Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Provari P3-20W?

I bought a P2 2nd hand and it's what I've been using ever since. I was tempted to buy the P3 but its way too expensive for me for what you get. My personal opinion is buy a used P2. If you need more power buy a DNA. I think Evolv DNA40 will be my next purchase purely for the temp control.

Addy
    steve.c and sliu121 like this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by k.rad View Post
    If you're content with vaping attys that don't require higher wattage to perform at their best (e.g. RDA's), then I'm guessing the P3 will be a solid, well built device.

Personally, I was pretty disappointed with what they came up with after resting on their laurels for the past couple of years and just milking the original ProVari cash cow. It doesn't seem a very significant leap forward considering how much time has passed since they've released a product.

I'd much rather support Evolv and buy a DNA40 device if I was to buy a high-end VW device.
    I think that Provape is catering to the majority of vapers. I reckon most would vape in the 8-15 watt range which the P3 would be perfect for. Provape has always been about safety first and foremost - so they are naturally going to aim for a maximum wattage that is well and truly within safety limits of batteries. Basically the provari is idiot proof. I don't think it's a matter of resting on their laurels - it's just that their product has always delivered for the market that they're aiming for.

Now that VW is the go for pretty much everyone, they've come up with their version of VW. But they'd still be aiming at the same market, so no need to push the boundaries further.

Of course this would be disappointing for the high wattage vapers, but it appears that for many cloud chasers the aim of the game is to push for more and more vapour, and to push safety limits further and further, so even if provape brought out a 30 watt provari, it wouldn't be long before the same people would be screaming for a 40 watt version and so on and so forth. I guess they just drew their line in the sand and said 20 watts is it.

Am I a provari fan - hell yes I have three of them - it's the mod I finally settled on after trying a multitude of mods over a 3 year period. I am one of the many whose vaping style falls into the 8-15 watt bracket, so they are ideal for me. (and that includes using some RDA's What wattage constitutes best performance is subject to personal taste )

Will I bother will the P3 - probably not. The three that I have are great performers, so I don't see the need.
    Ingrid

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

AVF Regular
    ...and to add a little on Provape..they are marketing g
    gurus....all done very slowly, very methodically with EXTREMELY clear intentions. They have captured the market they were seeking. In a cowboy industry they brought quality n simplicity in a consistently priced package. Bit like Harleys in the bike market..basic, strong an uncomplicated..they just do the job for the average Joe..
    They created their own market, fking kudos I say.

Super Moderator
    Yes Ingrid , but now one of your three was one of my two , now I need a P3 LOL

EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I bought one , wasn't going to but...

I use a Taifun GT alot and it looks awesome on it with them both being 23 mm , I never liked using the provari rings. I have a penelope v3 on there at the moment 1 Ω @ 18 watts and it is about perfect for me , i don't like hot vaper.

I found the menu system confusing to start with but funnily enough reading the instructions that came on a USB key sorted that. There is a bunch of stuff to fiddle with in there and it is very simple after 5 minutes messing about , I even have different profiles set for different atty's , The Taifun i don't vape at more than 13 watts and I don't use the boost , the pene at 18 watts with the boost thing set at 3 which helps heat up the thicker wire quicker.

I really like it , as always the quality is rock solid and having the ability to use 350 , 500 and 650 batteries is a bonus.
    steve.c and Vaporific like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by giruvian View Post
    Provape has always been about safety first and foremost - so they are naturally going to aim for a maximum wattage that is well and truly within safety limits of batteries. Basically the provari is idiot proof. I don't think it's a matter of resting on their laurels - it's just that their product has always delivered for the market that they're aiming for.

Now that VW is the go for pretty much everyone, they've come up with their version of VW. But they'd still be aiming at the same market, so no need to push the boundaries further.

Of course this would be disappointing for the high wattage vapers, but it appears that for many cloud chasers the aim of the game is to push for more and more vapour, and to push safety limits further and further, so even if provape brought out a 30 watt provari, it wouldn't be long before the same people would be screaming for a 40 watt version and so on and so forth. I guess they just drew their line in the sand and said 20 watts is it.
    Well, ProVape (Provari) and Evolv are the only two manufacturers in the game who manufacture in the US and have a high priority on safety and quality control.

I absolutely agree that ProVape are a great option for people who's utmost concern is safety and reliability, but my vote goes to Evolv since they have actually innovated (and quite probably made vaping much safer than ProVape) with their temperature sensing/control, and they allow their users to go to a higher wattage if they so desire.

If I was to drop $300 (or recommend a device at this pricepoint) I would much rather it be something like a VaporFlask over a P3. Evolv are at least still innovating, but Provape have been stagnant for years.
    Last edited by k.rad; 03-11-14 at 10:05 PM.

im vaping mine at the moment, I own a crap load of different mods and the way the p3 puts out the power is just perfect for flavour
    steve.c and Vaporific like this.

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)

Zombie Infection - ProVari 3

0:36

Zombie Infection - ProVari 3

by provape

The Zombies are Coming!!

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    I used to hear great things about the P2 Provari but I must admit the praises for the P3 seem rather sparse. I think Provape have missed the curve with a lot of people now preferring box type mods.
    I run my mech mod in 18350 mode to make it not look so big but I can have a box mod in 18650 mode that stands no higher than the mech mod in 18350 mode so the box mod is my preference now.
    I don't think the quality of the P3 is relevant really when it's already outdated upon release.
    Tube mods are so yesterday:-)

AVF Regular

I too was skeptical that a ProVari could be that good as to justify the price. I like tube based mods or (just to irritate a select few people) 'Rod Mods' and was eyeing off the P3 last year. I especially liked the safety features, as well as the look of them.

By that stage I already had gone through and finished with eGo style batteries, and was then using a combination of 2 x Sigelei Zmax minis ($55 a piece), 2 x Innokin Koolfire1 kits ($30-$40 each) and a Smok Zmax mini ($70). I listed the prices since I was always looking carefully at prices before purchase - I'm not made of money. The maximum wattage of the Innokin cool fire is 8.5 watts, for the Zmax mods (all 4 of them) it was 15 watts and I used them at 11, so I figured the 20 watt limit of the P3 should fit my needs more than enough. It was a bonus that it could take some mildly sub Ω (down to .7 Ω) tanks, but that was not a high priority for my needs (I typically use Kanger Mega Aerotanks with 1.8 Ω coils).

One of the features that got me especially interested in the P3 was the self adjusting center post. The Smok Zmax is a thin tube that then angles inwards further at the top. It looks silly with a Mega Aerotank on top, so I put a Kanger mini tank on there. But the Mega Aerotanks I use on either the Innokin or Sigelei Zmax mods always have a small gap between the bottom of the tank and the top face of the mod itself, suggesting the 510 connection is taking the entire strain from the tank. That worries me from the POV of 'longevity' but also looks .. cheap and nasty.

I fired questions off current ProVari owners who were all assuring me that a P3 was worth the investment, so when it came time for a yearly 'bonus payment' I took the plunge and bought one.

• I found I could vape on a P3 at 13 watts and it tasted as smooth as 11 watts on the Zmax mods.
    • It looked excellent when matched with the Kanger Mega Aerotank.
    • I can 'feel' the quality of the build when it is in hand.
    • I found (much to my surprise) that although I'm right handed in most things, I usually hold a mod in my left, so flipped the display to suit. (Niiiice..).
    • And on the subject of displays, I had configured the Zmax units to not show the 'menu' when firing since it really did not provide enough info. to offset the inconvenience of what was sometimes a quite bright light that would issue from them (I like being able to stealth vape in the evenings without my entire face/hand being lit up by a useless display). But the P3s offer both a brightness adjustment (minimum will do me, thanks) as well as information that is actually useful. I mostly look at the remaining battery and the coil resistance, the latter since the Kanger coils seem to drift upwards in resistance and eventually become unusable for that reason.

So.. after buying my first P3 and finally getting a feel for how it was as a 'vaping experience' - I liked it so much that I bought a second P3 (this one 2nd hand through the forum) for the '1st alternate' of my ADV.

But then, I typically carry 3 mods with me when I leave the house. One has my ADV (Espresso), the 2nd is for my 1st alternate flavor (either 'Salted Caramel' or 'Almond') and the third carries a 'stealth' vape (no VG, stronger nic.) of 'Tropical Fruit Salad' flavor.

I'm thinking of getting a 3rd P3 to replace the Zmax that hosts my stealth vape.

I cannot answer directly if a P3 is good for any other person, since it comes down to personal tastes and requirements from a mod, but if some of the things above are an accurate description of your vaping style and requirements, I'd strongly urge you to try one. For what they do, they do extremely well. They are bloody marvelous mods.
    Last edited by Vaporific; 23-05-15 at 07:11 AM.
    Fatman, Pipesub and rodbam like this.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast