Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Why are the coils lasting so long?

AVF Regular
    I'm getting a lot longer from my coils, I'm sure it's something to do with experience.
    And coils are being better made than a year ago.
    I'm always checking the vapour level in my Delta II, as it's hard to see, I look more often, so don't allow it to get low.
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    .. I change coils about every second day....I can occasionally push it to the third day if I'm lucky. The flavour and vapour production go down hill really fast. ..
    I do find it hard to understand how your coils could 'burn out' in that amount of time, given the equipment and levels quoted (which sounded pretty moderate to me). I migrated from using Vision Spinners (and one eGo spinner) to my current mods after the first few months, and though I ran about 15 different clearos with a ..whole bunch of different flavors and concoctions, I only had one coil ever really burn out on me.

I'm wondering are your coils burning out or simply becoming too ..clogged to be effective. Have you tried cleaning them in something like an ultrasonic cleaner with a little water and vinegar in it? (Apologies for my naiivety.)

I'd guess, becoming clogged can itself increase the risk of burning out, given the heat transmission from coil to juice would be reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    .. But I do use the worse juice; vanilla/caramel dessert flavours. ..
    I have always suspected that some juice combos would be more likely to cause clogging or build up on the coil, and thereby coil burn out.. Which ones? Ask an organic chemist (that's done some experimentation). Or ask a bunch of vapers who have the real-world experience..

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

Can't admit to keeping close watch on my coil life as I have 5-6 I rotate through but well over a month before any need to be changed, not that it's a surprise.
    Mostly using Evods and PT2s myself and prefer 1.5 on the ego sticks and the tube mech or 1.8 in the vtr, that's all I have in gear so can't compare further.
    I don't use any 'heavy/dark' Eliquids and I do generally mix a lighter flavour than usual (15% recommended I usually mix 10-11%) and I go through around 4ml a day @12mg.

I fairly regularly use every ounce of that 10 second cut off though, but I'd say that just means my battery won't last as long as those who don't.
    disley and Vaporific like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    I do find it hard to understand how your coils could 'burn out' in that amount of time, given the equipment and levels quoted (which sounded pretty moderate to me).
    No, I've never had a coil 'burn out' on me. They just get clogged up and don't produce as much vapour and the flavour goes downhill, or even gets a bit nasty tasting. I am pretty fussy though, particularly about flavour, and vapour. I'm sort of addicted to how a fresh coil performs and tastes, and find it hard to tolerate a less than perfect vape.

Have you tried cleaning them in something like an ultrasonic cleaner with a little water and vinegar in it? (Apologies for my naiivety.)
    Yes, I used to fart around constantly doing all that, and then dry burning them...thousands of the bastards! But now I use the Kanger upgrade coils which are enclosed and you can't really dry burn them. I tried going back to the old style ones but they are crap by comparison so I gave up and now I just spend the bloody money and buy the replaceable coils in BULK, lol!

I have always suspected that some juice combos would be more likely to cause clogging or build up on the coil, and thereby coil burn out.. Which ones?
    After over a year of trying every juice imaginable, because on the whole I find vape flavours fairly unpleasant, I finally found one that I do enjoy day after day. Vape Craving's Daydream, which is a subtle coffee/caramel/nutty mix. Hell on coils though, unfortunately.
    gtadmin, Browny and Vaporific like this.

Super Moderator
    I think what a lot of people who have responded consider to be coil life is when it becomes unusable, not the coil burning out. I have only ever burnt out 1 coil in actual use in over 3 years, although I have burnt out a few more during dry burniing. Also, some people don't dry burn or rebuild, therefore their coil life is shorter than those who do.
    Browny and Vaporific like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

I don't clean out my coils and I'm class myself as heavy vapor (I go started off going through anything from 30ml a week now i'm up to 60ml a week (yes i've knocked my nick level down as well) I get generally over a month / coil (that is if I don't over heat them. I generally replace my atty's when they get too hard to draw through, or that the wick gets damaged and stops working. ) A tip that i've found out is never let your wick stand dry as the juice thats still in there tends to solidify over time as it dries out. sometimes i've been able to salvage them but never to how well they used to work before. This generally happens because i'm trying different tanks/atty's , I use them till they are virtually empty put them to one side (for over a month or even longer) and try the others. when I get back to using that tank I generally end up having to change the coil/atty as its all hard and not soaking up the juice. I have had the ocassional one though that only lasts 3 days to a week (which is what i heard that was average. so I counted myself lucky that they last as long as they do ). You also get people that will put too much power through them and thats going to shorten their life span.
    Vaporific likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Coil life(disregarding cleaning/dry burning) is directly proportional to the amount of juice run through the coil & type of juice used, at any given ohms/watts.

So for a coil of 1.8 ohms running at 12 watts, you can expect it to gunk up at a consistent rate, relative to what type of juice is being used.
    So to get 4 months use from a coil, using one type of juice, may not mean you will get 4 months of use vaping a different juice.
    That 4 months is relative to the volume of juice put through the coil, for a quick calculation 120days(4mths) X 2ml/day = 240ml.
    Someone that vapes at 5ml per day is only going to get around 6 weeks use from the same coil, if all other variables are the same.

As a (possibly) interesting side note, I vape around 3ml per day, on mainly RBAs at 24mg/ml, my coils can last 3 months or more & are usually from 0.8ohm to 1.2ohm but being rebuildable, the wicks get changed more frequently than the coils.
    If I was vaping 12mg/ml, I would more than likely be consuming more than double the volume of juice to try to get the same level of satisfaction & be changing wicks even more frequently & coils.
    Browny and Vaporific like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Blacktop and his Mrs simply have no taste!
    Not the first time I've been described as tasteless....lol. I generally replace coils when the draw starts to get restricted and vapor production diminishes.
    Vaporific likes this.

Mine last ages as well unless I'm vaping a cinnamon juice or my DIY with tobacco absolute.
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'm really not sure how much I'm vaping.
    I'll have to go back to using 30ml bottles to fill my tanks.
    I think I'm vaping close to 30mls a day, so I'm surprised when you say you only vape 2mls or 4mls a day.
    My vaping increased dramatically when I dropped from 18mg nic to 9mg.
    I have two Lemo's and two Delta's going, and vape them all, and a Kanger subtank, and mini tank, and a Silo going. All vaped everyday.
    The Lemo's and Delta's are refilled everyday. Sometimes more than once.
    I changed the coil in my Delta II yesterday, and what a pleasure it is to vape now, I had no idea the old coil was stopping me taste the flavour.
    Because it didn't taste burnt and was throwing out clouds of vapour, I thought it was still good.
    I may try washing the coil and seeing if it recovers any flavour.
    I'm vaping the Lemo's at around 23watts, and the Delta's at 30watts, I prefer a cool vape.
    Last edited by disley; 11-03-15 at 05:12 PM.
    Vaporific likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast