Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Cams
  • 1 Post By Pipesub
  • 1 Post By Crisscross

Thread: Review : Smok VCT, GCT and RBA DIY kit

AVF Regular

Review : Smok VCT, GCT and RBA DIY kit

My views on Smok VCT GCT and RBA DIY kit.

I've had the VCT for a while now. Since owning it I gave up using my Atlantis as it left it for dead.

To be honest I did have a couple of issues from the start.

- Base glass o-ring stuck to the glass and trying to remove it broke. I did manage to find another suitable o-ring at home and it never leaked. Since then I have a replacement o-ring from Smok, so all is good.
    - Drip tip was a loose a fit. After a single vape it would dislodge a little. Cosmetically it annoyed me, function wise it was fine. I now have an aftermarket tip fitted and that sits nice ans solid.

Speaking with another user of a VCT, they did not experience these problems. However I have seen/heard of the o-ring issue happening to a number of people. Incidentally, the tank comes with 2 spare o-rings for the top and these can be used instead. There is a secondary o-ring so maybe it is not needed at all.

I got the VCT A1. A1 coils are 0.5 ohms and have an adjustable juice flow. I use 50/50 juice and have always set it to half open which works quite well. There are a number of differant coils available including ni-200 and DIY kits, RBA. All coils are interchangeable with VCT GCT Giant etc.

How did it vape. Firstly I still consider myself a noob and still searching for that perfect vape and can only compare to an Atlantis.

Air draw is very airy, more than the Atlantis, though it is a little noisy, but nothing like the Delta. Flavor was excellent and cloud production great. Bear in mind my experience to this point.

After a bit of a rough start with 2 issues I thought I had found my vaping nirvana.

Enter the GCT. No issues regarding drip tips or o-rings this time. However fitting the glass into the top is quite stiff, certainly need to lubricate it with some juice first. I broke a glass the first time I tried, lucky it comes with a spare.

Air draw is about the same as the VCT, but so very smooth. Comparing the 2 directly though is a little unfair. Did I mention the RBA DIY kit yet?

Well the GCT comes with ni-200 coils. I don't have a temp sensing mod yet, so they stay in the box for now. I could have used an A1 coil but decided to build a coil instead.

With no experience at building, a DIY kit like it is seemed a great place to start. I removed the bottom cover to realize the pre installed coils (yes 2) were cut quite short and no way was I going to get it back together like that. I did test it first and it did work. So I removed those 2 coils and put 2 more in (kit comes with 6 in total) worked out the path for the legs and assembled it. Tested it and resistance was right. Did a test burn, perfect. Cotton, refit top. Bingo, one coil.

So I fitted my RBA to the Gimlet (GCT) and filled it up. I didn't screw the coil onto the chimney to get more in. But as you can see from the image it is quite full anyway.

Let it sit, I didn't prime the cotton. 15 minutes later I had my first ever vape on the GCT with RBA. OMG!!!!!! Flavor, cloud, temp, air draw, all fantastic.

When I got the Atlantis, I didn't think it could get better, same for the VCT. But this is wonderful. Guess I am going to be going through a bit of juice today.

In future I am going to be using the RBA in the VCT as well, but need another mod as I don't think the 30w istick will go low enough. Will get a couple more kits and some wire to try coiling my own. I do need to find out what wire it is though. Coils in the RBA kit give 0.4 ohms.

So very impressed.
    Fatman, Pipesub and trojan like this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

Sub Ohm is not my thing but thanks for the write up Cams.
    Cams likes this.

AVF Regular
    Nice write up and comparison Cams

Nice to see more reviews of personal experiences.
    Cams likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011