Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Why are the coils lasting so long?

AVF Regular

Why are the coils lasting so long?

I'm using a Kanger Aerotank Mega & have got used to hearing that coils need to be changed ..every week or so.

I must have had this tank for 4 months or so at least, and have only changed the coil once. Even that was purely out of curiosity as to whether I could detect a difference in taste (I couldn't). A few weeks before I changed it, Max at Steamers got curious enough about the stated longevity of the coils to have an experimental vape on it and confirmed it seemed fine.

So why are my coils lasting so long?

I suspect it is a combination of factors:

• My ADV (in that tank) is 'Coffee'. Not 'Coffee Mocha' or 'Capuccino' but just plain 'U4EA Coffee'. I suspect some flavors are more prone to gunk up on coils than the simpler coffee flavor.
    • My Sigelie Zmax mini is typically set to around 10-12 watts. I suspect that higher wattage vaping will go through coils faster.
    • The coils are 1.8Ω-2.0Ω. Definitely no sub-ohming going on here.
    • My mod never gives the 'OK enough time, I'm cutting out!' warnings that I guess are built into it.
    • I use relatively strong nicotine levels (started around 24mg and have only recently dropped via steps to 12mg) & go through about 2 mls a day (which again, seems less than the average).
    • I use 70/30 PG/VG. I used to vape 80/20 but thought I'd go 'wild' and push the (my) limits. I think (suspect) VG is more likely to gunk up coils.

I have no reason to believe the Kanger coils are more robust than any other good quality factory built coils. So, beyond invoking Vape Pixies, are there other reasons these coils might be lasting so long? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, merely curious.

And if it is the Vape Pixies. Hey.. thanks, must set some nice juice & cookies out for y'all!
    Last edited by Vaporific; 09-03-15 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added coil resistance.
    gtadmin, Fatman, jheltonau and 3 others like this.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    It's your juice, the temp you vape at, the time you fire the coil, the amount of sugars in the juice.....

the life of a coil is a combination of these things. Everyone will be different. mine last for ages too
    Vaporific likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Me too, I generally change my coils no sooner than once a month. I started on evods then Protanks (same coils) and I was getting around a month. I do occasionally dry burn them. Now my main devices are a Silo and Joytech eGo One I seem to still get around a month or more. I use 50/50 at around 3-4mls a day, 8mg nic. My wife was using no nic evods and got longer than me.
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    I believe that Vaporific, Altered1 and Max are colluding and work for Kanger!! Blacktop and his Mrs simply have no taste! Sound feasible???
    Polo89, Altered1 and Vaporific like this.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

AVF Regular
    Here's a clue.....!
    about 2 mls a day
    set to around 10-12 watts
    I should think it'd last. lol
    Altered1 and Vaporific like this.

AVF Regular
    Wish I was so lucky. I change coils about every second day....I can occasionally push it to the third day if I'm lucky. The flavour and vapour production go down hill really fast.

I don't know about watts, but I use ego batteries set on about 3.6volts, on 1.5 - 1.8ohm Kanger coils (dual upgrade coils). I don't take particularly long draws as far as I know? But I do use the worse juice; vanilla/caramel dessert flavours. Vape 4-5mls a day, 10mg.
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    why not just add a teaspoon of white sugar Jenj!
    JenJ likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Vaporific what ohm coils do you use?
    1.5Ω, 1.8Ω, 2.0Ω
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by disley View Post
    Here's a clue.....!
    about 2 mls a day ..
    Yes, I see the amount of juice others are saying they consume and feel a bit ..left out, somehow. But mostly just thinking I'm lucky being entirely satisfied on the smaller mount of juice.

set to around 10-12 watts
    I should think it'd last. lol
    When there is so much enthusiasm about for the DNA 40 and the iStick 50 Watt and above models, 10-12 watts seems more 'Clark Kent' than 'Superman' (who'd probably side-step the entire trivial coil problem to vaporize the juice with his x-ray vision!). None of my current mods goes above 15 watt in any case. And sub-ohming? Forget it! The Sigelei mods seem to cut out at around 1.2 Ohm!
    disley and Browny like this.

AVF Regular
    Vaporific what ohm coils do you use?
    1.5Ω, 1.8Ω, 2.0Ω
    Yeah, my apologies, I knew there was some vital piece of information about this overall puzzle I was forgetting to add.

The steamers site is listing the coils as 1.8Ω-2.0Ω (you'd think Kanger could pin it down!). But anyway, 'relatively high resistance' compared to most coils that others are using. So there's another factor in their longevity.
    disley and disley like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast