AVF Regular

Exclamation iStick 20W and power output.

Just thought I would post this thread up as sort of PSA/discussion on the 20W version of the iStick for those, like me, who didn't understand why it was prone to throwing up dry hits when it seems it shouldn't!

I have used my 2 iStick 20W's for a month and have been reasonably happy with them. Other than a few minor problems which are well known by most users I have been happy. What has prompted me to start this thread was my use of the 30W and 50W versions. After using them I can now expr it ess how frustrating the 20W can be!
    For weeks on end I was troubleshooting my coil builds and wicking. I seemed to be getting a lot of dry hits and no amount of changing coil setups, gauge of wire and wicking techniques seemed to keep the problem away! I experienced the dry hits on my Lemo's and occasionally the Billow. Now, after using the 30W and 50W versions I can say my coil building wasn't to blame. After some research it seems the chip and the way it delivers the power is the problem!

It seems the 20W doesn't use RMS which the 30W and 50W appears to. I can be getting dry hits on the 20W and put the RTA on the 30W or 50W at the same watts and get a reliable and dry-hit free vape. I feel kind of stupid for not picking this up and researching it better, earlier. Apparently, for example, pbusardo mentions the power delivery on it in one of his videos. It's a relief to know that my technique wasn't at fault but rather my understanding of the 20W's power delivery and what is displayed its screen. Some reports on the internet have stated that it's actually delivering 1volt above what is displayed. I still haven't got my head around the complete understanding of it all but I can say from my own experience the difference in chips settings makes a big difference in how they vape for me!

Anyone else only just finding out about this or knows more about it?

AVF Regular
    On our 20w Istick we just dial in enough watts to give a good vape & it seems great you can't just set a predetermined amount that vapes well on another device. If you are getting dry hits then turn it down. It's well known the Istick is over powered.
    The 50w Istick is on my radar so it's good to know it's working well for you.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    On our 20w Istick we just dial in enough watts to give a good vape & it seems great you can't just set a predetermined amount that vapes well on another device. If you are getting dry hits then turn it down. It's well known the Istick is over powered.
    The 50w Istick is on my radar so it's good to know it's working well for you.
    And that's what I kept having to do. After turning it down it produced a lot less vape and wasn't as flavoursome. I was annoyed because I was getting a better vape from my Vamo than the iStick (same atomizer and same watts). If I ran the 20W at the right watts to get a nice vape it would burn/dry hit within 2 or 3 vapes. I realise each device will have different sweet spots and different power settings will produce different results, it was just a "ah ha!" moment when the newer versions perform how I expect the 20w would have. Don't get me wrong, the 20W iStick is great, but from now on I would recommend anyone to skip it and go for the 30W. Power delivery is "more correct" plus the stainless spring connection is a big and much-needed improvement.

I am so far loving the 50W. It is a bit wider (not quite double IMO) but I am liking the extra battery capacity. I haven't needed to go above 40W so some might say it's overkill but it's still a pretty small box mod with a great battery life. Plus the charger port on the side is better than the bottom.

Have you tried the 30W?

AVF Regular
    No Aus I have only tried my wife's 20w Istick with the Nautilus mini on it but she only vapes around the 7w mark & it seems fine. She has now put an older Kanger Pro tank 2 on it & says it's milder & smoother than the Nautilus mini. I only have mech mods but I want to get into a regulated mod & the 50w Istick seemed a good way to go at a good price. Mind you the temp sensing mods are very tempting now so I will see how I go.
    I agree with you I would also advise someone to go with the 30w Istick over the 20w one.