Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Masking tape saved my atty

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Masking tape saved my atty

I was having trouble stripping down a used Russian 91% I bought recently. I just couldn't get the tanks and caps apart. I tried a bunch of things apart from getting tools out, which would have marred the unit for sure. I grabbed some blue masking tape and wrapped each piece that wouldn't budge. I didn't really think I'd get any grip on it, but I was trying anything new at that point. Bugger me, I grabbed them and twisted and each part separated easily, one after the other. The acrylic and steel tank sleeves all separated without a single swear word. I'll keep a roll of that handy now. Bloody magic!
    I was also warned that the acrylic tank sleeves were a bit of a pain to get threaded back together. I tried it first and they were very tricky to get started. I wet my finger with tap water and ran it around the threads, and again to my amazement they now simply slipped together with no effort.
    I've seen lots of threads with people having trouble getting things apart, but I hadn't seen this and thought it might help someone out.
    My apologies if I have inadvertently stolen anyone's thunder, or doubled up.
    On this point, does lubricating things with eliquid make them a bit sticky? Can anyone tell me if using food grade or even (ahem) "personal" lubricant to make assembly easier and improve o'ring seal is a good idea or not? Should I just stick with water or juice?

AVF Regular
    All my tanks have glass tubes. In the beginning I was always cracking glass by wiggling the caps and putting pressure on the edges. so I have a wooden spoon with a handle that fits perfectly inside the tubes it allows you to push the caps off square and minimises the stress on the cut glass edges.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

I wrap a usb cable around glass parts for grip when I'm having problems unscrewing my nautilus

Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    All my tanks have glass tubes. In the beginning I was always cracking glass by wiggling the caps and putting pressure on the edges. so I have a wooden spoon with a handle that fits perfectly inside the tubes it allows you to push the caps off square and minimises the stress on the cut glass edges.
    I'm really worried about that.. The glass to metal connection on my nautilus mini is going to smash in the first week i think...

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I had trouble imagining that crisscross, but then I got it. You're talking about the ones held on by o'rings.
    Yeah, I saw that one this morning VC. What a great idea.
    DV, that's what happened to my full size one recently. One smashed tank. Lucky my fingers got away with it.
    Last edited by sweetfa65; 06-02-15 at 03:08 PM.
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    If you want glass like I do you eventually get the hang of it.
    I remember a particularly bad morning when I received 5 coloured tubes from spectrum glass for my SnP tanks. Waited almost a month and paid a reasonable amount. Broke 4 of them one after another. I still have one left that I am not game to use. Just too thin.
    Stewey likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    If you want glass like I do you eventually get the hang of it.
    I remember a particularly bad morning when I received 5 coloured tubes from spectrum glass for my SnP tanks. Waited almost a month and paid a reasonable amount. Broke 4 of them one after another. I still have one left that I am not game to use. Just too thin.
    And for furthermore thou shall be dubbed

Passion Fingers

:giggle:

Quote Originally Posted by Stewey View Post
    And for furthermore thou shall be dubbed

Passion Fingers

:giggle:

10whatsits
    Crisscross and Stewey like this.

AVF Regular
    Question around this - I've seen tanks referred to as glass and Pyrex - is there actually a difference? Should I look at tanks that are Pyrex instead of glass, or are the terms basically just used interchangeably?

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus vntosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

AVF Regular
    Crisscross, btobw and Stewey like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast