Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Getting started with rebuilding coils

Question Getting started with rebuilding coils

I just got a nautilus mini, best. thing. ever.

I'd like to have a go at rebuilding the coils on this at some stage. I've seen one youtube video which goes through how to do this, doesn't look that hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zBGH2wpnPE

Got a bunch of questions though:

First of all, Japanese cotton...why cotton? Why not silica? Doesn't cotton burn? Stupid question I know, since everyone seems to be using it with no problems :P Just wanted to know why it's used over silica.

Ohms law...really trying to get my head around this. I think I know how the law works, I just can't figure out how it applies to vaping. At the end of that video he says the coil is 1.6ohm and he is vaping at 17.5w. According to most of the charts I've seen that's way too high? And if the watts always turn out the same, why use different resistance coils? The coil that came with mine is 1.8ohm, I use my iStick on 3.2v-3.5v usually. Should I/can I switch to watt mode and use it at a higher wattage?

Why would you use a higher or lower resistance? I've seen people talk about sub-ohm coils, when and why would you use these? Or higher than 1.8ohm? (which seems to be what most vendors sell).

At one point in the video he pinches the strands of the coil together and hits it with a blow torch. I've seen other videos saying you should aim for gaps between the wires? Which is correct?

Near the end of the video he mentions a "macro coil" for an easier draw. What is this?

Lastly: to get started I just need some Japanese cotton and some 28-gauge wire right? Or would I be better off with some higher gauge? (I figure it would be easier to handle)

AVF Regular
    I too am also confused about re-buildables and people with sub ohm coils. If they use low resistance coils wouldn't that mean that you would use less wattage since there is less opposition to the flow of electricity. How come people are using high watt mods like 100+ watts and sub ohm coils. I too have seen these charts which confuses me as to why people do this.

AVF Regular
    It's all about wicking. If you can get more liquid to the coil you can run higher power.
    The only way to get higher power on a mechanical device is by lowering the resistance as the voltage is fixed to whatever the battery can supply.
    For VV/VW mods a lower resistance coil has the advantage of also having less mass and therefore will heat up faster.

Cotton tastes different to sillica which tastes different to oxidised stainless steel mesh/rope. It's a personal preference for the most part but also some perform better than others. There are youtube videos showing the advantage of different types of wick and how quickly they can deliver the liquid.

Cotton wicks really well and as long as it is wet it won't burn.

Contact coils (squeezed together) vs open wound types again are a personal preference. I build contact coils but to be honest have never done a side by side comparison with an open wound one.

Macro and micro coils are fuzzy terms to mean big and small. There's no real standard.
    Last edited by Sponky; 11-12-14 at 12:10 PM.
    btobw and Bobthebuilder like this.

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JDoe View Post
    I just got a nautilus mini, best. thing. ever.

I'd like to have a go at rebuilding the coils on this at some stage. I've seen one youtube video which goes through how to do this, doesn't look that hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zBGH2wpnPE

Got a bunch of questions though:

First of all, Japanese cotton...why cotton? Why not silica? Doesn't cotton burn? Stupid question I know, since everyone seems to be using it with no problems :P Just wanted to know why it's used over silica.
    Ease of use.

With silica the normal way to build is to wrap resistance wire (Kanthal) around the wick. So changing the wick usually means replacing the coil as well.
    In cotton/rayon/yak builds you build a contact coil that holds its shape, then insert your wick into it. Changing the wick is a simple matter of carefully teasing it out, cleaning then putting in a new one.

Ohms law...really trying to get my head around this. I think I know how the law works, I just can't figure out how it applies to vaping. At the end of that video he says the coil is 1.6ohm and he is vaping at 17.5w. According to most of the charts I've seen that's way too high?
    The charts are out of date for modern rebuildables. Good for old-school clearomizers, though.

And if the watts always turn out the same, why use different resistance coils?
    Surface area. More surface, more contact with liquid, more vapor. But only if the power & wicking is right.

The coil that came with mine is 1.8ohm, I use my iStick on 3.2v-3.5v usually. Should I/can I switch to watt mode and use it at a higher wattage?
    Just because you change the setting to watts doesn't mean the coil can magically take more power. It just makes it easier to understand if you're changing atomizers a lot.

Why would you use a higher or lower resistance? I've seen people talk about sub-ohm coils, when and why would you use these? Or higher than 1.8ohm? (which seems to be what most vendors sell).
    To adjust the power at the atomizer you have to do one of two things; change the resistance or change the voltage.
    Since a lot of people are using mech mods & can't change the voltage they drop the resistance to draw more power from the battery.

If you have a regulated mod it's much safer to increase the volts rather than going very low subohm ( < 0.3 ohm)

At one point in the video he pinches the strands of the coil together and hits it with a blow torch. I've seen other videos saying you should aim for gaps between the wires? Which is correct?
    Both. Does it taste good? Give good vapour? Then it's a good coil.

Near the end of the video he mentions a "macro coil" for an easier draw. What is this?
    A contact coil wrapped around a thicker rod, usually 3mm or more.

Lastly: to get started I just need some Japanese cotton and some 28-gauge wire right? Or would I be better off with some higher gauge? (I figure it would be easier to handle)
    28 Gauge & cotton is a good start for rebuildable tanks. 26 gauge for drippers. Don't buy wire because it might be easier to handle, buy it because the number of coil wraps you want will give you the target resistance you're after.

Don't bother overpaying for Koh Gen Do. Go to Myer or DJs and get a red box of Shiseido facial cotton for $6
    Bobthebuilder likes this.

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_1835 View Post
    I too am also confused about re-buildables and people with sub ohm coils. If they use low resistance coils wouldn't that mean that you would use less wattage since there is less opposition to the flow of electricity.
    Exactly the opposite. Lower resistance = easier for the battery to push power = more watts.

How come people are using high watt mods like 100+ watts and sub ohm coils.
    Because people are stupid.

I too have seen these charts which confuses me as to why people do this.
    Some people just like the sensation of vaping a kettle. Or because clouds!!1!!
    Bobthebuilder, Sponky and Joe_1835 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fad View Post
    Exactly the opposite. Lower resistance = easier for the battery to push power = more watts.

Because people are stupid.

Some people just like the sensation of vaping a kettle. Or because clouds!!1!!

POTM right here folks.
    Littleraf and Sponky like this.
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

AVF Regular
    So lower resistance coils are bigger gauge which can handle more current and volts yeh? So you can put more watts through them?

AVF Regular
    think of wire like a hose - the bigger the hose, the more water goes through it.
    Joe_1835 likes this.
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    Wouldn't thicker wire handle the heat better ? i wouldn't go high power with 30g say, but 24g is better for eg.
    *I Use Clones*

fad
    AVF Regular
    So lower resistance coils are bigger gauge
    Lower resistance might mean bigger gauge, or it might mean less lengh (wraps)

which can handle more current and volts yeh? So you can put more watts through them?
    Larger means you need to put more watts through them.

What we're doing is matching power to the surface area of our coils.

Clearomizers with very small surface areas only need 8-13 watts to get the wire up to vaporising temperature.
    Drippers & rebuildables have coils with huge surface areas, and 13 watts might not even get some of them glowing.
    disley and Joe_1835 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast