Aerotank coils self destructing

I have both the older (4-hole) and newer (2-slot) coils. I've had no issues with the 4 hole coils but the slotted ones are donating silica into my tank.

Literally, I have to grab a toothpick and fish silica out of my tank when I change the coils over and there are usually loose strands coming from the slots themselves.
    The only plus to this is that it wicks really well after a few days.

Did I just get a bunch of duds or this normal? Hoping it's not normal as I don't like weird things being classed as normal....

AVF Regular
    I've been using Aeortanks for weeks now and never seen any wick in the tanks? I've used both types of coils too.

Maybe a dud bunch?

I thought the "4-hole" coils were the new ones?

I've used both an never noticed it, though having said that I've not really inspected the tank.

Just leave it in there - won't hurt.

AVF Regular
    I have seen the wick come out of the coils in my aerotank however, I haven't seen wick in the juice. Doesn't seem to be causing me any issues yet.
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.

AVF Regular
    I'm using the new 2 hole, I don't get your problem too, but I do get something weird, is the wick sticking out horizontaly. Never had seen one before with the older version.

i'm hoping it's just a dud. Am a bit OCD about cleaning my kit, so having that thing appear half way through a tank was really disconcerting.