Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Battery dead in the morning

AVF Regular

Battery dead in the morning

I woke up this morning to see my clone Kato mod with the Rose V2 sitting in a pool of juice on our kitchen benchtop. I thought the very hot night might have been the cause & leaked the juice out of the air hole but after cleaning & refilling I went to vape & there was nothing, the battery was totally flat. I checked it & it read only 0.4 volts which makes it look like it has fired on its own which seems impossible with the Kato switch which is on the top & the smoothest working switch I have.
    I may never know what caused this or what even happened but what is the damage to the battery?
    I put it in the Nitecore charger & the lights went to 1,2,3 full in about 5secs. After three more tries it started charging normally & is now fully charged & working well. Is it OK to carry on using it?
    I have been putting the battery in top side down onto the spring at the bottom & sometimes when I go to take it out the spring has hooked itself into the gap in the top of the battery, I wonder if this can cause it to fire. I will put in reverse from now on.

JWH
    AVF Regular
    Simply for the sake of safety bin that bad boy . It probably will be alright ... but to be absolutely sure when my batteries start playing sillybuggers on me in my charger I bin them (responsibly). Would hate to have a bad outcome for the sake of 10 bucks man
    If you need an extra one and can't raise the funds ATM pm and I'll get one for you as a Xmas present
    gtadmin, Fatman, Toddosh and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    I 2nd what the wise man before me said, for the sake of the cost of a battery, i wouldn't risk it.

Still doesn't explain how the heck it happened!

AVF Regular
    Bin the battery and no way would I use leave the mod with a battery in it unattended until you find yah cause why it auto fired .Make sure you check the the insulator on the rose clone as well to make sure it hasn't melted.

AVF Regular
    Thanks all & particularly JW for the wonderful offer:-) I have spare good batteries so I will bin the bad one. I think the insulators in the rose will be OK (though I will have a look) as there was still some juice left in the atty, the battery must have fully drained before the juice completely emptied out.
    JWH likes this.

AVF Regular
    I can't see the coonection between the atty leaking all that juice and the battery firing. If the atty had this leak, you may have noticed it before you put it down, I find it strange that it leaked spontaneously. If it did, it may have been the cause of the mod firing up, if juice created a contact.

In any case fantastic advise to bin the battery, I am learning how important it is to vape safely and never risk an injury for a few dollars.
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.

lmb
    AVF Regular
    Tank atties will regularly dump their juice when a mod self-fires. I would certainly not be using the mod until I'd discovered the connection issue (usually a connection not screwed down properly or an insulator failing). You should also not use a battery that has discharged below about 2.7, from that point it is unlikely to hold it's full charge and could be dangerous. Safety first.
    gtadmin likes this.
    RIP VP

AVF Regular
    I have one of those clones Rod and I just plain don't trust it.
    I had a situation where I had engaged the locking mechanism and placed it on a bench - about 25 minutes later went to pick it up and burnt my hand - was far to hot to touch, so used a tea towel to remove cap and battery.
    Mod went in a drawer, battery to work to be trashed.
    rodbam likes this.

AVF Regular
    Just thinking - if you want my clone for spare parts or what have you, shoot me your addy in a pm will send it off on monday.
    Fatman and rodbam like this.

AVF Regular
    Geez Skoville are you sure? This is my favorite device so far so I will say yes please & I would love to have it. I insist on paying postage so how do I do that?
    PM sent:-)
    Last edited by rodbam; 13-12-14 at 04:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast