Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How Do BVC's and Kanger Coils Work?

AVF Regular

How Do BVC's and Kanger Coils Work?

I'm just curious.
    These things I screw into my cleartomizers work a treat, but how do they work? How do they heat the juice? Do they use wick? Mesh? Where is the heating element?
    As far as I can tell it's voodoo magic.

AVF Regular
    A standard Kanger uses a wire coil wrapped around a length of silica wick, which soaks up the juice. The battery heats the coil, which heats the juice in the wick and creates the vapour.

A Kanger dual coil has two coils, one slightly above the other one.

A BVC, as far as I understand, is a similar set up but the coil stands vertical in it's metal case, rather than horizontal.
    Last edited by JenJ; 25-10-14 at 12:49 AM. Reason: grammar

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    A standard Kanger uses a wire coil wrapped around a length of silica wick, which soaks up the juice. The battery heats the coil, which heats the juice in the wick and creates the vapour.

A dual Kanger coil has two coils, one slightly above the other one.

A BVC, as far as I understand, is a similar set up but the coil stands vertical in it's metal case, rather than horizontal.
    So basically, voodoo magic with a bit of science ☺
    Altered1 likes this.
    I don't blow clouds. I might if they bought me dinner and made me feel appreciated every now and then...

AVF Regular
    Yep, pretty much.

AVF Regular
    Pull one apart and it will give you an insight . Very simple (astro physics and nuclear engineering sciences) .
    Seriously it does pay to have a working knowledge /understanding of how things work ,this will allow you to problem solve any issues that arise from carto/tanks and coils /wicking etc.
    Kanger coils are cheap ,but you can also rebuild them yourself if inclined .

Super Moderator
    BVCs are coiled vertically, but instead of being wrapped around a wicking material, the wicking material is wrapped around the coil.
    JenJ likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    The BVC uses some kind of ceramic wicking material. Pauly Meatballs shows a breakdown of it here: Aspire Nautilus BVC head breakdown - hi def slideshow - YouTube
    Jamesg likes this.

AVF Regular
    They are little cigarettes linked to a battery operated blasting cap. A dry hit is when you're vaping all the way down to the filter. :P

Now's a good a time as any to admit to lighting up the wrong end of a cigarette in the dark on more than one occasion. Still tasted better than a gunked Yaeliq coil.
    Altered1 likes this.

AVF Regular
    yeah cheers for the answers and the vid.
    Particularly the kanger coils have such a slim post i can't see anything in there to figure out what's going on there. With the BVC you can see the metal mesh, I thought that might have been part of the heating process, apparently its just there to pack down the wicking material.
    So essentially it's your standard wick & wire but packed in so deep and tight you can't see it?

AVF Regular
    The best explanation I've heard for the mesh is that it is there to stop liquid spattering up into the air channel.

Don't know much about the new Kanger coils. I did my first rebuilds on the old ones; they were easy to pull apart. Edit: But I'm sure there are videos out there where you can see the new Kanger coils taken apart. They're just silica wick through thin gauge wire coils, one on top of the other.
    Last edited by Vapetoomuch; 25-10-14 at 10:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast