Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By laurie9300
  • 2 Post By laurie9300

Thread: anyone actually using egrip at high watts?

AVF Regular

anyone actually using egrip at high watts?

hello, i couldn't find a thread on egrip hardware, so im asking in a new thread. sorry

so i've had my egrip for 2 months now, played around with rba base, and found that i can never vape off this thing at any highet wattage than lowest watt possible
    Saw many many e grip reviews on youtube, like todd's, suckmymods', and etc.. and they were vaping at 20w no problem.
    All i get is nasty burnt taste if it is not at smallest dot.
    changed juice multiple times, but did not solve any problem.. so i've started going back to ciggies for satisfying smoke..

has anyone suffered from the similar problem and found a solution for it? or are youtubers pretending to be enjoying egrip at 20w, when actually they're getting full burnt metalic vapes?

thanks in advance!

AVF Regular
    Vaping on my egrip now @ 20W no problem. I'm using the RBA base, 1.4 ohm coil with KGD, sheer heaven.

If your getting a burnt taste it usually means your juice is not saturating the coil fast enough.

This is most commonly caused by too much wicking material, too tight in the coil.

I can help but need to know coil ohms and diameter, plus what wick you are using. Pics are always a plus too.......
    gtadmin and gusah193 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie9300 View Post
    Vaping on my egrip now @ 20W no problem. I'm using the RBA base, 1.4 ohm coil with KGD, sheer heaven.

If your getting a burnt taste it usually means your juice is not saturating the coil fast enough.

This is most commonly caused by too much wicking material, too tight in the coil.

I can help but need to know coil ohms and diameter, plus what wick you are using. Pics are always a plus too.......
    Thanks laurie for reply! erm.. im having trouble posting photo on forum. forgot how to.. lol i didnt get a ohm measuring deck for this but, i've used blue screwdrivers and around 7 wraps on it... i'll post pic when i figure out how!

AVF Regular

too much..?

AVF Regular
    Doesn't look too bad as far as wicking..........but the coil is a bit.......shall we say asymmetrical!

The problem you get when a coil is touching in places, and spaced in places is hot spots. This could be causing your burnt taste.

One of the disadvantages you have with the egrip (when you don't have the 510 adapter) is not being able to test fire your coils. I definitely recommend you get one.

If this coil is giving you hot spots you need to replace it. Next time you wrap a coil, before you fit it, you need to heat it up and pinch it with tweezers to make sure all the coils are touching evenly............
    gtadmin and avtek like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie9300 View Post
    Doesn't look too bad as far as wicking..........but the coil is a bit.......shall we say asymmetrical!

The problem you get when a coil is touching in places, and spaced in places is hot spots. This could be causing your burnt taste.

One of the disadvantages you have with the egrip (when you don't have the 510 adapter) is not being able to test fire your coils. I definitely recommend you get one.

If this coil is giving you hot spots you need to replace it. Next time you wrap a coil, before you fit it, you need to heat it up and pinch it with tweezers to make sure all the coils are touching evenly............
    omg thank so much laurie u life saver!

i've read ur comments and fixed around rba deck for a bit, and i think it was the top cap. may be i screwed it in too tight?. and just found out that the metal deck can also block 4 holes that lead juice to wick haha. yup yup I've heat fixed it with my kayfun b4 placing it on egrip.

thanks so much for da tips! im scared to try out 20w right now, but im half way there and no burnt taste so far little scared juice might overwick and wets itself on the floor while im sleeping..
    Last edited by gusah193; 06-04-15 at 11:18 PM.

AVF Regular
    Glad I could help! I didn't know the wick holes could get blocked, that doesn't sound right.

I have suffered from a few drops leaking from the bottom a couple of times, I just sit it on a vaper towel.

AVF Regular
    I vape at or near the lowest setting while my Son vapes at 20w often on his depending on the juice he's running. Can't say as mine ever tasted burnt except for when coil is getting gunked up but I just don't like the vape that warm I guess. I just adjust power till I get a vape I enjoy starting at the lower end and work my way up.

One brand of grape he vapes @ 20w while a local blend of grape he also gets he thinks tastes like it's burning sometimes on the lowest setting.

But I have found what Laurie suggested is true, un-even or messy coil winds or even coil placement can make a big difference in taste.
    Every mighty oak tree started life out just as some crazy nut trying to hold it's ground!