Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Failed Samsung 25R scare.

AVF Regular

Failed Samsung 25R scare.

So I have a new 18650 mod, and bought a few new 1860 Samsung 25R's to go in it. Loaded up the first one last night and had been vaping away happily on it since then. Came home and stuck new battery number 2 in this afternoon... screwed down the mod and gave it a bit of a test fire. Instantly the mod was so hot I could hardly hold the thing. I was unscrewing it like mad as the last thing I wanted was it to blow up my new GG mod. Battery went outside on the grass to think about what it had done wrong. There's bits of the plastic covering that are all melted and a brown spot on the side where it looks like it was gonna start flaming.

Scary stuff. I really didn't think that would happen like that. If I hadn't have been quick it could have made a fire. Crazy.

AVF Regular
    Batteries are not to be taken lightly. Nice save though
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

That is pretty scary. Wonder what caused it to do that :/
    nicoandlaughter likes this.

AVF Regular
    what about the ones in the eleaf's etc? are they as bad? I have a naive point of view out of sight out of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    So I have a new 18650 mod, and bought a few new 1860 Samsung 25R's to go in it. Loaded up the first one last night and had been vaping away happily on it since then. Came home and stuck new battery number 2 in this afternoon... screwed down the mod and gave it a bit of a test fire. Instantly the mod was so hot I could hardly hold the thing. I was unscrewing it like mad as the last thing I wanted was it to blow up my new GG mod. Battery went outside on the grass to think about what it had done wrong. There's bits of the plastic covering that are all melted and a brown spot on the side where it looks like it was gonna start flaming.

Scary stuff. I really didn't think that would happen like that. If I hadn't have been quick it could have made a fire. Crazy.
    Have to be a short. Hopefully not internal.

AVF Regular
    The 3rd battery I bought I am using now. No problems at all. I guess there must be some tiny % of faulty ones, and I got one of them.

And there I was thinking the news articles relating to battery fire were such a small % that it would never happen to me...
    Gresh11 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Its usually NOT the battery in cases like this ( well not the chemistry etc thats likely to fail under charging/discharging scenarios)
    for it to go ballistic like that , it had to be either a very crap battery , or a hard short , or a failure in the insulation allowing the battery to hard short inside the mod ... I would check things out thoroughly ... it could well have been the battery , but they need a reason to go ballistic , and what you described sounds very much like a hard short in the mod to me ?
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Scary stuff. I am aware of the importance of battery safety and will continue to read up on best practices etc before I go down that route. But dam do I want a box mod!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Its usually NOT the battery in cases like this ( well not the chemistry etc thats likely to fail under charging/discharging scenarios)
    for it to go ballistic like that , it had to be either a very crap battery , or a hard short , or a failure in the insulation allowing the battery to hard short inside the mod ... I would check things out thoroughly ... it could well have been the battery , but they need a reason to go ballistic , and what you described sounds very much like a hard short in the mod to me ?
    That's logical. If the battery had shorted inside it would have probably continued to die, catastrophically, even when removed from the mod.

Where the plastic has melted away from the battery on the base there could have been an issue, like the insulation did not work and let it short on the inside of the mod.

All looks well with the mod though. I'm scared to put it back in there, just in case it fries my new shiny.
    Last edited by Northerner; 13-02-15 at 06:56 PM.
    Stewey likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    That's logical. If the battery had shorted inside it would have probably continued to die, catastrophically, even when removed from the mod.

All looks well with the mod though. I'm scared to put it back in there, just in case it fries my new shiny.
    Isn't FM saying your new shiny will fry your batteries
    <---cop, Stewey, Kaoself and 2 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast