Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: After a new mod - I'm still a newbie

kjf
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

After a new mod - I'm still a newbie

Hi all,

When I first get into a hobby I often find it hard to trawl through the pages and pages of information to determine what is best for me. It seems every ten minutes I find something new. I love the research process but sometimes it's better to ask questions and get a bit of information to stand on before continuing the search.

So I've been using an iStick 20w and a Nautilus Mini for a few months. I just ordered a Lemo and it should be here Monday. I've decided to buy a new mod to match the Lemo, and whatever RTAs I want to buy in the future.

What I really want is something like the iStick 50, but nicer looking (read: a bit more industrial in appearance).

I am willing to spend up to $150. I don't know how much power I'll need, but let's say 100 (although I would like some advice here).

I want something that takes 2 18650 batteries so it will be comparable in battery life to the iStick 50.

I'm aware of the Sigelei 100W and that is a top contender at this point. What else do you think I should be looking into?

Summary:

$150 - I could be swayed to spend higher if the quality warrants it.
    100W - or can you tell me why I should go lower? Will I need more than 50?
    2 18650 capacity. Note: price does not include purchase of the batteries. I just want the mod.
    Box mod, or something a bit more rugged looking than the iStick 50
    Outstanding build quality for the price

Thanks for any input!

AVF Regular
    How about one of the VaporFlasks ?- or Clones at least . . . 50W - two 18650 - should be more than enough unless you're into serious sub-ohming & cloud chasing ?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kjf View Post
    I want something that takes 2 18650 batteries so it will be comparable in battery life to the iStick 50.
    You don't need anything that takes 2 batteries so as it lasts as long as the iStick 50w as you can have a couple of fully charged bats ready to replace.
    You can have 10 fully charged 18650 bats to take out with you, so maybe a single battery mod may also be enough.
    I like my IPV Mini 2 70w but it is a single battery box mod and seems most aussie vendors are sold out ATM

kjf
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had a Sigelei Zmax v3 that I used for a few months before I switched to the iStick. I got sick of keeping track of my batteries for the Sigelei, and it was a pain to carry them around with me if I was staying away from home over the weekend (which is almost every weekend).

I loved the simplicity of the iStick. So I want something similar with my new mod. Two batteries = longer life. USB charging is a must (this is okay for the batteries, right?). I'll revise my requirements as I don't think I'm gonna need more than 50W.

AVF Regular
    Keep in mind that 2 batteries only offer extended life if they are in parallel.
    All the 70+ watt mods that have 2 batteries are wired in series and will not last any longer than a single battery.

Did you know you can get wraps for the iStick 50 to change the appearance?

kjf
    Hmm. I wasn't aware, thanks soulvaper. Is that something that will generally be stated on a manufacturer's website?

I know about the skins, but I'm still not feeling it tbh. It just looks kinda frumpy to me. My analogy of the looks of the iStick lineup:

10 - cute little kid
    20 - that hot girl you had a crush on in high school
    30 - hot girl from high school is still hot
    50 - she got fat

If nothing else comes along in the next few weeks I guess it'll have to be the 50. Function over form in most instances, but I do want something that looks good and has great performance with killer battery life to boot.

AVF Regular
    I've seen 26650 50 watt mods. Can't recall which ones other than one of the clouper boxes. That would give more hours of vaping, but limit you to about 20amp [I don't think any 26650 has passed that yet]
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Where abouts are you. It might be helpful for you to go into a bricks and mortar store or meet up with some other vapers to have a try out of some of the options. All of us have our favourites but you might hate them.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

kjf
    I'm from Brisbane. I live about 15 minutes from the CBD. I read somewhere that there was a Brisbane meet a while ago. Is there a area on this forum where meets are organized?

Okay so I have another question. I can go with a 50w w/ 1 18650, but I want to know a bit more about the batteries.

I used an Efest 2250 in my Sigelei. I've seen some 18650s that are 4200. Are they too powerful for a single 18650 mod? Because I'm just thinking the higher mAh, the longer the discharge. What do you think?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kjf View Post
    I'm from Brisbane. I live about 15 minutes from the CBD. I read somewhere that there was a Brisbane meet a while ago. Is there a area on this forum where meets are organized?

Okay so I have another question. I can go with a 50w w/ 1 18650, but I want to know a bit more about the batteries.

I used an Efest 2250 in my Sigelei. I've seen some 18650s that are 4200. Are they too powerful for a single 18650 mod? Because I'm just thinking the higher mAh, the longer the discharge. What do you think?
    I don't vape anything that heavy so not a lot of help to you with this one.

Under the community tab there is an option for groups. Join up with the QLD ones and you can see who is around you and if there is a meet happening.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast