AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Standard resistance "normal" vaping

Hi all!

I have a stupid question.

Why do the latest DNA style mods only go down to 6-7 Watts in their official specs? The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a small, light 18650 box mod with sophisticated electronics and high-end features(RMS, comprehensive display, spring-loaded 510 pin , removable 18650 batt etc.) for a consistent vape, and possible future RBA use, but I never go over 5 watts on my Smoktech SID with my currently favoured standard resistance Boge cartos in a carto tank or standard resistance(~2.5 Ohms) T3S coils in T3S clearos. (I've never liked the vape I get from lower resistance pre-built coils - they always seem to produce a muted and burnt taste to me.)

Am I sh*t outta luck? Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmeeg View Post
    Why do the latest DNA style mods only go down to 6-7 Watts in their official specs?
    At that point you're going to be bucking a lot with the resistance on modern atomizers. Even ancient (by today's standards) 510 atomizers on a mech would be delivering over 5w at 3.7v. You could get a Provari (or any mod with a VV mode that regulates down efficiently) to buck down to 3.6v and get what you want, but the majority of the market isn't interested in going that low. The cross section of people looking for 5w and people looking to spend $200+ on a mod is really, really small.

Super Moderator
    You are not missing something , vaping is incredibly subjective in what works for you , if low watts keep you off the ciggies , then thats all you need
    you could try different set-ups tho , go a higher ohm cartomiser 3.0 Ohm or so ... or you could look at a vaporshark rDNA40 which will fire down to 1 Watt

VKS Slotted Cartomizer 2.8 ohm
    EcigModShop Australia - Boge 510D SR Cartomizer - Steel 3.0 ohm
    VaporShark rDNA40 MOD | House of Vape 1 watt firing !

the bt-50 Smoktech goes as low as 6 watt?
    The SID Smoketech goes down to 3 Watt but is only adjustable in 0.5 Watt steps
    Provari P3 goes as low as 3W adjustable in 0.2 W increments but not a box lol

BUT the eleaf iStick will go down to 2 watts and is as cheap as chips ( note tho , this is older PWM tech and will "rattlesnake" at low voltages , but I put my 2.6 ohm atty on it and it will fire below 5 watts down to 3.6 in my case with this atty ) gives an ok vape tho down there ...???? But it is still firing with higher volts , just for very short pulses so it averages out at a low voltage ( the very definition of PWM vaping) , which the SID is anyway

I think you just need to research they are out there , its just finding what you like
    Last edited by Fatman; 13-12-14 at 01:18 PM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmeeg View Post
    Hi all!
    (I've never liked the vape I get from lower resistance pre-built coils - they always seem to produce a muted and burnt taste to me.)
    I used to think this, but discovered I was using essentially terrible liquid and the wrong tanks. Can I ask what liquid and tanks you were using when trying the lower resistance coils? Might be a legitimate preference thing, which you are perfectly entitled to, but I'm just curious.

AVF Regular
    i'm the same. i use carto tanks, with lr slotted cartos. i find one of the cheapest mods is the best for them. my trusty old vamo. it's 3v is a true 3v and that is all i often use. at the moment, i'm using it at 3.2v. with the old vks slotted cartos, i would usually go to 7w, but for some reason, they've changed and i can't find a happy wattage with the .5 increments, so i just use it in voltage mode where i can change by .1 increments.

Every DNA mod I've researched says they start at ~6/7 watts. I just find it odd that they don't go lower. It seems a bit "e-peeny"(to me).

I'd love a vaporshark, but maaan it's pricey!

I guess I'll just have to wait for all the istick rip-offs, plus the istick 2.0, to come out and see if I can find one that goes down to at least 4 watts and fits my other criteria. Hopefully my SID holds out until then(it's starting to play up)

Thanks!

Dang! Sorry, that reply was meant for Fatman.
    Last edited by Shmeeg; 13-12-14 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JV321 View Post
    I used to think this, but discovered I was using essentially terrible liquid and the wrong tanks. Can I ask what liquid and tanks you were using when trying the lower resistance coils? Might be a legitimate preference thing, which you are perfectly entitled to, but I'm just curious.
    I'm currently mixing Health Cabin 36mg + PG + Juice Factory concentrates, so it's probably not the juice.(I was happily vaping standard Dekang Tobacco for...ages but went back to mixing when I got a bad batch.)

I use a cheapie delrin carto tank I bought from Juice Whore a while ago(plastic) and recently I've also been trying out some T3S clearos(also plastic tanks)

I ordered some glass Protank clones from Fasttech that I can use the T3S coils in but they haven't arrived yet. They might help...but I decided to stick to Standard Resistance a good while ago. They just...feel right to me. Dunno why.

Forgot to add: I got some low resistance T3S coils that came with the T3S clearos and I didn't like them at all. Again, no idea why. Ask my throat and lungs. Lol!
    Last edited by Shmeeg; 13-12-14 at 04:18 PM.

Any DNA40 will step down.

I have found that your build and jooce play a lot...i love my mechs cos they change the profile of NETs an other jooce as they degrade in voltage..but if i want consistency a dna is the way to go imo.
    The dna 40 has a few bugs in it and it is worthwhile waiting a bit...but the temp control is the ducks guts...