Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Mech Mods.......Why??

Mech Mods.......Why??

I am pretty much a nube to vaping & have purchased way too much hardware (seems the standard) i have been vaping single coil with cotton in the 1.2-1.8 range with vv/vw mods/hybrids wich seems to satisfy me.

Mechs, from what i understand they are used mostly for sub ohm set ups with high current draw, what is the advantage of this?

Also the voltage drop i assume would not give a consistant vape & what of running the batteries to low voltage & ruining them?

Could someone here please point me to some info on the subject or enlighten me?

AVF Regular
    Mechs arn't just for sub ohming,actually the new VW 100-200 mods would be more suited for cloud chasers these days.For me mechs are just vaping at the bare basics and come down to your build instead of how many W/V you can pump through it.Also a well built mech will last longer than anything giving no electrical components.One last thing is I love brass and the amount of brass mechs compared to variable devices out there is a lot more and no components means smaller size.In the end it horses for coarses and just choose what's best for you
    Fatman, davee and merexy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddosh View Post
    Mechs arn't just for sub ohming,actually the new VW 100-200 mods would be more suited for cloud chasers these days.For me mechs are just vaping at the bare basics and come down to your build instead of how many W/V you can pump through it.Also a well built mech will last longer than anything giving no electrical components.One last thing is I love brass and the amount of brass mechs compared to variable devices out there is a lot more and no components means smaller size.In the end it horses for coarses and just choose what's best for you
    Im hip to what your laying down, theyre small, simple & sexy & robust wich is why i purchased them, i am a roof tiler & gear gets bashed around in my tool belt, will look into suitable builds & have a crack at running one, still worried about running lithiums below the point of no return though
    Toddosh likes this.

AVF Regular
    That's below 2.5V and believe me you will no when you get to low.Once your bat gets down to 3.5-3.6 there is a very notable drop off in performance
    davee likes this.

AVF Regular
    Mech @ 1.2 to 1.6 is just perfect. That's why mech!
    Kaoself and Macca72 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca72 View Post
    I am pretty much a nube to vaping & have purchased way too much hardware (seems the standard) i have been vaping single coil with cotton in the 1.2-1.8 range with vv/vw mods/hybrids wich seems to satisfy me.

Mechs, from what i understand they are used mostly for sub ohm set ups with high current draw, what is the advantage of this?

Also the voltage drop i assume would not give a consistant vape & what of running the batteries to low voltage & ruining them?

Could someone here please point me to some info on the subject or enlighten me?
    Mech mods are mainly for reducing the weak points. No wires to burn out or come loose, just applying power in the most economical and functional way
    davee, Toddosh and Macca72 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddosh View Post
    That's below 2.5V and believe me you will no when you get to low.Once your bat gets down to 3.5-3.6 there is a very notable drop off in performance
    Makes sense, i run li-poly in my RC cars & power drop is around the 3.6 mark but at 3.3 theyre throw in the bin material, sigh of releif that these li-ions can go down that low

Thanks heaps for the input peeps, will be doing a build to suit & giving it a whirl

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca72 View Post

The advantage of a low resistance ("sub-ohm") coil on a mech is that you can achieve high wattage and lots of vapour if you have a good build and good airflow -- typically with RDA's (dripping atomisers). Basically, a mech will just provide the straight current from your battery (and this is why it's so important to use a quality battery that is up to the task) and give you more power the lower the resistance of your atty is.

You're absolutely right about it not giving a consistent vape. As the voltage of your battery drops over time when in use, so does the performance of your atty, and that, of course is why regulated devices are so great compared to mechs.

The thing is though, a mech can output very high wattage compared to many regulated devices. It just depends on the capability of the battery and/or how much someone may decide to push its limits. There are quite a few regulated mods out now though which will let you go pretty nuts if you want to.
    steve.c and Macca72 like this.

AVF Regular
    The thing with mechanicals is I can throw one in my work bag and knock it around all day with no worry of electronics getting dust or moisture into them and screwing up leaving me with nothing till I get home at the end of shift.
    davee, btobw, Macca72 and 1 others like this.
    My biggest fear is that I might die and my missus will sell my vape gear for what I told her it cost

Konstantinos Farsalinos Nothing will be offered to you. You have to fight for your rights....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast