Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Coil problems...

Coil problems...

Hi Everybody,

I got my 454 big block dripper today and have had a couple issues and am asking for some advice...

I have tried a fair few different coil builds in it today from quad coils to singles and I just can't seem to get it to give a solid vape... Using a MVP and .25mm kanthal... In quad it wouldnt even get warm enough to vape, so I am guessing that the MVP isnt powerful enough to heat it properly...

Then when I build a dual it still lacks power (I run a body modified Kanger protank normally at 1.2 ohms)... But the fluid also tastes burnt when I use it... With a single it vapes ok (about the same as the pro tank out of the box), but I kinda expected more from the unit... I tested the connection and ensured the pin was making good contact with the base... The coils where not shorting...

When I dry fire the coils at whatever ohm I build them without wick they never glow...

I am using rayon cotton (Vapoureyes is out of organic cotton) and have tried more and less cotton but all liquids taste pretty much the same and on the verge of burnt...

This is my first RDA and have only just started building my own coils... What the hell am I doing wrong?

AVF Regular
    Sorry to say your MVP is just not up to it. Probably a bit advanced on the dripper too for your first one. I'm not sure what the MVP will fire down to but I don't think it will do under 1.2ohms.

And your Kanthal is way too thick for the poor thing.

29 -30 gauge, single coil between 1.5 to 2ohms and you'll be doing something.

Try a Magma or something like that for your first dripper, better still get an Aga-T5 and practice on a tank. Far more forgiving and it'll still knock your socks of taste wise.
    Last edited by merexy; 14-10-14 at 11:46 PM.

AVF Regular
    0.25mm is 30guage kanthal. You should be able to get something working at this guage on the MVP.

If you cant get your coils glowing red then there's a serious build issue. Definitely start with a single coil and get that right before you play with more.

Post pics of your build so we can try and help.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

AVF Regular
    Yeah single coil only for a MVP. Maybe try single coil with more wraps. Like at least 6 or 7.
    (I actually had a dream last night I was building quad coils on a 454, maybe I better buy one. Haha)

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sign me up View Post
    0.25mm is 30guage kanthal.
    Apologies. Was not reading right......

AVF Regular
    Try more wraps around a smaller diameter rod (maybe 8 or 9 wraps around 2mm = 1.8-2.0 ohms). You want to keep the total mass of the coil low while staying at a comfortable resistance for the MVP. You'll still have the problem that the MVP is under-powered and can't take advantage of all the space and air that a dripper provides.

Edit: BTW, your rayon may need some break-in time. I find it gives a slight burnt taste (without any visible burning) for a few minutes before it begins to shine.
    Last edited by Vapetoomuch; 15-10-14 at 12:36 AM.

I will do another build tomorrow and post some photos... Just ran some figures through steam for a 30ga 7 wrap On a 2mm inner dia should put it around 1.5 ohms...

Can you use to much wick?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Can you use to much wick?
    Generally, less wick is better, but it depends on the device. The coil should pinch the wick tightly while still allowing it to be pulled through with a little force. The amount of wick to stuff into the well is often up to personal preference.

AVF Regular

Coil problems...

What ohms are you building your coil at?
    Remember that 2 x 1.2ohm coils will come out at .6ohm, this will not fire on your MVP.
    Stick to a single micro coil around 1.5-2.0ohm, wack some cotton in it (not tight), drip some juice on it and away you go.
    Set it to 8w and either bump them up or down to your liking.
    Worry about duals and quad coils when you have the single down pat and you understand battery safety and ohms law.
    conner83 likes this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

I think that the potential of your 454 will be severely limited by the power output of the MVP. Do what these guys are saying (single coil, 1.5-2.0ohm) and it should be vapeable... But if you really want it to shine, you'll need a higher wattage device that can handle lower res builds.

FYI - I am by no means an expert, I'm relatively new to rebuilding also, but I went through the same learning curve you are now just a few weeks ago...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast