Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: VS rDAN30 coating issues.

AVF Regular

VS rDAN30 coating issues.

Vapor Shark - Refinish!?

Hey guys just thought i would post some photos of my VS rDNA30 - It has been in a Shark Skin 98% of its life and this is what it now looks like after 2 months use.

First the paint started chipping away on the top - not from drops or abuse, just simply from wiping the odd juice away or removing atomizers.

Secondly, from moisture build up (I presume) in the Shark Skin, bubbles started to form under the paint. I never noticed this initially and must have happened over the last 2 or so weeks as i would take it out now and again to wipe it all down.

This to me is not acceptable from a mod of this price and from a company of their stature. I pride each and everyone of my mods and take good care of them, but all these finish problems were out of my control. Yes i live in an area that has high humidity, but i really feel they should have applied a better coating of paint than this. Or if they couldn't then they should have left it without. Am i the only one this has happened to?

I am going to work on stripping all the paint off it today, as i have a dremel and the tool bits to do it. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Last cigarette: March 14th, 2010 - Started Vaping Feb, 2010.

"Praise the God of all. Drink the wine. And let the world be the world"

AVF Regular
    Wow. That's a bit poor. Have you approached the company.

Having said that I have seen my menthols melt driptips and crack tanks so I am not surprised when these things happen.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

lmb
    AVF Regular
    That is surprising, I know the first run dna's (the dna20 ones) had some issues with the finish but I thought they'd got on top of it. My dna30 has been wrapped for a while, but after about 6 months of daily use the exposed parts in pretty good nick, the odd scratch or chip aside. I'd be interested to see a stripped one, show us the end result.
    I also wonder whether you may have a warranty claim there, worth a shot
    RIP VP

AVF Regular
    The paint finish is said not to be under warranty, but I feel this situation, being out of my control, should be considered. I'm striping it today anyway, only because I hear their after market service is questionable and a lengthy time consuming experience.
    Last cigarette: March 14th, 2010 - Started Vaping Feb, 2010.

"Praise the God of all. Drink the wine. And let the world be the world"

I'd spray it with VHT Chassis/Roll cage paint or even some thinned down truck bed liner.
    Crisscross and Fawks like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by <---cop View Post
    I'd spray it with VHT Chassis/Roll cage paint or even some thinned down truck bed liner.
    I played around a bit with truck bed liner as a finish but the acrylic/rubber smell seems to soak into your hands. I liked the feel but not the smell and I would assume the mod gets a bit warm if you chain vape.
    <---cop likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Sorry to hear you're having these kinds of issues with your rDNA device Captain. This should not be occurring at VS price points imo.

I hope this is something they have addressed with the latest versions.

Anyhow, you're on the right path. Much better off stripping and applying you're own heavy duty finish. I would have thought that your skin would protect your device but it might have accumulated some condensation underneath in a humid climate.

Good luck and post a picture of the restoration work and let us know what you did.

AVF Regular
    WHOA. That has to be a defective paint job (as in, they've actually screwed up applying the finish on that unit).

I've had my (also black) VS rDNA30 for a few months now, too. It's my primary work banger, so it sees a lot of use.

It's been knocked over and banged against hard surfaces countless times. I carry it in the knee area pocket of cargo pants, so it's also been smacked into it's fair share of metal doorframes, seats, etc - and not always at a walking pace. It's spent a fair bit of time on "anti-slip" surfaces that feel like heavy duty sandpaper (so not rubber matting). It's had a bit of occasional juice splashed on it (and sometimes run down the side). It's been out in 40+ degree days, out in the rain, out in humidity so bad it makes my glasses fog up while I'm wearing 'em. Because it's just a work banger, I've never babied it, and never bothered buying a shark skin or wrap or anything for it - it's spent it's whole life in the buff so to speak.

I have pretty much committed every cardinal sin one can short of throwing it off a balcony and running it over .

There's a bit of paint missing around the 510 from screwing on attys (I think that's a common place for the finish to chip on these), a few chips - mainly around the corners, and I've managed to put a bloody great scratch on the fire button. The rest of the paint looks like it did the day it came out of the package. It's well loved, but compared to yours - it's pristine. My VS is how a VS should age (when the finish has been properly applied).

I would definitely be sending them some photos. Even if they won't cover it, at least it might make them look a little harder at their QC so it prevents someone else getting a unit with a dud finish.
    Last edited by Fractal; 27-12-14 at 03:47 PM.
    gtadmin and Hellfire like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Looks to me like a prep job fail.

I'd suspect it wasn't properly cleaned\prepped before that coat of paint went on.

Definite fail on QC there.

Super Moderator
    Back to metal , degrease and acid prime , then Hammerite !

Win/win
    davee likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast