Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Maybe RTAs aren't for me

AVF Regular

Maybe RTAs aren't for me

The basic scenario is this; I bought a Lemo from the forum classifieds which already had a build on it. The attie was clean and clearly well looked after. I never use other peoples' builds any more so removed the one that was on it and made a 1ohm coil. I use Koh Gen Do because I don't like silica or anything else really. At 12W on my IPV2 it tasted burnt after 3 toots. I changed the build to a 2ohm coil. The same thing happened. I am now running it at 3ohms at 8W and still getting a burnt taste after 2 - 3 toots. My Foggers and AGA-Ts tend to do the same thing. What on Earth am I doing wrong?

I use 28G kanthal because I find it the best for me in my RDAs. Am I better off changing to a different gauge kanthal or wicking material? Or am I just really bad at setting up RTAs? I love my RDAs for the flavour they release but want the convenience of a tank for long trips etc. Any help is appreciated.
    I don't blow clouds. I might if they bought me dinner and made me feel appreciated every now and then...

AVF Regular
    Sounds like too much/too little wick or wick blocking the juice channels. Pics of your coil/wicking setup might help.

AVF Regular
    I often hear people saying Less is More when it comes to cotton wicking on RTA's. Being a RDA user maybe you're over wicking. I only use RDA's & clearo's ATM. So not much help with your Lemo build but I'm pretty sure Rip has a Lemo video up for you to watch.
    Slayer likes this.

AVF Regular
    I have a 1ohm build in my lemo and I'm chain vaping it, getting great clouds on a mech mod.
    Slayer likes this.

I'm pretty new to RTAs too but I've found the Lemo and Lemo Drop to be pretty foolproof once set up right. Definitely experiment with the amount of wicking material- should be able to move the cotton through the wick pretty easily. Also keep the juice channels clear and. I have a variety of coils from 1.1ohm to 1.8ohm on mine in 1.8 mm and 2.4mm and they're all working great.

You could also try running an additional flavour wick around the top of the chimney, which I've tried with the Drops as they were dry hitting for me while chain vaping and it works wonderfully Google Kayfun build + organic cotton and see what you can find. Rayon also worked for me in the Lemo but wicked too fast for the Drops for some reason.
    merexy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yeah, I was more used to rda's which are more forgiving, and found I had a tendency to do overly tight wicks when twisting them in my fingers with my AGA T5, am still working on it but have gotten better. Also having the cotton a little clear of the channels has been suggested to me to improve wicking, both on the AGA and Lemo. I describe how I improved my wicks in the "AGA T5" thread. Have just gotten the Lemo and now twist the cotton the same, push it away from the channels slightly so you can see light coming through (saw this on rip trippers video) and it has been great running 1.0 ohm using 26g @2.5mm diameter, about 9 wraps from memory.

Watch a few vids and keep at it, its definitely worth it.

Edit: The above build I'm running on a mech mod, I'm no cloud chaser but has great vapour and flavour production with the above.
    Last edited by Slayer; 21-12-14 at 04:33 PM.
    merexy likes this.
    "Vape mail incoming, I have"

AVF Regular
    Here's the video I found useful (the rip trippers one), covers wicking the Lemo from about 7 minutes in https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fuW9s-tjQjY
    Last edited by Slayer; 21-12-14 at 04:35 PM.
    mrjinks likes this.
    "Vape mail incoming, I have"

AVF Regular
    What does RTA stand for?

AVF Regular
    Not enough mesh.

Definately the problem.

Toddosh likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B_86 View Post
    Sounds like too much/too little wick or wick blocking the juice channels. Pics of your coil/wicking setup might help.
    This. Thanks heaps all. It's been a long month for me so the advice I would normally give anybody else regarding their wicking was the last thing I could think of for myself lol. I appreciate your replies and advice. 1.2ohm coil and reduced the amount of wick. A nice melon flavoured liquid at 12W and I'm happy again. Now I see what all the fuss is about with the Lemo. Very nice flavour. It's certainly not an RDA quality vape but it is still a very nicely built tank.
    merexy, Slayer and mrjinks like this.
    I don't blow clouds. I might if they bought me dinner and made me feel appreciated every now and then...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast