used at lower settings for purpose of extended battery life), box mods with this set up?
    Something like a DogMods "Big Bully" SX350 LiPo boxmod. At 9000mah it might well power a clearo for the better part of a week.

Check /r/OpenPV, /r/PVCommission and /r/boxmods for other mod makers as well.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Do mods that exceed 15 watts provide any benefits to those with no intention of using more than that?
    The only real benefit is the amp limit on the device. A Provari might max out at 15w, but unless you build a higher resistance coil you'll always be off by a bit. It's probably not even worth considering, though.

If flavour is the major consideration do higher wattages (word?) generally provide more?
    This is dependent on your flavoring, pg/vg mix and the coils/atty you're using. If your mod is cranked up insanely high (or you're running super sub-ohm on a mech) then yes you're probably just trying to blow clouds. Outside of that it's all based on your personal taste. Everything is far too variable to say whether or not you will want to stick with 15w all the time.