Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By ssstahly
  • 2 Post By Fatman
  • 2 Post By Vaporific
  • 2 Post By MrGruffy
  • 2 Post By Fatman
  • 2 Post By MrGruffy

Thread: Fix needed for small gap between tank and power unit?

AVF Regular

Question Fix needed for small gap between tank and power unit?

I have 2 Sigelei Zmax minis for which I bought an Aspire Nautilus and a Kangertech Aerotank Mega.

The Nautilus screws down into the the 510 thread leaving a 'visible crack' of light between the base of the Nautilus and the beauty ring of the Zmax. The Aerotank leaves even more space, and if I try to screw it down further, the Zmax reports 'Short' and won't operate.

I'm worried that the gap means the (fairly large, IMO) tanks are completely supported by the 510 thread, and may be fragile to bending it. Since the tanks have such broad bases, it would seem to make more sense to spread any forces between the top and bottom of the assembled units, across the entire base of the tank and the beauty ring. It also irks me that I effectively need to leave the Areotank 'loose' on the thread.

Should I put a spacer (e.g. a washer or a gasket) in that gap between the base of the tank and the beauty ring?

Note that I'm a newbie who only recently got the Zmax units, so my fears may be naive. Please don't hold back from telling me that there is nothing to worry about, if that's what you think from your experiences.
    Last edited by Vaporific; 21-11-14 at 09:05 AM.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    My vamo has a gap, and the tank is only supported by the 510.... it's not been an issue for me. Just try not to throw the mod around, nor bend it like an iPhone 6

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    I think with the Zmax you can screw the beauty ring up, leaving the gap at the bottom of the beauty ring instead of at the atty. Looks a little better.
    Vaporific likes this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Super Moderator
    This might sound a bit ruff n ready lol ... but on one atomiser I use there IS a gap on my EPM set-up and I use a thin fibre plumbing washer to support it LOL ( out of a tap fixing kit I had laying about ) ... I use it to provide more support , as I have previously bent a base on that atomiser by dropping it and the gap allowed it to bend ... now its solid as a rock

( Yes I could have adjusted the EPM centrepin , but then I would have to adjust it back for every other atty ... so I cheated )
    MrGruffy and Vaporific like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    ..I use a thin fibre plumbing washer to support it..
    That sounds like what I want. Would Bunnings stock them? The only online source I've found so far is Plumber's Choice & I'd prefer to be there in person with my gear to check sizes, before putting money down.
    Fatman and MrGruffy like this.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    Take your atty to a large hardware shop, and browse their plumbing/taps section for a fibre washer (red generally) that best fits the diameter of your atty.
    Fatman and Vaporific like this.

Super Moderator
    And if its a bit thick a little wet emery paper on glass( or a flat hard surface ) will sand it down nicely to the required thickness
    MrGruffy and Vaporific like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    I'm a bit thick so I rub myself on a little wet emery paper on glass( or a flat hard surface )
    hello, I'm the gruffy's cat, they are away right now.

i can haz nibbles now?
    Fatman and merexy like this.