Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Why are Box mods better than Rod mods?

AVF Regular

Why are Box mods better than Rod mods?

I vastly prefer rod (AKA 'tube' - but I'm starting a trend) mods. But I have been in a position recently where smokers are asking me about recommendations for mods and that is when I baulk.. choosing between a box mod and a rod mod. The reason I hesitate is that I am trying to give the person who asked the best advice for them, as opposed to 'my opinions', and that is about all I can offer them at this stage.

As an aside, although I've now vaped for 10 months I still consider myself to be a 'newbie'. If I say something that you think is either very clever/sarcastic, but might just be based of a vast gulf of ignorance, please presume the latter.

So.. I'll first outline why I think rod mods are 'better', to give people an idea of the (wide, possibly very opinionated) scope of their answers promoting box mods that I'm after.

• Rod mods are more often based around 18000 series batteries. I carry a few spare batteries (they are small enough) and if my rod mod begins to sputter and fail, it's a simple matter to swap one battery for another.
    • Rod mods are more likely to offer a battery expansion system (e.g. telescopic or extension rings) that will allow using different sized batteries. As far as I know, no box mod offers the same feature (and I cannot really see how it could be implemented).
    • I carry my main mod in a lanyard hung around my neck, making it very easy to snatch it up, take a sip of the vapors, drop it and forget it till I need another sip. Although I have once seen a 'carry pouch' for a box mod, the leather strap on it was so thin that it would tend to cut into the skin!
    • Most tanks are tubular in design, and fit well with the rod style mod (making them look like a multistage rocket.. way cool!). In contrast, a tubular tank on top of a box mod has the look of 'designed by a committee - who valued safety (or some other thing) over looks'. The box mods that include the tank down the side of the box look much more elegant (to me), but still not quite as nice as a rod mod. Further, I expect that those 'side by side' type box mods would allow fewer choices of tanks.
    • The term 'Rod Mod' makes me think 'Hot-Rod' while 'Box Mod' makes me think 'Volvo'.. (Yes, your reasons can be that arbitrary).

So, what am I (and people I advise) missing (out on)? Why do you prefer a box mod?

So far the only thing I can think of that clearly puts box mods in the lead is "they don't tend to roll off the table (..pier, counter at the pub) like rod mods". Please give me a bit more '..ammo' in support of the box style mods.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    I prefer both. Haha!
    Only plus for box mods for me is the battery life.
    Last edited by IvanDOTJ; 19-03-15 at 08:45 PM.
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    Well. most box mods are more likely to stay upright when you put them down , and seldom roll awayBut you said that. Less likely to fire by accident?
    Last edited by LimeB; 19-03-15 at 08:47 PM.
    Vaporific likes this.

Super Moderator
    Boxes let you SQUOOOOONK
    Nakor, steve.c, Littleraf and 2 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

LNB
    AVF Regular
    What about pipes..
    steve.c likes this.

AVF Regular
    For me, size in my hand. I work with the public and I'd rather not be walking around sucking on a vibrator sized mod. My e-Leaf mini with the 19mm Silo tank just disappears into my hand and battery life is long enough. If it runs out I can just plug the mini USB lead in while I'm driving and it's fully charged in about 40 mins. My main work mod was my VTR but it's sooooo heavy in my pocket. Bear in mind when I work I am away for up to 14 days at a time, it's so much easier to plug in the mini USB than set up my charger for the 18650s. So for me, it's convenience. When I'm at home I'm happy to use a full size "rod mod".

AVF Regular
    Why does it matter.

What every suits your vaping lifestyle. The best gear is the setup you like

I have box mods with Inbuilt batteries and some with replaceables and I have tube mods with inbuilt batteries and some without. I like them all for different situations
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Boxes let you SQUOOOOONK
    Sounds like a challenge to me
    Fatman, Littleraf and Vaporific like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    I know of 1 tube squonker
    I would take more objection to wearing any mod on a lanyard it's not a necklace ffs
    RIP 22.12.2016

AVF Regular
    Box mods for the power.
    Gimme dem watts.
    coal miner, steve.c and Vaporific like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast