Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: SubTank Mini review

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

SubTank Mini review

So a couple of weeks before I left for a tropical holiday at the end of last month, I decided I wanted a tank that did not require rebuilding of coils etc, something easy to use & vape with while on Holidays.
    I looked at the available options, then decided on the Sub Tank Mini & I'm glad I did.
    I put in an order with GearBest & used their Australia Line shipping option, which arrived in 10 days time to me in W.A.
    Genuine Kanger SUBTANK MINI 510 Thread E-Cigarette 4.5ml Rebuildable Clearomizer-49.90 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    Prior to ordering, I asked Lazia, our GB rep on AVF, in PM & the GB Thread if there was a coupon code & was told "use subtankmini you can get a price of $25.99" (this is US$).
    The coupon code still works, although the price has risen a little to $28.99(US) (checked at time of posting this review).

The same packaging that the Sigelei 100W Plus was sent in, a bubble wrap lined envelope, was used for this package, no extra bubble wrap,which I'd still like to see.
    Although I feel that it is more acceptable on a cheaper priced item such as this, which has a good, strong, manufacturer's packaging box, not to have the added bubble wrap layer.

I checked the Authenticity & it is a genuine Kanger product, not that I doubted it from the box it arrived in but I know people will want to know, so I checked.
    My initial thoughts were that it performed well, right out of the box, with the 0.5ohm coil removed from the device & the 1.2ohm coil installed.
    Because of this, I could easily recommend it to new & intermediate vapers or even to experienced vapers, that want a tank atomiser that is easy to use.
    The one I received also had PEEK insulators in the RBA head.

After going through a full tank on the Subtank mini, I really did/do like how it performs but found the flavor is not as good as my RDA builds at the same ohms, after a solid week of use, while on holidays, using just 1 coil head (1.2ohm) I was still very impressed with the performance. The flavor did improve slightly after the initial tankful but not a great deal.
    It is better than most other clearomizers but not as good as a RDA, though I am yet to find a tank system(non-genesis) that is.

One thing that I really wanted to test with this device was it's leak resistance, during normal daily use I have not been able to make it leak, with either the OCC coil or the build I put in the RBA head it comes with.
    On my flight to Bali, I had the AFC set to the second most airflow position ( 2 holes), with the tank over 1/2 full, normally on any flight, most tanked atties/clearos will leak, happily the Sub Tank Mini did not leak a single drop, even into the "reservoir" below the coil, where the airflow comes in, not even a single drop.
    Ideally, you should completely close the AFC when going on a flight, that will minimise leaks the best but I was testing how much the ST mini would or in this case didn't leak.
    So on my flight back I had the AFC fully open, again with the tank over 1/2 filled, when we landed I checked to see if it had leaked & about 0.5-1ml of juice was in the bag I'd wrapped around the ST mini, so yes it will leak with the AFC wide open but I did expect that this would be the case.
    That is didn't leak on the 2nd setting was a bit of a surprise, so the ST mini passed my leak test with "flying" colours LOL

Upon returning from holidays, I installed the RBA head & built a single 1.2ohm chimney coil on it.
    This was quite easy to build on & I feel that new vapers, not sure if they want to get into RBAs but that would like to try it, would benefit greatly from this particular device.
    If the newbie tries building their own coil & finds it interests them, they may move on to other RBAs, if they find that rebuilding atties is not for them, they still have a very good clearomiser to use.
    The RBA head does produce better flavour than the OCC coils but still falls short of my Orchid V4 RTA tanks for flavour.

Overall I give the SubTank Mini 7.8/10, it would have been an 8/10, if the AFC (which works quite well) had a better range of airflow control.
    I find the wide open setting just a little too airy & the 2nd setting (2 holes open) a little too restrictive, a setting between these 2 would have been nice. Mostly I have been using the AFC fully opened & taking softer puffs to simulate the draw I want. This also plays a part in the flavour production, which would be better with the draw open to where I like it rather than how it is.

Factory wrapped box:

Unboxing, showing all the spares & documents that come in the box:

RBA head, showing pre-installed coil & PEEK insulators:

Last edited by Noe; 15-04-15 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added pics
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    good review

have any problems with any of the OCC coils not preforming properly ?

AVF Regular
    This bodes well for me as I have ordered one and am expecting this Tuesday. I wanted it for just the reason you mentioned, easy to build but if it doesn't work out I can use it with the stock coils. Thanks for the revue.
    Noe likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    So a couple of weeks before I left for a tropical holiday at the end of last month, I decided I wanted a tank that did not require rebuilding of coils etc, something easy to use & vape with while on Holidays.
    I looked at the available options, then decided on the Sub Tank Mini & I'm glad I did.
    I put in an order with GearBest & used their Australia Line shipping option, which arrived in 10 days time to me in W.A.
    Genuine Kanger SUBTANK MINI 510 Thread E-Cigarette 4.5ml Rebuildable Clearomizer-49.90 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    Prior to ordering, I asked Lazia, our GB rep on AVF, in PM & the GB Thread if there was a coupon code & was told "use subtankmini you can get a price of $25.99" (this is US$).
    The coupon code still works, although the price has risen a little to $28.99(US) (checked at time of posting this review).

The same packaging that the Sigelei 100W Plus was sent in, a bubble wrap lined envelope, was used for this package, no extra bubble wrap,which I'd still like to see.
    Although I feel that it is more acceptable on a cheaper priced item such as this, which has a good, strong, manufacturer's packaging box, not to have the added bubble wrap layer.

I checked the Authenticity & it is a genuine Kanger product, not that I doubted it from the box it arrived in but I know people will want to know, so I checked.
    My initial thoughts were that it performed well, right out of the box, with the 0.5ohm coil removed from the device & the 1.2ohm coil installed.
    Because of this, I could easily recommend it to new & intermediate vapers or even to experienced vapers, that want a tank atomiser that is easy to use.
    The one I received also had PEEK insulators in the RBA head.

After going through a full tank on the Subtank mini, I really did/do like how it performs but found the flavor is not as good as my RDA builds at the same ohms, after a solid week of use, while on holidays, using just 1 coil head (1.2ohm) I was still very impressed with the performance. The flavor did improve slightly after the initial tankful but not a great deal.
    It is better than most other clearomizers but not as good as a RDA, though I am yet to find a tank system(non-genesis) that is.

One thing that I really wanted to test with this device was it's leak resistance, during normal daily use I have not been able to make it leak, with either the OCC coil or the build I put in the RBA head it comes with.
    On my flight to Bali, I had the AFC set to the second most airflow position ( 2 holes), with the tank over 1/2 full, normally on any flight, most tanked atties/clearos will leak, happily the Sub Tank Mini did not leak a single drop, even into the "reservoir" below the coil, where the airflow comes in, not even a single drop.
    Ideally, you should completely close the AFC when going on a flight, that will minimise leaks the best but I was testing how much the ST mini would or in this case didn't leak.
    So on my flight back I had the AFC fully open, again with the tank over 1/2 filled, when we landed I checked to see if it had leaked & about 0.5-1ml of juice was in the bag I'd wrapped around the ST mini, so yes it will leak with the AFC wide open but I did expect that this would be the case.
    That is didn't leak on the 2nd setting was a bit of a surprise, so the ST mini passed my leak test with "flying" colours LOL

Upon returning from holidays, I installed the RBA head & built a single 1.2ohm chimney coil on it.
    This was quite easy to build on & I feel that new vapers, not sure if they want to get into RBAs but that would like to try it, would benefit greatly from this particular device.
    If the newbie tries building their own coil & finds it interests them, they may move on to other RBAs, if they find that rebuilding atties is not for them, they still have a very good clearomiser to use.
    The RBA head does produce better flavour than the OCC coils but still falls short of my Orchid V4 RTA tanks for flavour.

Overall I give the SubTank Mini 7.8/10, it would have been an 8/10, if the AFC (which works quite well) had a better range of airflow control.
    I find the wide open setting just a little too airy & the 2nd setting (2 holes open) a little too restrictive, a setting between these 2 would have been nice. Mostly I have been using the AFC fully opened & taking softer puffs to simulate the draw I want. This also plays a part in the flavour production, which would be better with the draw open to where I like it rather than how it is.

PS: I have pics to post but don't have time right now, I'll edit them in later.
    Great review! Nice to see written reviews too, especially when relying on mobile data :/

The only thing I might add, is in respect to the AFC, wide open can also be not so wide open, by just not opening it all the way to the clicked position, rather just by turning the sleeve to the point where the wide open slot is partially covered by the ring, giving you full control over the air flow. I also do this with the tiniest hole, to get an even tighter draw on the opposite end of the scale.
    Mods~ VamoV2(PIFed),V5(x3(2 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Istick 20(Dead),30(x2(Both PIFed)),50(Dead),40TC(x2(1 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Vapor Shark rDNA40(Sold), DNA200(Traded), Flask V2.1(Sold)*IPV D2(x2(1 Dead, 1 Sold)),4S*eVic VT(x2(1 Dead, 1 PIFed)),VTC(x6(2 PIFed)*Sigelei 150W*Smok X-Cube II(Sold)*YiHi SX Mini M Class.*Wismec DNA200(x3),RX200(Sold)*eLeaf Pico, Pico Squeeze(x4)*CoV Wraith*Mechs ~ Genuine Phenom The Beast PVF Edition*Stingray X(x2)*Nemesis(x3)*King*Le Petit Gros(x3)*Kato*Black Hawk*Abaddon

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofprint View Post
    good review

have any problems with any of the OCC coils not preforming properly ?
    The one coil I have used was fine (the one in the box).
    I have some replacement coils coming from GB & I'll update this thread to let you know how they go.
    Last edited by Noe; 13-04-15 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typo
    Hoofprint likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

AVF Regular
    Awesome review! As someone who owns 4 Subtank minis and pretty much using it all day everyday since it's been released with 0.5ohm coils I have never had any issues with the OCC coils before.

