Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 18650 Battery Problems! Pulling my hair our!

Angry 18650 Battery Problems! Pulling my hair our!

Hi Aussie Vapers,

Please help me, i have been vaping for over 3 months, love it! Already using all types of E-cigs/mods, RBA's RDA's, building my own coils and am now onto using mods the last few weeks. I have compiled a large amount of gear already, well over ten devices, 3 of which are mods, a Vamo, a nemisis mech and a Vapelye mech.

Here is the problem! To start with i bough a WF-139 2 slot charger and 2 genuine 18650 VTC4's. First time i used them i over discharged them i think, and they will never charge again. I expected them to be a bit more durable then getting one use out of them. Gave up on them.

Thought o well they didn't last long, ill just try some cheap batteries, and be carefull not to do the same thing. Bought 2 protected Ultrafire 5200mahs for 4 bucks each. Was surprised the performance is really good they both sat on 3.8V for over 24 hours each before dropping at all. They both work great in all devices. They arrived at 3.8V i went to top them up in the charger but it thought they were already full and wouldn't charged them. Just showing green lights. So i started using them, both worked great for a couple of days. I kept trying to charge them as they got flat, 3.6V wont charge, 3.5V wont charge!!! now down to 3.4V still wont charge.

They both worked great for like 2 days each. Both the Vamo thinks they're flat. They don't have enough in them get a decent fire on a dripper on my other mods. But the stupid things wont charge. I put them in the charger i just get a green light. All i ever see is a stupid green light on my charger. It wont charge them! They either have to many Volts in them to be charged or in the case of the VTC4's not enough Volts?

Please if anyone can help, what am i doing wrong, its just absolutely doing my head in. I'm guessing the main problems is the cheap ### charger! right?

Thanks in advance peeps.

AVF Regular
    dud charger?

please use quality charger and batts
    Browny likes this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

Sounds like charger problem to me

How flat should i drain 18650 batteries before charging? they're currently sitting around 3.4V

Super Moderator
    It does sound like you have a dud charger possibly ... and it doesnt matter what quality batteries you have , you over-discharge them , they are toast usually , and certainly wont be reliable ... the charger you have is basically an upgraded tr-001 and doesnt have the best rep , they either work , or they dont
    The are TWO bits of vaping advice I can give you ONE is ALWAYS buy the best quality batteries and chargers that you can afford ... they will pay you back a thousand times over ... you are comparing really poor cells to a pair that you wrecked , so its not really a good platform to base decisions on which is better
    TWO is pay a visit to supersports600's ebay shop , he is a member here and is a stand up guy , who knows more about sourcing and retailing quality cells than most vapers have forgotten ... I am in no way connected to him , apart from the fact that over the years he has simply time and time again proven himself to be one of the greatest assets to vaping that Australia has
    supersports600 items - Get great deals on non-protected, Protected items on eBay Stores!

If nothing else , give him a call and discuss your problem , hes a nice guy and will see you right .
    D1git, giruvian, gtadmin and 4 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JDVaper View Post
    How flat should i drain 18650 batteries before charging? they're currently sitting around 3.4V
    you can drain them safely to around 3.2 V ... you can charge them anytime , thats the beauty of lithium cells they arent fussy about being fully drained or cycled and you can top up whenever you need to .. the enemy is OVERCHARGING ( in volts ) or OVERDISCHARGING (in use) both can ruin your cells and your day
    gtadmin and Tarn like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Use nitecore d2/d4 or Efest LUC s2/v4 chargers recommended and 18650 battery's Samsung 25r / LG he2's and he4's
    crispy likes this.

Thanks for the tip, looks like a good seller, on my follow list, cheers.

Ok thanks all, Im going to buy a good charger and some decent batteries (again) as im assuming this charger is bung as im putting batts in at 3.4V and just getting green light and not charging. Also i cant thank this #### charger for ruining my VTC's because i had tried to top them up a few times in this thing. Thanks a lot no name $10 charger, cost me way more than it was worth. NEVER AGAIN, lesson learned.
    DogMan likes this.

AVF Regular
    i upgraded to this one of SS600. I had a nitecore, which are recommended by some, but I found my batteries always charged to 4.24v, which didn't sit well with me

i second fatman's advice on supplier. the candlepower forums also have lots of technical reviews of chargers by geeks of such things
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast