• 3 Post By giruvian
  • 2 Post By ThrashR
  • 1 Post By greazy
  • 2 Post By Fractal
  • 2 Post By akef38

Thread: Thinking of getting a black Russian 91%

Super Moderator

Thinking of getting a black Russian 91%

Can anyone here give me a heads up if they have had any issues with the black coating?

How well does it wear?? Is it effected at all by cleaning etc etc

bk_renesis likes this.
    Ingrid

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

Super Moderator
    I am thinking of getting a Russian too , not too fussed what colour
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator
    I was waiting for that FM
    Fatman, bk_renesis and akef38 like this.
    Ingrid

Mine has been good so far, as far as paint, a little bit of paint wear on the 510, but none on the body

however....

Build deck screws aren't the greatest, they have a small rounded bevel under the screw head to the threads which makes capturing the coil just a little trickier than a kayfun. Best to replace them IMO
    build deck is a little less sturdy than a kayfun. The 510 screw is a bit annoying depending on the device. Its best fitted on a device with a short 510 or decent spring loaded/manually adjusted 510.
    If you need to adjust your 510 on the russian you have a better chance of undoing the build deck completely than a kayfun
    And finally the 510 can leak if you adjust it out too far. Put a second oring in behind the 510 screw to stop it
    giruvian and Altered1 like this.

AVF Regular
    can we get a 241 deal going or a group buy on that FM?
    Fatman likes this.
    Vape on

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I haven't had mine long enough for wear to be a problem (2mths). Mine is a painted finish rather than electroplating. Anything that would affect paint will affect the finish. I'd have minimal contact with alcohol and other chemical cleaners. Other than that, hot and soapy water etc with soft brushes should be fine. Any attempts to kick a field goal with it after a few burnt hits will show. Chucking it around in the sink might too.

AVF Regular
    I've had mine for ages, and I've flogged the crap out of it. It's been one of my "work beater" tanks so it's had a hard life (and it won't be retiring any time soon - new large chambered, 25w+, designed for multi-coils tanks are just too power hungry when you go all day without access to a charger).

On the plus side, I haven't had any of the coating flake off in the tank, or anything like that. All the "inside" surfaces are as pristine and shiny as the day it arrived. And the coating is conductive, so there's no worries about the threads being coated.

The bad side? Well... long term, it was worn a bit thin in some areas, and faded a bit on the outside surfaces. I think conductive coatings on SS just tend to do that. It hasn't chipped, so there's no bad looking white or shiny metal spots that stand out. It's more like... rub marks and fading. It's not too bad, but it is noticeable.

It is still a good looking tank though - I'm running mine with a full size acrylic kit at the moment, but it also looks really good with a smoke black plastic tank section. FT "Kayfun" replacement tank sections, acrylic kits, and those nixie tube looking 'bell caps' fit it without issues (haven't tried the quartz kits - no threading means not sturdy enough for a work beater).

Oh yeah, I just looked - and my grey one has the same sort of fading / rub marks in the finish too. So it's just something about the finishing / coatings on the R91%s in general, and not specific to the black one. So if you want an R91%, you might as well just get the colour you prefer.
    giruvian and gtadmin like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

Super Moderator
    thanks for that Fractal, it has helped a lot. I was most concerned with the interior holding up, and by the sounds of it, it's not an issue.

Now I just have to wait for vapingmad to come back from holidays so I can check which bottom pin their current stock has. From what I've read - spring loaded = crap.
    Ingrid

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    I am thinking of getting a Russian too , not too fussed what colour
    So that's why he disappears from the forum hmm,,,,,,, and doesn't say anything. Now i know why he stocks up on Vodka !!! and i thought the Vodka was just to clean his attys. lol.
    gtadmin and Fatman like this.