Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: ? Battery charging Eleaf Istick Power Point?

AVF Regular

? Battery charging Eleaf Istick Power Point?

I have the Eleaf Istick and need to find out what I need insofar as the USB power plug into the power point socket goes?

Background
    I have the micro USB charger that is working perfectly into my computer and doesn't get hot and performs well.

But the power point USB (female) thingies I have get extremely hot when I plug it into the wall socket. They are the ones I have used for my egos. With my egos they don't get hot.

So is there a rating(?) or something I should be using for these devices from the USB power point plug thingy to safely charge the Isticks?

Yep, get a 1A wall adapter. You may already have one as some phones come with one. The ego wall adapters don't put out enough power, the cable is 1A and the ego adapters are lower (500mA).
    JWH and Davi like this.

AVF Regular
    I use my iPhone power brick with a micro USB cable to charge my istick and it barely registers as warm while charging. It is rated as 1A as required.
    JWH and Davi like this.

JWH
    AVF Regular
    Yep agree with the other comments 100%
    I was using the iPad "fast charger" on one mod and it was getting hot - I think the socket said 10w (or something like that)
    Then I used a socket that read 5w (or something like that) and it didn't get hot
    Sorry about the vague description , perhaps another member if they get what I'm waffling about can explain better
    Basically I found 5 good 10 bad (for charging certain mods)

Quote Originally Posted by JWH View Post
    Yep agree with the other comments 100%
    I was using the iPad "fast charger" on one mod and it was getting hot - I think the socket said 10w (or something like that)
    Then I used a socket that read 5w (or something like that) and it didn't get hot
    Sorry about the vague description , perhaps another member if they get what I'm waffling about can explain better
    Basically I found 5 good 10 bad (for charging certain mods)
    Phone/iPad chargers normally put out 5V. As Watts = Voltage x Current a 10W charger puts out 2 Amps and a 5W charger puts out 1 Amp. Best to stick to a 5W for charging Mods.
    JWH, mrjinks and Davi like this.

JWH
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Phone/iPad chargers normally put out 5V. As Watts = Voltage x Current a 10W charger puts out 2 Amps and a 5W charger puts out 1 Amp. Best to stick to a 5W for charging Mods.
    Your a champ! Thank you Gigantor!

Had an iPhone once but of course I couldn't find the charger. Ended up buying one from eBay that claims it is SAA rated, but would recommend getting a proper one from JBs or similar if you don't already have one. I keep a watchful eye on mine while charging.

AVF Regular
    CAN put out... It will only put out 2A if whatever is connected to it, draws 2A, otherwise it will draw whatever is connected to it is designed to draw (ie relying on the in built charging mechanism of the device for current regulation).

There's theoretically no reason why you can't or shouldn't use a 2A rated power supply... It would actually be better, as it will easily supply a steady 1A current

That said, not all power supplies are created equal! You get what you pay for
    JWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasha View Post
    CAN put out... It will only put out 2A if whatever is connected to it, draws 2A, otherwise it will draw whatever is connected to it is designed to draw (ie relying on the in built charging mechanism of the device for current regulation).
    Correct but if the current regulation circuitry isn't working effectively (or isn't there as the manufacturer just expects the charger to limit it) you could put too much current into the device and damage it or worse yourself.

There's theoretically no reason why you can't or shouldn't use a 2A rated power supply... It would actually be better, as it will easily supply a steady 1A current

That said, not all power supplies are created equal! You get what you pay for
    Theroetically in a perfect world with perfectly designed and working equipment yes but as JWH said above a 10W power supply was making the mod hot. Checking the eleaf website it says to charge the istick with a 1A wall charger. This suggests to me that their current limiting circuitry isn't the best.

Saying it would be better to use a 2A charger isn't entirely true. It would be better for the charger as it isn't working at full load but not necessarily better for the device it's plugged into.
    Nasha likes this.

AVF Regular
    Correct but if the current regulation circuitry isn't working effectively (or isn't there as the manufacturer just expects the charger to limit it) you could put too much current into the device and damage it or worse yourself.

Theroetically in a perfect world with perfectly designed and working equipment yes but as JWH said above a 10W power supply was making the mod hot. Checking the eleaf website it says to charge the istick with a 1A wall charger. This suggests to me that their current limiting circuitry isn't the best.

Saying it would be better to use a 2A charger isn't entirely true. It would be better for the charger as it isn't working at full load but not necessarily better for the device it's plugged into.
    Agreed, perfect world and all, you make a good point for the real world of affordable mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast