Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By tandem.biscuit
  • 2 Post By fad
  • 2 Post By Fatman

Thread: Variation in USB charging time

Variation in USB charging time

I have a Kanger EVOD VV (variable voltage) 1000 mAh battery, which I charge with a USB charger from computers. From my floor-standing PC at work it takes about 5.5 hours to charge, but from my Toshiba laptop it takes about 3.5 hours. What would account for such a large difference?

I notice this too between my laptop, desktop and phone charger.

I'm no expert, but believe it has something to do with the USB port's mA output.
    Fatman and Hidden1 like this.

You would think that USB ports would conform to some standard and be not too different.

I have been told by one of the tech guys at work that all the sockets on my work PC are USB 3.0, even though some are blue and some black. On the laptop the guy in the shop said only one socket is a "fast" USB (the blue one, and I assume that's USB 3.0), but that's not the one I use to charge the battery. It would be surprising to me if the most advanced USB has lower current than earlier versions.

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    You would think that USB ports would conform to some standard and be not too different.
    Just like all 510 atomizers & mod connectors work perfectly together.

Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    I have been told by one of the tech guys at work that all the sockets on my work PC are USB 3.0,
    even though some are blue and some black. On the laptop the guy in the shop said only one socket is a "fast" USB
    (the blue one, and I assume that's USB 3.0), but that's not the one I use to charge the battery. It would be surprising
    to me if the most advanced USB has lower current than earlier versions.
    More advanced does not mean "more power", it means "more smarts". It's entirely likely that the port
    is sending low power and waiting for the USB device to tell it "I'm a high-power device, hit me!" before
    ramping up to high power.

BTW: don't risk breaking your thousand-dollar device to charge your vape gear. Buy a $10 wall USB charger.
    Fatman and Hidden1 like this.

AVF Regular
    USB 3 puts out up to 900mA, more with latest versions.
    USB 2 and lower puts out up to500mA, less with earlier versions

Both run much the same volt output ~ 5v ish

Charge your thing off USB 3 for faster charge, unless your device limits the current.
    As Fad pointed out, some/most USB 3 ports are smart and can provide lower/greater power depending on the signals negotiated between the device and the USB driver.

Also your wall charger will have its max output written on it ie 400mA, 500ma or 1A

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandem.biscuit View Post
    I notice this too between my laptop, desktop and phone charger.

I'm no expert, but believe it has something to do with the USB port's mA output.
    This ^^^^ Most are regulated to 500mA I believe , but some systems are not and power management might dictate a lower charge rate

Laptops tend to have the full 500 mA as a lot of peripherals used by lappys are powered by the laptop ( hard drives etc ) where desktop peripherals often assume they can be externally powered .

* Not a PC expert , but my observation and opinion .

( edit ahh crap see what happens when you have 23 new posts up at once and dont get to the end ones for an hour while everyone else is typing LMAO , half a dozen more knowledgeable people pop up and post in the meantime so you look like an idiot )
    )
    MrGruffy and Skoville like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

And in case your wondering, my Samsung phone charger wins hands-down. I guess it has a higher mA as it is made to charge stuff - not for data transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by fad View Post
    More advanced does not mean "more power", it means "more smarts". It's entirely likely that the port
    is sending low power and waiting for the USB device to tell it "I'm a high-power device, hit me!" before
    ramping up to high power.

BTW: don't risk breaking your thousand-dollar device to charge your vape gear. Buy a $10 wall USB charger.
    That sounds like the likely explanation. In every other respect the PC's ports work well, so they probably just aren't being instructed to supply more current.

Is my PC really at risk? The charger circuitry (with the flashing green/red LED) is between the battery and the port, and whatever the battery does it won't put more than its max. 4.2 V on the port, will it?

Thanks for the other info and suggestions, people.