AVF Regular

Strange (for me) battery behavior

I normally build my coils around the 1.3 Ohms but a few weeks ago one came out at .9 Ohm & it vaped really well so I have been aiming for around that with my builds. For whatever reason my latest coil came out at .7 Ohms & I really liked how that vaped until I changed my battery, it started giving dry hits. I thought it was my wick so I redid it & still I got dry hits. I tried another battery & it vapes no problem at all.
    The battery that is giving me the dry hits is an Efest purple 20amp 3100mAh http://www.vapeking.com.au/efest-pur...r-battery-20a/ the ones that work great are the Efest black (10amp I think) 2250mAh Efest 18650 2250mah IMR Battery.
    When I look at the Ohm calculator the amp draw for the .7 Ohm coil is just above 5 amps which both batteries should supply the same I imagine so can anyone explain why the 20 amp battery is giving me dry hits & the 10 amp seems fine?
    This is all happening with a Kato mod & Rose atty (clones) I've used 28g wire & used both rayon & cotton wool wicks. I think the coil dia is about 1.5mm.

Edit: I may have jumped the gun a bit with my post because I have now put in a freshly charged 10 amp battery in & I can taste it starting to vape a bit dry, no dry hit as yet but if I chain vape I can tell it's not far off from a dry hit. Maybe my coils are too small a dia & maybe I need a larger dia so it has more wick in there. It still seems that the 20 amp battery is firing the coil hotter than the 10 amp battery though.
    Last edited by rodbam; 05-12-14 at 03:33 PM.

AVF Regular
    The Efest black batteries will have a higher internal resistance than the purple. You may have been getting just enough voltage sag (drop across the battery's internal resistance) to lower the power to the sweet spot when using the black batteries.
    Hot off the charger the initial higher voltage may compensate for the sag.

AVF Regular
    Thanks Sponky. I have just built a bigger dia coil that came out at .9 Ohm & that is vaping well with the purple battery so I will stick to that. Interesting about the difference in the batteries.