Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Dry burning naut BVC coils

AVF Regular

Dry burning naut BVC coils

Anyone else tried this?

My current coil had just started to get a bit too burny/dirty tasting, and I was just about to replace it and wasn't looking forward to the 20 draws of disgusting machine oil flavour, when I thought perhaps the "ceramic wool" wicking and SS mesh cover would be amenable to a dry burn without permanent damage.

Gave it a shot and washed/sucked thoroughly clean after. Clearly it would have been gross to try to vape with immediately before this, as the burnt taste I sucked out of it while washing was pretty bad, but I have to say, after a surprisingly short break-in, it seems to be vaping like a new one....

I will actually put a new one in now (post hot sonic cleanse and rinse to minimize the machine oil period), and compare, but I think it's actually ok.
    disley likes this.

AVF Regular
    not commenting from experience, but i'd be cautious about dry burning BVC coils based on the discussion in this thread:

Aspire Nautilus has a Chromed Brass chimney. - Page 29

AVF Regular
    I've tried dry burning, washing them out, leaving them to sit on the window sill to air dry, leaving them in the hot water cupboard...
    I can never get it to work the same again, always tastes foul. I've watched you tube, read forums..
    I don't get how some people get 3-4 weeks + out of a single coil. I end up replacing every 7-10 days...
    Thinking about getting into rebuildables, to minimize cost...

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ticks View Post
    I've tried dry burning, washing them out, leaving them to sit on the window sill to air dry, leaving them in the hot water cupboard...
    I can never get it to work the same again, always tastes foul. I've watched you tube, read forums..
    I don't get how some people get 3-4 weeks + out of a single coil. I end up replacing every 7-10 days...
    Thinking about getting into rebuildables, to minimize cost...
    Isn't $3.50 every 7 to 10 days already minimal cost?
    It's a few cents a day, and after spending +$20 a day on cigarettes, vaping is a bargain.
    I don't try to clean them, because they're cheap enough to replace.
    Although I would clean them if I thought it worked.
    I use the Nautilus BVC coils in my Silo tanks.
    I'm getting around 12 days from a coil, and even then it's only just noticeable that there's a slight burned taste.
    The best part of using clearo's is the good value we get from the equipment, and the ease of keeping it tasting great.
    I have a Joytech Delta 23 clearo, which takes C3 coils, and I've changed one coil since September.
    The value is great.
    Bobthebuilder and Burdy like this.

AVF Regular
    I have a BVC coil (not naut but the little one) that has been going for 20+ weeks.
    I also hate the taste of dry burning immediately afterwards, so I blow rather than suck (contrary to popular opinion), effective and no burning taste.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    I have a BVC coil (not naut but the little one) that has been going for 20+ weeks.
    I also hate the taste of dry burning immediately afterwards, so I blow rather than suck (contrary to popular opinion), effective and no burning taste.
    Alright ... my turn ... how do you dry burn BVCs ... with unblurry piccies (if manageable )
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Alright ... my turn ... how do you dry burn BVCs ... with unblurry piccies (if manageable )
    Obtain dirty taste
    disassemble naut
    wash
    dry
    assemble naut
    press fire button and blow into driptip until steam/vape reduces to bugger all level, is surprising how much yesterday's water lingers in the coil
    fill with juice
    vape

Super Moderator
    Thank you, I wondered if it was done traditionally or new wave
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Ok, that's not how I did it. I could see that working ok, though you are blowing the burnt gunk back through the air intake and to some degree into the wicking.

I did it with nothing there except for the base with the coil screwed into it.

The composition of the upper part of the assembly is irrelevant in this case, and you can just dry burn the coil with nothing above it; no sucking or blowing.

It smokes everything off perfectly until the coil is clean and glowing red.

Then I wash it out thoroughly, and towards the end of the washing process I suck the water out vigorously a few times, in the direction of normal vapour flow.

I have run it through the hot detergent/sonic bath for 30 min now and can literally not tell which one is the new coil and which the refurb.

As disley pointed out above at $3/week for the coil it's maybe not worth worrying about, but I love having redundant capabilities. :-)
    gtadmin, Bobthebuilder and disley like this.

AVF Regular
    Dammit, now I think I can taste burn on the refurb.

I need a double-blind study, stat.
    gtadmin and disley like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast