Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Storing a fresh batteries.

AVF Regular

Storing a fresh batteries.

It probably has been mentioned but i could not find the thread.
    I bought two fresh Samsung 25R 18650 2500 mAh battery the other day, an impulse buy lol.
    I don't need to use it as yet as my LG HE 2 batts are only 5 months old.
    So just wondering of what is the best way to store them? And do I have to fully charge them first before going to storage?
    Cheers, Don.

AVF Regular
    If you are going to store them for a long period of time fully charge em n put them in the fridge, but if u think you'll use them in the next year then just charge them n put them in a draw
    hun113 likes this.

Quick Robin to the VapeCave

AVF Regular
    Cheers bro, helpful as always, yeah I'll just put it in a battery case as I'm sure I'll use it within 6 months when my LG is about a year old. Could be sooner if the LG don't hold up.
    Cheers Minnaz, putting them in the charger now.

Li-ion batteries deteriorate with age. If stored room temp at half charge, the permanent capacity loss is 2% per year. If stored at full charge, they can deteriorate 20% per year. Higher temperatures increase and lower temperatures reduce this. They are shipped from the factory at optimal charge for storage.

Copied from supersports page so I'm not too sure I would fully charge them before storing.....
    Fatman and bank like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by knightflyer View Post
    Li-ion batteries deteriorate with age. If stored room temp at half charge, the permanent capacity loss is 2% per year. If stored at full charge, they can deteriorate 20% per year. Higher temperatures increase and lower temperatures reduce this. They are shipped from the factory at optimal charge for storage.

Copied from supersports page so I'm not too sure I would fully charge them before storing.....
    No shit... they must be different to VTCs then, because its all over the net that they are better to be stored at full charge and coll dry place short term or in the fridge for long term.
    Maybe its because they are hybrid?

Don't know Minnaz, but that quote came from the VTC4 sales page... pehaps email supersport and get a definative answer...
    All my batteries are rotated through and spend no more than a couple of days charged before being used.

AVF Regular
    Lol yeah same. I got like 20 batteries and they all get used and recharged a couple of times a week

Super Moderator
    Normal deal with most li-ion is that they are better stored with a "maintenance charge " which is usually 70% or so ... this is why you have to charge batteries before you use them .... Too much stored energy , or too little is what will do the damage if you are not using them for extended periods of time

* if in doubt always refer back to the manufacturer
    kritikal, coopz and hun113 like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Has just texted SS and here is the reply "Store approx half ish charged, depending on battery optimal is around 3.6 to 3.7v. It helps storing them in a fridge but not worth it with moisture etc."
    So just took my batts of the charger and tested them, they are at 3.9v, goes into the plastic casing inside a drawer they have lol.
    supersports600 and Fatman like this.

AVF Regular
    From a Sony PDF regarding the US18650 series (Page 17 - https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...J_E1kPl8z4KRZg)

"2-3-2 Long-term storage characteristics
    When batteries are stored over a long period, depending on the battery state and the storage temperature, in some cases irreversible deterioration may occur and the battery will fail to hold a charge even after recharging. Deterioration is not observed in batteries in the discharged state, but the greater the charge in the battery, the more pronounced the deterioration after storage. Also, the higher the storage temperature, the greater the deterioration tends to be. For these reasons, lithium ion rechargeable batteries should be in the discharged state when stored for extended lengths of time, and it is desirable that they be stored in a low-temperature environment."

I've always charged my batteries to 3.7V (if they need it), put them in an air tight container and stored them in the freezer. There's never any discernible potential charge loss for me.
    Robray, Fatman, coopz and 1 others like this.

(*Susceptible to sloppy moderation)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast