Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ssstahly
  • 1 Post By Fawks
  • 1 Post By fad

Thread: Mech Mod Noob: Advice/Reassurance sought

AVF Regular

Mech Mod Noob: Advice/Reassurance sought

Hi all, just want some advice/reassurance on my battery selection and a few other things. I have done lots of reading and understand ohms law and amp load etc. so feel okay about doing that part safely, just wandering about my battery selection and an issue I had when I was first gifted my mod and Sony battery.

Background:
    I have been using an MVP with magma and AGA T5 rebuildable's for a while now, and my brother in law gifted me a Grand Vapour Sentinel M16 Clone $14.26 Sentinel M16 Telescopic Mechanical Mod - brass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping and a Sony VTC5 Battery (apparently fully charged). I was so exited when I got home I stupidly didn't consider the trouble I was having with my AGA where the positive pin, with too much pressure, was getting pushed in and causing the deck to lift. I put it together and was firing away wondering why it wasn't working, and the mod warmed right up. The penny dropped and I cursed myself for my stupidity ("Fricken Idiot" Napolean Dynamite voice), and sure enough the pin had pushed in and was shorting the coil. Anyway, after hours of cool down time and using my magma and any other dripper or atomiser I had, it didn't work so figured I had stuffed the battery. It doesn't look any different or seem like its bulged though, I didn't notice anything other than it warming right up.

I have just received an Efest lucv4 charger and 2 Samsumg 25r batteries to get me going and are charging as we speak, the AGA is fixed and also have a dedicated ohm reader on the way (so i'm not relying on the MVP). Was thinking I should maybe get a multi/volt meter also for testing of device and battery?

With the new batteries, I got these Samsung INR18650 25R 2500mAh High Drain Lithium Battery - 2 Pack, and was wondering if these are suitable for my use. Have read plenty of people saying they are good, and from what I can tell they should be fine. Was seeing IMR and INR and was a bit confused on the difference in real world usage between IMR/INR/ICR. I will probably build to my normal sort of 1.4-1.8 single coil builds to start, so shouldn't be drawing anywhere near the max amps of the battery, and I don't foresee going really low with my builds, may build around 1.0 to just see how that vapes or try some dual coils running at 0.7-1.0.

I guess my questions are:
    1. Is the Sony battery likely to be stuffed? Is it safe to put in charger to test, or should I get a multimeter to test the voltage?
    2. Could the mod be playing up/shorting? Should I test it with a multimeter?
    3. Are the Samsung 25R's the right battery choice?
    4. Is it overkill to need a charging bag for charging the batteries, or is this recommended?
    5. Are the simple/cheap multimeters from say DickSmith/Bunnings going to suit my needs? Should I bother with one?
    6. What are the methods for trouble shooting mods and batteries (I read that you simply hook up multimeter to mod without battery on body and positive pin and check for resistance in mod)

Any suggestions for safe operation and treatment of the mod and battery (and charger) would be appreciated, after my little brain fade I am going super cautious now moving forward, and don't want to ruin the new batteries or charger, and certainly don't want any mishaps. I am fairly sure i'm on the right track but just want to do it right, and since there are heaps of knowledgeable people here always willing to help/offer advice, thought id ask. I will keep doing some reading but seems the more I read the less I remember If there's anything I'm overlooking in my questions feel free to add anything in terms of tips or advice.

(Sorry bout the long post and noob questions, am probably worrying way more than needed, just want to do it right.)
    "Vape mail incoming, I have"

AVF Regular

Mech Mod Noob: Advice/Reassurance sought

My guess is there will be a problem with the connection. Either at the 510 connection or at the button.

I would guess the battery will be fine and I would chuck it on the charger and see how it goes. But that's just me, some will play it safe and turf the battery.

I and a lot of people don't use charging bags, but here is a thread about battery warning that nearly made me change my mind.
    http://forums.aussievapers.com/showthread.php?t=10830

I have an expensive multimeter, but many use cheaper ones. Just make sure you check the internal resistance of the multimeter by holding the prongs together for about 10seconds. That number will have to be deducted from your coil reading.

This is a good read.
    Rebuilding coils safely
    Last edited by ssstahly; 19-11-14 at 01:52 PM.
    Slayer likes this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

AVF Regular
    1) Maybe, and maybe = yes unless you invest in equiptment worth 100's of dollars, a battery's chemistry works in wierd and wonderful ways, Like glass, it can appear to be fine and then one charge or fire later and something goes boom or hiss.
    2) Possibly, likely just a coil though.
    3) At the moment thats what i would advise - research its max amp capacity though so you dont build coils over it.
    4) I dont do it, yet ive seen multiple pictures on this forum of burnt up carpet, chairs and desk's. Be safe not sorry. But some of us get lazy eventually :/
    5) Cheapies are no good. Once again if you are doing extreme low resistance builds like .1 to .4 i would say do it right and spend the few hundred needed to accurately measure down to that resistance. - the cheapest and best ohm reader i had was the vamo before i got my box mod. Vamo's have always seemed like reliable ohm readers
    6) Dont use batteries that you have hard shorted or have miss-fired in your mod.
    Always keep batteries in a battery container or seperatly in ziplock bags
    Dont try to get more out of them than they are capable of and just google "Samsung 25R max amp" and then you will know what the battery can handle. Same goes for coil builds.

(I use batteries that have hardshorted and have been on for 2 min's when my mod autofired, they are the 30amp sony's and taking an slighly educated guess i decided some could be re-used some could not) Until you know what your odd's are i wouldn't gamble on it, having a face is nice for meeting new people...
    Slayer likes this.

AVF Regular
    I have gone back to a nemesis with magnets on a magma... Over the stingray...

fad
    AVF Regular
    1. Is the Sony battery likely to be stuffed? Is it safe to put in charger to test, or should I get a multimeter to test the voltage?

Yes. Hard shorting a battery = bin it. Batteries are cheap compared to your safety.

2. Could the mod be playing up/shorting? Should I test it with a multimeter?

3. Are the Samsung 25R's the right battery choice?

For not-extremely-low subohming, yes. 1 ohm, 0.7 ohm would be fine.

4. Is it overkill to need a charging bag for charging the batteries, or is this recommended?

Not normally recommended for 18??? series batteries with good chargers. They're used by Radio Control enthusiasts trying to recharge their packs almost as quickly as they drain them.

5. Are the simple/cheap multimeters from say DickSmith/Bunnings going to suit my needs? Should I bother with one?

For checking the charge in your battery: yes.
    For checking ohms of builds: no
    For checking the health of a battery: no. That would require an Impedance Meter
    Slayer likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawks View Post
    I have gone back to a nemesis with magnets on a magma... Over the stingray...
    Yeah, the brother in law who gave me the Sentinel uses a nemesis as his daily driver, will probably grab one when I can.

Also, seems like I have stuffed the Sony from what you guys are saying and my gut feeling, so won't use it. Will test it with a multimeter to see where the voltage is at out of curiosity.

In respect to the multimeter, I am getting an ohm reader already (and have the MVP) and don't foresee wanting to go very low with my builds, and the charger displays battery voltage, so was just thinking it may be good to have to test the mod itself, and to quick test battery voltage. Probably don't NEED one, but have been meaning to have one around the house when needed so may pop past DickSmith now on the way to the school run and grab one.

My batteries are almost charged, so will give it a whirl when I get home from picking up the kids and let you know how I go.

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive replies everyone, very appreciated, keep em coming

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ssstahly View Post
    My guess is there will be a problem with the connection. Either at the 510 connection or at the button.

I would guess the battery will be fine and I would chuck it on the charger and see how it goes. But that's just me, some will play it safe and turf the battery.

I and a lot of people don't use charging bags, but here is a thread about battery warning that nearly made me change my mind.
    **Battery WARNING!

I have an expensive multimeter, but many use cheaper ones. Just make sure you check the internal resistance of the multimeter by holding the prongs together for about 10seconds. That number will have to be deducted from your coil reading.

This is a good read.
    Rebuilding coils safely
    Yeah, was the AGA T5 shorting, its just that the magma that is fine (and other atties) wouldn't fire either afterwards, so am guessing I drained the battery with the AGA. I will grab a multimeter and test the voltage of the battery (rather than using the charger) and check the mod for any resistance with it also just to be safe. If all looks good I will fire up the 25r's after quadruple checking everything

Thanks for the advice and link too, had read that before but forgotten about it, is very comprehensive guide, cheers

AVF Regular
    Okay, quick update.

Seems I did drain the Sony, grabbed a multimeter from DickSmith, and the Sony was reading 0.9 volts, so won't be using that again.

The mech is firing nicely with the 25R, with a 1.5 ohm single coil on the AGA T5.

Thanks again for the quick replies and reassurance. Moral of the story, don't keep firing away wondering what's wrong when it doesn't fire, no matter how excited by your new toy you are.

Cheers, Joe