Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Should I try a mech mod?

Should I try a mech mod?

Hey guys

Looking for some advice.

I've been at the vaping game for about 3 months now and really getting into drippers - love the flavour and the vapour as opposed to my clearos which I use when out and about.

Anyway, I've got a plume veil, magma and most recently, a little boy - all of which in using on my hana modz. All clones. I'm happy with all of my attys, but not the hana modz - don't be a cheapskate when it comes to vw mods. Lesson learned!

Anyway, thinking about trying a mech mod, and these are the reasons:
    1. I like the look of tube mods provided their relatively short - not like a vw/vv device that is as long as your arm.
    2. I like the idea of being able to swap out to a small or long tube.
    3. It's mechanical - less parts to go screwy (my Hana clone is very unreliable in my experience).
    4. Like the minimalistic look.

These are the reasons I am hesitant:
    1. I don't like the idea of all the extras I'm going to need - batteries, external charger, ohm reader etc.
    2. I don't like the idea of my vaping experience differing as the battery drains downwards (ie. the ultimate wattage dropping in line with battery charge).

I'm not looking to do any serious sub-ohming (currently build ~1.2-1.5 ohm single or dual coils) but may try down to maybe ~.7-.8 just to see what I'm missing. I typically vape at around 20-25w.

I'm not looking to cloud chase.

I have an understanding of ohms law and the importance of getting good batteries and using them safely.

I'm just looking for a nice looking, non-boxy, minimalistic and reliable vape, and I feel like a mech is gonna do it for me.

I understand that these things are subjective, but, noting my pros and cons above, should I take the plunge and give it a crack?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tandem.biscuit View Post
    Hey guys
    (currently build ~1.2-1.5 ohm single or dual coils) but may try down to maybe ~.7-.8 just to see what I'm missing.
    1.2-1.5 is pretty much a spot on build for a mech. You'll get consistency etc. Using the plus 2 rule 3.3-4.2v will serve you well (eg if you coil 1.5ohm, 3.5v is a sweet spot)
    Altered1 and merexy like this.

AVF Regular
    Youll prob get a 100 pages of advice on the subject going on both sides, but the only way youll know is by trying it yourself. You already know the pros and cons.
    Altered1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    Youll prob get a 100 pages of advice on the subject going on both sides, but the only way youll know is by trying it yourself. You already know the pros and cons.
    Thanks for the input - yes, I guess I know some pros and cons on the subject, however, I certainly don't think I know them all.

Anyway, I guess I'm on the fence here - and looking for some opinions which may sway me either way. What better place to get opinions, right?

AVF Regular
    Defiantly worth trying.
    Just remember not all mechs come with all tubes. There's also telescopic mechs.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

AVF Regular
    I'd say jump in and see if it's your thing.I like my VW devices but still use mech's around 90% of the time?The great thing with vaping is experimenting and finding what you like,in the end you will find your thing and the journey on the way will be fun and frustrating but you will be the wiser at the end.

AVF Regular
    get yourself a magneto or some such. decent price / performance and flexible. its what started me off and is a great bit of kit, forgiving and carefree.
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

Quote Originally Posted by vengaman View Post
    get yourself a magneto or some such. decent price / performance and flexible. its what started me off and is a great bit of kit, forgiving and carefree.
    Magneto hey, sounds like some kind of super hero let's see what Google has for me on the magneto front.

AVF Regular
    I like to use a kick module* in mech though. It's just that bit more forgiving with adjusting current for coil / juice variations.

*A kick module adjusts the wattage of your device and allows an even constant current despite battery losing current (charge).
    Kicks are made by Evolv. Kick clones are available.

AVF Regular
    I like the smoothness with a good build, like has been said 1.2 to 1.5. K100 for cheap and the best switch in the business. After that it goes up and up into the realms of silly prices. Do some research to see what suits you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast