Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kayfun Lite Plus clone wicking issues

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Kayfun Lite Plus clone wicking issues

Hi all. I recently got a Kayfun Lite Plus V2 (Infinite clone) RBA. I must have put about 10 different builds through this thing, including everything I found on the internet and this forum. Every single build I put through it I got dry burnt hits as soon as the juice I applied to the wick during building had been used. If I left it for half an hour, I'd get one decent hit, then it started burning. Being my first RBA (but had my Magma RDA for a while), I tried everything from a simple microcoil and a piece of 2mm silica through to quite complex builds and chanting into it like a monk. I even considered the juice channels being too shallow, but it didn't appear so compared to other examples on the internet.
    I inadvertently came across a possible solution to my problem last night. I put yet another build on it and thought I’d experiment with the airflow control screw. I normally have my attys set pretty tight for a mouth to lung inhale anyway and set the Kayfun up just the same. This is the only thing that I had not messed with, as the airflow was pretty tight anyway, and I didn’t want to force the screw too much. I tightened the airflow even more after reassembly and it seemed to transform the Kayfun immediately. I wouldn't even say that it was a “good” wick and coil, but it seemed to be working very well now. It seems that just a half of a turn on the airflow screw was enough to upset the balance by not providing the coil area with enough suction to "pull" the juice through to the wick. I even pulled it apart again and installed another configuration of wick and coil, which by the way was not particularly pretty either. Again, I got the same result, being able to hit it about 7 times in a row, inducing a Nicotine head rush. Lol.
    I guess if the juice channels were a little larger, I’d require less suction to pull the juice through. On the other hand, if they were much bigger, I guess from what I’ve found, I’d also encounter problems with flooding.
    Anyway….. it appears at this stage that I have found a solution to the dry burning nightmare that I have been experiencing with every build I put through this thing. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
    I hope that this might help someone else too, and apologise if I this has already been covered.
    Has anyone had this same issue and can confirm my findings?

AVF Regular
    Try organic cotton much better for wicking and heaps better flavour, to Me it sounds like your definitely blocking your juice channels, try taking the top off your chimney once you have it wicked and taking a screwdriver and push the wicks away from the channels towards the deck, trial and error I know. Good luck mate

AVF Regular
    i had the same dry hit problem a while ago on my kayfun as well. i thought the juice was not going through the coil smoothly so i got a bigger screwdriver to make a coil. wider hole should allow more juice through to the coil section i thought. im not sure if this was the solution or the boiling cotton, but seemed to solve the problem yay

How are you wrapping your coils? I've been wrapping 28g around 2mm @1.5ohm. I tried Shiseido cotton, cotton balls and silica. More wick, less wick, keeping it out of the channels etc. It seemed that everything I wrapped was getting no juice at all. Then the air flow adjustment seemed to fix it. I was actually a bit baffled.
    gusah193 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetfa65 View Post
    How are you wrapping your coils? I've been wrapping 28g around 2mm @1.5ohm. I tried Shiseido cotton, cotton balls and silica. More wick, less wick, keeping it out of the channels etc. It seemed that everything I wrapped was getting no juice at all. Then the air flow adjustment seemed to fix it. I was actually a bit baffled.
    well, good to hear something fixed it i know how them dry hits taste, yuck! i was using 30 gauge kanthal with 2mm screwdriver thingy that came with the kayfun, at ~1.4ohm (9 wraps i think) then switched to one of those blue screwdrivers u get when u buy a rda. i get ~1.4ohm from 7 wraps with those

I must be lucky as I've not had an issue yet with my KFL+, I use just enough cotton to get through the coil with out twisting or rolling it then cut it at the top of the bell. Also I have airflow wide open with no issues, it's not a huge airway stock any way.
    Good luck to those of you having teething issues as they're a great piece of kit.

Hmmm. Browny.... I think that kills my airflow theory, if yours is ok wide open. No, the airflow is not huge anyway. I appreciate the tips guys. Yep, those burnt hits on cotton are disgusting. That's one of the reasons I got some silica to try. That wasn't so bad when it dry hit. I almost took to it with a FBH (F@%&ing Big Hammer). I won't give up yet though. I'm hoping I've got it, but Ill keep at it.
    Last edited by sweetfa65; 20-01-15 at 02:02 PM.

AVF Regular
    The only time I have a problem with dry hits with my Kayfuns is in winter so next winter I will make thinner juices. I have my air flows wide open for lung hits so even though you are now vaping OK with a tighter draw the problem of the poor wicking is still really there. When you refill from the bottom then stop filling as soon as the juice reaches the top of the clear window because over filling the Kayfuns can lead to poor wicking.

AVF Regular
    Some Kayfun Lite clones have pitiably small juice channels. Flooding can always be countered with extra wicking, but the only real solution for small channels is a dremmel.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gusah193 View Post
    well, good to hear something fixed it i know how them dry hits taste, yuck! i was using 30 gauge kanthal with 2mm screwdriver thingy that came with the kayfun, at ~1.4ohm (9 wraps i think) then switched to one of those blue screwdrivers u get when u buy a rda. i get ~1.4ohm from 7 wraps with those
    The little keychain screwdrivers that are often included in clone RBA's are 1.75mm. My first KFL I had issues with 2mm coils, but after some advice here I changes to 2.4mm coils which improved things vastly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast