AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

NR-R-NR ni200 coils

I just pulled apart an aerotank ni200 coil which had a burnt taste to it, and noticed it seems to be 3 part. The coils is about 0.16mm but the tails, which go through insulators seem to be about 0.23mm. My guess is this is kangers attempt to build an NR-R-NR coil in nickel. It's definitely welded, and I will be interested to check a nautilus coil when I finally get round to needing to replace it. The measurements were with a cheap and nasty FastTech callipers, so may not be all that accurate, but I think it's interesting. Anyone know where to find a wire zapper?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tooter56 View Post
    I just pulled apart an aerotank ni200 coil which had a burnt taste to it, and noticed it seems to be 3 part. The coils is about 0.16mm but the tails, which go through insulators seem to be about 0.23mm. My guess is this is kangers attempt to build an NR-R-NR coil in nickel. It's definitely welded, and I will be interested to check a nautilus coil when I finally get round to needing to replace it. The measurements were with a cheap and nasty FastTech callipers, so may not be all that accurate, but I think it's interesting. Anyone know where to find a wire zapper?
    But.....But........But.......I thought nickel wire was the nr wire?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie9300 View Post
    But.....But........But.......I thought nickel wire was the nr wire?
    OK so it's very low resistance, slightly higher low resistance, very low resistance. It definitely measures as two different diameters. With the dna 40 ni200 is the resistance wire. I just put this out to see if anyone else has noticed this, and I found it interesting.