Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Dalork
  • 5 Post By Robray
  • 2 Post By gtadmin

Thread: Battery maintenence?, discharging?, maximising battery life?

AVF Regular

Battery maintenence?, discharging?, maximising battery life?

Please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed. I have searched in thread titles but failed to find any results covering my questions.

So far as batteries go, I've been vaping my mech mods until I notice less vaper production, then removing the batteries straight into one of my regulated mods, particularly the ones with undercharge protection, and then vaping the last dregs of power out of the batteries before putting them on charge. This way I can be confident that I wont over discharge any of my batteries, and will not be putting the batteries on charge prematurely either. I presume that by doing this, it will help to extend the life of the batteries?

What I am wondering is, how do you discharge your batteries, and if not how I've been doing it, then how?

Also, is there a charger available that will discharge the batteries before charging them in an automated fashion?

OR, do I even need to worry about discharging these batteries?, do they have memory?, as with mobile phone batteries that seem to benefit from regular full discharging methods

Your input, as always, is much appreciated.
    Mods~ VamoV2(PIFed),V5(x3(2 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Istick 20(Dead),30(x2(Both PIFed)),50(Dead),40TC(x2(1 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Vapor Shark rDNA40(Sold), DNA200(Traded), Flask V2.1(Sold)*IPV D2(x2(1 Dead, 1 Sold)),4S*eVic VT(x2(1 Dead, 1 PIFed)),VTC(x6(2 PIFed)*Sigelei 150W*Smok X-Cube II(Sold)*YiHi SX Mini M Class.*Wismec DNA200(x3),RX200(Sold)*eLeaf Pico, Pico Squeeze(x4)*CoV Wraith*Mechs ~ Genuine Phenom The Beast PVF Edition*Stingray X(x2)*Nemesis(x3)*King*Le Petit Gros(x3)*Kato*Black Hawk*Abaddon

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    For that matter
    What to do with sad sagging batteries ???

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    Technically you can charge a Li-ion battery whenever you like. They have no memory like old school Ni-Cd. The reason your phone does that is it has a quite poor battery management unit in it and it that tends on the side of caution (or it's plain stoopid - depending who you ask). You wont hurt the life of the batteries by charging them "early". There is no benefit to the battery of a Li-ion pre-discharge charger. The main thing to prolong their life is to not subject them to high heat. They will loose capacity over their life span (which is why the phone battery management gets out of whack)

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Snidely_Whiplash View Post
    For that matter
    What to do with sad sagging batteries ???
    Some say you can do a "heavy" discahrge to correct it, I tend to disagree with that. Other say leaving on the shelf at full charge can correct it. My (not entirely ignorant) opinion is it indicates the battery is somewhat/slightly faulty and in the context of mods they should be replaced soon or ditched altogether if using it in series/stacked.
    Last edited by trojan; 20-04-15 at 12:58 AM. Reason: dyslexia

AVF Regular
    Thanks for that info Trojan.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they have no memory, kinda like myself then, at least in the short term :/ Still I cant seem to break the habit of fully discharging before charging. I guess at the very least, with my method, that I am getting maximum vape time between cycles if nothing else. I think I also read somewhere that the IMR's are good for around 500 cycles. If that is right, then by only needing to charge 4 of the 8 I have in rotation, on every second or third day, that these should last me around 6 years, though Id be happy if they only lasted half of that.

Quote Originally Posted by trojan View Post
    Technically you can charge a Li-ion battery whenever you like. They have no memory like old school Ni-Cd. The reason your phone does that is it has a quite poor battery management unit in it and it that tends on the side of caution (or it's plain stoopid - depending who you ask). You wont hurt the life of the batteries by charging them "early". There is no benefit to the battery of a Li-ion pre-discharge charger. The main thing to prolong their life is to not subject them to high heat. They will loose capacity over their life span (which is why the phone battery management gets out of whack)
    Mods~ VamoV2(PIFed),V5(x3(2 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Istick 20(Dead),30(x2(Both PIFed)),50(Dead),40TC(x2(1 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Vapor Shark rDNA40(Sold), DNA200(Traded), Flask V2.1(Sold)*IPV D2(x2(1 Dead, 1 Sold)),4S*eVic VT(x2(1 Dead, 1 PIFed)),VTC(x6(2 PIFed)*Sigelei 150W*Smok X-Cube II(Sold)*YiHi SX Mini M Class.*Wismec DNA200(x3),RX200(Sold)*eLeaf Pico, Pico Squeeze(x4)*CoV Wraith*Mechs ~ Genuine Phenom The Beast PVF Edition*Stingray X(x2)*Nemesis(x3)*King*Le Petit Gros(x3)*Kato*Black Hawk*Abaddon

AVF Regular
    Depth of discharge (DoD) doesn't matter much overall to the lifespan of lithium batteries and not all lithium battery technologies are the same. Have to agree 100% with the above that temperature is the most aging/damaging factor. Try to keep batteries no lower than 8 degrees and no higher than 40 degrees should give optimal life span.

If your store/shelfing for extend periods of time from what I have read it's best to store them at/around 40% SoC (state of charge). I wouldn't worry too much about charging cycles, just don't fully discharge them and use a decent quality charger and don't charge them in super hot conditions. I see no need once performance drops off in your mech mod to draining the battery in some other device.

If your battery has a rated cycle life of say 300-500 cycles that is rated at full discharge (well as close to) or 100% DoD. Say recharge your battery when it's at only 10 DoD (has 90% SoC still) you would get say 3500-4500 charging cycles. So if it's 50% full/empty your looking @ maybe 1200-1500 cycles.

I think cycle life works out fairly much the same no matter what the amount of power in the battery at the time of charging, SoC or amount the battery can hold will drop slowly over time and to increase life span don't charge batteries when it's 40degrees and don't leave them in your car in summer on hot days. Well I think increase life span is maybe not the correct term, but rather to avoid decreasing the life span on the battery.

It'll last as long as it lasts lol, just don't store them in the freezer or don't cook em in the car, use a decent charger and your gold. Don't worry about the rest, get more e juice and just enjoy your vape lol. More important to worry about battery quality, safety and discharge rates when using a mech mod I would think.
    Last edited by Dalork; 20-04-15 at 06:34 AM.
    Robray, Fatman, Vaporific and 1 others like this.
    Every mighty oak tree started life out just as some crazy nut trying to hold it's ground!

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Time to bring out this link again.

For those who have the time, spend a while browsing, but this page should answer a few of the questions above. My advice? Stop your charging early. There is very little difference stopping at 98% of full charge, but it can increase the longevity of the cell by a factor of ten!

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

This will give a better Idea about increasing the charge cycles.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
    Last edited by Robray; 20-04-15 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Forgot second link
    gtadmin, Fatman, avtek and 2 others like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Dalork, thank you for all of your input. Ive read it all and on absorbing it, I realize now that all I needed to do, was put all of the batteries Ive used each day, on charge before I go to bed at night, and consequently have fresh batteries waiting for me each morning. Too easy! You have just made my vaping experience that much better, no more stressing about what state of charge my batteries are at. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalork View Post
    Depth of discharge (DoD) doesn't matter much overall to the lifespan of lithium batteries and not all lithium battery technologies are the same. Have to agree 100% with the above that temperature is the most aging/damaging factor. Try to keep batteries no lower than 8 degrees and no higher than 40 degrees should give optimal life span.

If your store/shelfing for extend periods of time from what I have read it's best to store them at/around 40% SoC (state of charge). I wouldn't worry too much about charging cycles, just don't fully discharge them and use a decent quality charger and don't charge them in super hot conditions. I see no need once performance drops off in your mech mod to draining the battery in some other device.

If your battery has a rated cycle life of say 300-500 cycles that is rated at full discharge (well as close to) or 100% DoD. Say recharge your battery when it's at only 10 DoD (has 90% SoC still) you would get say 3500-4500 charging cycles. So if it's 50% full/empty your looking @ maybe 1200-1500 cycles.

I think cycle life works out fairly much the same no matter what the amount of power in the battery at the time of charging, SoC or amount the battery can hold will drop slowly over time and to increase life span don't charge batteries when it's 40degrees and don't leave them in your car in summer on hot days. Well I think increase life span is maybe not the correct term, but rather to avoid decreasing the life span on the battery.

It'll last as long as it lasts lol, just don't store them in the freezer or don't cook em in the car, use a decent charger and your gold. Don't worry about the rest, get more e juice and just enjoy your vape lol. More important to worry about battery quality, safety and discharge rates when using a mech mod I would think.
    Robray, thanks also to you. I have some spare time tonight and will be reading through the pages you dropped here. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    Time to bring out this link again.

For those who have the time, spend a while browsing, but this page should answer a few of the questions above. My advice? Stop your charging early. There is very little difference stopping at 98% of full charge, but it can increase the longevity of the cell by a factor of ten!

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

This will give a better Idea about increasing the charge cycles.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Super Moderator
    Just to add my 2c worth, on my electric bikes I only charge to 4.10V and discharge to 3.85V to maximise the amount the number of cycles I can get from them. I believe the Toyota Hybrids follow a similar pattern (although I have a feeling it's 4.10 to 3.90V), and they offer an 8 year warranty on them.
    Robray and Fatman like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Just to add my 2c worth, on my electric bikes I only charge to 4.10V and discharge to 3.85V to maximise the amount the number of cycles I can get from them. I believe the Toyota Hybrids follow a similar pattern (although I have a feeling it's 4.10 to 3.90V), and they offer an 8 year warranty on them.
    Just when I thought I had my battery dilemma all worked out, you go and post this? Haha.

Seriously though, its all good. I'm happy now, and my battery woes are gone, yes!!