And as a small contribution, here is a pic of one of my very loved Subtank minis on a iStick 50W.
    giruvian and Danyel Geelong like this.

Great review mate.

My question is more about your trip to Bali. Any hassles with customs either end with your gear. Did you find the new Vape shops in Bali any good. We head over for our annual in a few months time. It will be hard to stay of the gudangs - love them - love the smell - you know what I mean.

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by Danyel Geelong View Post
    Great review! Nice to see written reviews too, especially when relying on mobile data :/

The only thing I might add, is in respect to the AFC, wide open can also be not so wide open, by just not opening it all the way to the clicked position, rather just by turning the sleeve to the point where the wide open slot is partially covered by the ring, giving you full control over the air flow. I also do this with the tiniest hole, to get an even tighter draw on the opposite end of the scale.
    Yes I know it can do that but it is not the ideal solution, the AFC locks into place for the 4 settings, full open, 2 holes open, 1 hole open, fully closed.
    I think it would have been just as easy for Kanger to use a similar locking system & just use the one (fully open) slot for AFC but have the "locks" ratchet into place along that slot. By doing it that way a greater range of AFC would have been possible, for a wider range of draw, with the AFC "locked" into position.

The trouble with trying to adjust the AFC ring to your desired draw, manually & not using the locked positions, is that it needs to be set up every time you fill the tank & takes time to get it "just right". Then, if you are a little clumsy or perhaps a little drunk & pick your PV up in the wrong place, it is easy to have the AFC ring move out of place, this doesn't happen when the AFC is clicked into place - I really like this feature of the AFC BTW (the "locking" thing).
    Essie's Glass DTs

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by VapeG View Post
    Great review mate.

My question is more about your trip to Bali. Any hassles with customs either end with your gear. Did you find the new Vape shops in Bali any good. We head over for our annual in a few months time. It will be hard to stay of the gudangs - love them - love the smell - you know what I mean.
    No trouble at either end's customs. All I took with me was the ST mini, the Sigelei 100W plus, 2 spare sets of 18650's in proper 18650 batt holders & a couple of spare atties for "just in case", no charger, no spare coil heads & 60ml of juice in 2 x 30ml bottles.
    The battery life was very good, I got a full 7 days on 1 set of 2900mah 18650 batteries in the Sigelei, running it at 15.5W with the ST mini, so I only needed the 1 spare set to last the few days remaining.

I didn't see any vape shops in Kuta, where we were staying but some places had eGo type kits with a single or duo battery, eGo USB charger, Stardust type clearo( in most of the kits, some had other clearos) & bottle of juice.
    The price for a single batt kit was aprox $35AU, which I thought was a little steep but I'm sure they could be bartered down to a better price, I just didn't bother. It was a little reassuring to know that if something went wrong or if I lost my Sigelei & ST Mini, that I could at least buy something to get me by, even if it was 2012 technology lol
    Essie's Glass DTs

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Yes I know it can do that but it is not the ideal solution, the AFC locks into place for the 4 settings, full open, 2 holes open, 1 hole open, fully closed.
    I think it would have been just as easy for Kanger to use a similar locking system & just use the one (fully open) slot for AFC but have the "locks" ratchet into place along that slot. By doing it that way a greater range of AFC would have been possible, for a wider range of draw, with the AFC "locked" into position.

The trouble with trying to adjust the AFC ring to your desired draw, manually & not using the locked positions, is that it needs to be set up every time you fill the tank & takes time to get it "just right". Then, if you are a little clumsy or perhaps a little drunk & pick your PV up in the wrong place, it is easy to have the AFC ring move out of place, this doesn't happen when the AFC is clicked into place - I really like this feature of the AFC BTW (the "locking" thing).
    Personally, I rarely if ever, use the fully closed position. I would have preferred if Kanger had put four different air flow holes on each of the locked positions, and then just use an inbetween position for total closing.
    Mods~ VamoV2(PIFed),V5(x3(2 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Istick 20(Dead),30(x2(Both PIFed)),50(Dead),40TC(x2(1 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Vapor Shark rDNA40(Sold), DNA200(Traded), Flask V2.1(Sold)*IPV D2(x2(1 Dead, 1 Sold)),4S*eVic VT(x2(1 Dead, 1 PIFed)),VTC(x6(2 PIFed)*Sigelei 150W*Smok X-Cube II(Sold)*YiHi SX Mini M Class.*Wismec DNA200(x3),RX200(Sold)*eLeaf Pico, Pico Squeeze(x4)*CoV Wraith*Mechs ~ Genuine Phenom The Beast PVF Edition*Stingray X(x2)*Nemesis(x3)*King*Le Petit Gros(x3)*Kato*Black Hawk*Abaddon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast