Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Provari : fitting a new screen

AVF Regular

Provari : fitting a new screen

Ok I bought a Provari from the classifieds that was missing its screen and Criscross kindly sent me one so I could replace it. The screen arrived first with the two screws to attach it. I had a quick look at it and put it to one side and waited for the provari to turn up. It arrived in the mail a couple of days later with all of the bits and pieces that were included in the sale.
    So all I had to do was fit the screen and I was ready to go. First see if it can slide into the slot and then just hold it in place while I put the screws in...............no that isn't going to happen. Next remove the battery cap and try and slide it into position..............................very close to the point you think it might go but nooooooooooo it wont go in that way ether. Right lets try again through the slot just in case I missed something nup no way it ant going in.

Right lets try Google. After trying to watch some German guy I gave up and found an English speaking vid on how to disassemble your Provari....................Really to fit a screen. Oh well you got to do what you got to do. The guy tells me I need a screw driver and a hammer. Really to take a mod apart. I went for a punch and a small hammer instead and started trying to knock the cap out. This took a while as you tend to start of giving it little taps and then harder ones and then even harder untill the cap starts moving.

Eventually the cap comes out and the board follows even though it is held in with hot glue. I fit the screen without any problems and the slide the board back in. This is when I realize the battery pushes against the board with the pressure from the spring in the battery cap so it has to be glued in and glued in well.

I don't have a hot glue gun but I have seen some 5 minute araldite around here some where that will sort it. And just to make sure I will cut a little plastic stop that will sit between the board and the cap. I will have this sorted tonight. I mix the araldite, the check the placement of the board and as I tilt the tube down a couple of little bits roll out. WTF

It turns out the pieces are parts of the tiny mico switch which I have obviously damaged with all of my sliding the board in and out. This is not looking good.............after sussing it out for a bit I found that there was nothing broken and lucky for me the little clips that hold it together are metal not plastic so I could bend them back into shape, refit the tiny switch contact and resemble the switch.
    Luckily the araldite was slow in going off so I added a bit more hardener a glued the board in. I waited an hour or so and checked it nup still soft. Stuff it I will put it back together in the morning................ nup still soft. It has to be good to go when I get home from work....................... nup still soft.

The next day I head down to the reject shop and buy myself a hot glue gun. I plug it in a few minutes later its good to go and I put a good dolip on each side of the board reassemble the provari slide a battery in and start trying different atties on it. Thank F___k for that. Its working and it even has a new screen.

My joy was short lived as the glue didn't hold and I had to take to it again with a hammer and punch. This time I put enough glue on it that when the top cap was knocked back in it hit on the glue so there is know way it will move now.

So there you go a simple job of replacing a screen in a provari turned into a three day monster......................Who would have thought it could be so hard.

Ok the positive is it is running perfectly and It is starting to grow on me so at this stage it wont be going straight back into the classifieds.

The other thing that this exercise has really brought home to me is HOW MUCH I LOVE MY FULL MECHANICAL MODS. No Hot glue, hammers and punches required

Cheers
    Midlife
    Last edited by Midlife; 28-02-15 at 09:14 PM.

AVF Regular
    Great write up. Not the first time something seemingly simple turned into a major learning experience. So now we have a go to person to fit new screens.
    gtadmin and Midlife like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Super Moderator
    Hmmm ... no piccies ... c'mon, I'm a visual guy
    Robray and Midlife like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Great write up. Not the first time something seemingly simple turned into a major learning experience. So now we have a go to person to fit new screens.
    You know when I couldn't get it into position at the beginning I probably should have left it off for a while and maybe fitted it later but no I cant do it I just have to fit it. Its a replacement part so it can and will be replaced

Cheers
    Midlife
    gtadmin and GoodSteam like this.

AVF Regular

Hahahahaa
    gtadmin, btobw, Midlife and 1 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post

Hahahahaa
    Looks like a 3 speed Borg Warner to me (probably a 35)
    Crisscross, Stomp and Midlife like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Hmmm ... no piccies ... c'mon, I'm a visual guy
    Hang on I will just pull it apart again and redo it with photos just for you.

BOLLOCKS

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlife View Post
    Hang on I will just pull it apart again and redo it with photos just for you.

Cheers mate, much appreciated
    Crisscross, btobw and Midlife like this.

Super Moderator
    Oh, bollocks

Crisscross, btobw and Midlife like this.

AVF Regular
    Tap out top cap with a thin punch only on the button side of the board. Tap either side till it pops off, turn mod around so button is down, slide out top cap and board. Remove button.

Done it quite a few times now, replaced a momentary switch, cleaned screen, wrapped mod tube with carbon wrap and cut out windows while disassembled, reglued pcb in place, etc.

I was always hoping somebody made a non-slant cap that you could fit without having to use beauty rings.

Now the provari 2.5 only gets used while coiling gennys.
    gtadmin and Crisscross like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast