Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Tell me why I'm not impressed with my first drippers :/

Tell me why I'm not impressed with my first drippers :/

Hey guys,

So I have been very happy with my Aspire Atlantis tank on my Sigelei 100w+ and my IPV2. It's been the best vapour production I've ever experienced, amazing taste for a tank, and above all - the most hassle free / reliable piece.

I had a Lemo before the Atlantis and even though it produced great flavour, it really annoyed me that it randomly leaked from the airflow holes (usually into my pocket), and the adjustable airflow was fiddly to get to.
    Also I found it much easier to just screw in a new atomiser head for the Atlantis than build new coils / rewick the Lemo.

Since I got the Atlantis I don't think I've experienced one dry or burnt hit on it. Its just so easy.

Anyway enough rambling. I got my first RDAs the other day. I ordered 2 Tugboat v2 clones and one Mutation X v2 clone (all from FT), with some pre coiled 1.0 Ohm coils.
    I spent a good amount of time building these dual coils and making sure they were as even and as pretty as I could get them. Made sure there were no hot spots, made sure it was heating evenly. Both of the builds I did (one on the Mutation X and one on Tugboat) read 0.4 Ohms.

I wicked these after watching some Youtube builds. When I was finally ready to try it, I fired it at around 22w and sucked in with the Mutation X's massive airflow halfway open. All went ok so I cranked the watts up to 40 W and tried a big lung hit. I was really impressed with how ridiculously big the cloud was, but was underwhelmed with the flavour. I know it's supposed to be more a cloud chasing RDA but still, I thought it would at least hold up against my Atlantis in flavour. I would have kept having more fun with the crazy big plumes but even though I soaked the RDAs in soapy water that day, this one still had the machine oil taste.

Anyway so up next was the Tugboat v2 clone. I fired that, drew back and immediately noticed more flavour. The clouds weren't as crazy as the MX but were still about on point with my Atlantis. The flavour was around on point with the Atlantis, maybe a little less.

So my initial impressions are yes, these Rdas are fun and pretty cool, but I guess I was just expecting a bit more from them. I was expecting more intense flavour, just from what I've read around here.

The next day after work I got these RDAs out again, screwed them onto the Sigelei 100w+ and IPV2, and dripped some more juice into each ready to try again. I should mention that I left the cotton wick in there from the last time, it wasn't fresh. Now when I fired them this time it was really gurgling and harsher on my throat, with hardly any vapour being produced. It felt to me like the wick was dry or something, so I dripped more into each one, making sure there was a whole bunch of juice in each. Tried again, same thing. Just really unsatisfying, little vapour production and harsher feeling in my throat. Are you supposed to re-wick every new session??

I know I must be doing something wrong, and I'm sure I just need to learn how to properly get the most out of these drippers. At the moment I just don't see why you'd go through more hassle and work of rewicking etc just to get a less reliable vaping experience than the Atlantis or other sub ohm tank.

Sorry for the NOVEL guys, anyone care to give me some pointers / advice? I'd really appreciate any help on what I'm doing wrong!

Can't believe I just rambled that much sh#t to get those couple of q's out. Just wanted you to know where I'm coming from.

Cheers
    steve.c and disley like this.

AVF Regular

Tell me why I'm not impressed with my first drippers :/

I personally find there to be more flavor from a more conservative dripper / build.
    My drippers have all got reduced chambers, built just over 1ohm and have a small 1mm airhole.
    These are not cloud chasing attys, but flavor is all there.
    Depends what your after really.

EDIT: and that's at about 15w
    Last edited by ssstahly; 07-01-15 at 10:00 AM.
    CMB, Nakor, steve.c and 1 others like this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

AVF Regular
    I didn't think much of the Mx v2 either, i was hoping it to be similar to the magma but easier to build on but the magma/mech is still the go to for flavour and vapour if you ask me, doesn't matter to me so much now because i don't vape anymore but my thoughts are still relevant , have you tried a magma ?
    Kerg1 likes this.
    *I Use Clones*

I have a mx v2 and it is not my cup of tea either. It isn't really meant for flavour. I would also recommend a magma, you can pick up a pretty good clone from FT cheap. A single coil build around 1.2-1.5 is on spot on for me. It will take a while to work out what works for you but it is worth it.

$15.79 Magma Style Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 1:1 clone / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    steve.c and Kerg1 like this.

Hmm ok thanks for the input / recommendations guys, might have to grab a magma and see how it stacks up.

Can anyone comment on the issues I had on the second day? What I was doing wrong?
    Last edited by Kerg1; 07-01-15 at 10:41 AM.

AVF Regular
    very hard to advise without a pic of your builds - if you post some pics of how you've set up your drippers we can give u some advice

ps - i use 1.6ohm coil in an rda on a mechanical mod - plenty of vapour and flavour
    Last edited by avtek; 07-01-15 at 11:02 AM.
    steve.c and merexy like this.

Ok I will get some pics when Im home tomorrow and post them up.

Seems like my build is a lot lower ohms than most of yours. I just assumed because I was happy with the performance of my Atlantis with 0.5 coils that if I had dual coils coming to 0.4 it would delvier the same sort of performance.

AVF Regular
    you might be dong something wrong like not tightening the wire to the posts tight enough - or maybe the airholes are not lined up with the coils? - hard to tell without seeing it

AVF Regular
    Those pre made FT coils look to be fairly small diameter.
    Only thing i can think of is maybe a bit too much cotton in there possibly reducing how well it is wicking.
    The current build on my igo dripper is 0.4ohms
    Kerg1 likes this.

AVF Regular
    that's why I stopped rebuilding. All the farting around trying to get that perfect build, then dry hits gurgling, leaking. Even when you get a good build done itll vape great for a day or so and then start dry hitting. I just pop a coil into my silo and im vaping great for a week and if the coil starts to go just replace it. The price I pay for factory coils is worth it to make vaping stress free.
    Kerg1 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast