Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: YouDe Goblin V1.2 Review

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

YouDe Goblin V1.2 Review

Before I left for Bali last month, I put in an order at GearBest for a UD Goblin V1.2.
    Youde Goblin 510 Thread Stainless 3ML Electronic Cigarette Atomizer with Dual 3mm Air Holes-20.18 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    Gearbest has the Goblin V1.2 listed for $20.18US, which is already a good price but has a coupon code for these, "Goblin" which brings the price down to $17.99US, making it as cheap as I have seen some Goblin clones selling for, at other popular Chinese vendor sites.
    Presently, at time of writing this review, the Goblin is on "Backorder" at Gearbest, so they are waiting for more stock to arrive.

As I was not going to be here to receive the mail, I used Singapore Post as the shipping option.
    This took 26 days to arrive, from the time the order was placed & I have been using it exclusively now for just on 1week.
    So this confirms my suspicion that the delivery time using SG post for my Sigelei 100w plus, of 17 days, was a "rare celestial event" type of experience.
    Still, shipping was under 4 weeks, which I consider good for this shipping option.
    Gearbest shipped the Goblin in their usual plain white, bubble wrap lined, envelope, again no extra bubble wrap used around the box inside.
    Thankfully, YouDe's box had the Goblin & all the spares safely tucked away, in a nice protective foam block, as you will see in the pictures.

Unboxing:
    The box outer that the Goblin comes in is rather thin, although the inner foam housing the Goblin & accessories is thick & sturdy, ensuring it would take quite a lot of force to damage the items inside, which is good because there are 2 glass tank pieces.
    There is a "scratch and check" panel on the side of the box, to check authenticity.
    This insert piece slides out from the outer piece & there is a ribbon to pull that helps you get the Goblin out of the foam easily.
    Turning the inner section over, there is a cardboard flap that lifts, under here is the instruction manual & another cut out filled with spares, mini black handled screwdriver, extension chimney upper & longer glass tank to match.
    There is only 1 included spare screw, in the pack I received, I find this a little bit disappointing, since these screw heads are easy to round, with a even slightly, mismatched, screwdriver.
    There is no included Drip Tip, with the Goblin, so you will need to supply your own.

Setting the atty up:
    I was aiming for a 1 ohm per coil build to give a combined 0.5 ohm build, with 26G Kanthal, should be easy right? Read on.
    Building coils on the Goblin, may take a few attempts, even with all my experience, I had problems finding the right type of build to use & making the coils fit on the deck, which is rather small & cramped.
    3 builds later & I had the deck set up, ready to go.
    I first tried my favorite build style, chimney coils, the limited deck size & chimney height was the enemy of this build, I have since heard of someone else using a chimney build on the Goblin but for me it would mean sacrificing inner coil diameter, which I find works best for a chimney coil at or above 3mm, so it is not ideal.
    Next I tried a 3mm inner diameter horizontal coil build, all went well until I tried to fit the chimney base onto the deck, no matter how I tweaked the coils they just would not fit with the chimney base not touching or the pos post not touching part of the coil, creating a short.
    I finally settled on a 2.5mm inner diameter horizontal coil, this meant using more wraps but had enough clearance to fit into the cramped deck space.
    My build came out to 0.49 ohms but the chimney upper wasn't fitted yet.
    After fitting the chimney upper I retested the resistance & sure enough I had a short, the reading was 0.08 ohm, so be very careful to double check your ohms when fitting the chimney upper.
    I took the upper chimney off & carefully pushed the coils down a little, using a flat metal bar, first from one side of the coil, then from the other & repeated this on the other coil, I then retested the resistance, which was now showing 0.49 ohms.
    Screwing this onto the Sigelei 100W plus, the resistance was confirmed at 0.5 ohm.

In getting the build right, I almost managed to round the head of one of the deck screws by using a screwdriver that was not a snug fit in the head but was the correct size, so I changed screwdrivers to find a snugger fitting one & had no further problems but be aware of this or you may end up rounding your screws & having to replace them before you can use your Goblin.
    BE SURE TO USE A PROPER FITTING PHILIPS SCREWDRIVER ON THE DECK SCREWS!

Filling:
    This is a bottom fill atomiser.
    The screw is slightly recessed, so it will not scratch up your mods, however there is no o-ring to seal the screw, which I would have liked to have seen.
    This lack of seal, means that there is some very minimal seepage, if you are sitting this atty on a mod & do not plan to use it, you may come back to a seeped juice mess inside your 510 connection, this has not happened to me while using the Goblin but I can see how this could happen.
    Best to store the Goblin upside down, when not in use, if it is full of juice.
    I have had seepage but i have been refilling the tank daily, every refill I find around 1 drop of juice spread around the base of the atty & where it sits on the mod, there has not been enough seepage to trickle into the 510 connection but I am certain this would occur over time, perhaps as little as a few days.
    Some teflon(plumbers) tape or a small o-ring (I tried to fit one but it was too large) will probably fix this issue.

Actual filling is easy, I have been using a standard dripper bottle with the wider drip nozzle (not needle type), I just place the nozzle directly over the fill hole & squeeze gently, there is maybe 1 drop of juice left behind around the nozzle after filling.
    A needle topped bottle would IMO be even easier for refilling.

But how does it vape?:
    I have tested both the short & extended tank tubes & chimney uppers on the Goblin & there is very very little separating the vape quality between them, the flavour is a miniscule amount better with the shorter tank.
    This is undoubtedly the best RTA I have ever used (non-genesis), flavour is right up there with many RDAs, cloud production is very good & it is virtually leak proof.
    Flavor is better than that from an Orchid, cloud production is on par with an Orchid.
    It is as leak proof as an Aqua v2 & I would have no trouble carrying this around on its side in my pocket or in a bag, nor upright , nor upside down.
    Stellar performance is the only way to describe the vape from the Goblin.

Conclusion:
    The few negatives I have posted in this review are very small things, there are no real drawbacks to this atty, just some things to be aware of.
    Once you have the build set up, the performance far outweighs any inconvenience in setting the deck up.
    If you build correctly, your build should last for a month or months , the performance will be enjoyed daily or whenever you use your Goblin.
    I HIGHLY recommend this RTA for experienced vapers, used to rebuilding other RDA/RTAs, if you want a tank that performs like a dripper.
    For vapers new to rebuilding, I would not recommend this RTA, until you have some experience rebuilding on other devices, the difficulty of rebuilding on this device is very high compared to many other RDA/RTAs.
    Overall I give this a 8.7/10, if the deck was easier to build on & if the filling was easier(top fill) or without the seepage, then I would have given it higher marks However for vape quality, this gets a solid 9/10.
    Last edited by Noe; 24-04-15 at 06:26 AM. Reason: fixed the pics, thanks Tara
    Crisscross, J_B_86, Slayer and 6 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Kinda fixed the problem, thanks to Tara
    Last edited by Noe; 24-04-15 at 05:08 AM.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

AVF Regular
    Haven't had the chance to read the entire review as yet but perhaps I can help with the image situation.

Try going into advanced mode and press the little button on the left thats highlighted blue. This toggles
    your WYSIWYG mode. You should be able to see all your codes once you do that.

Noe and trojan like this.

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    Haven't had the chance to read the entire review as yet but perhaps I can help with the image situation.

Try going into advanced mode and press the little button on the left thats highlighted blue. This toggles
    your WYSIWYG mode. You should be able to see all your codes once you do that.

Thanks Tara, that fixed the text but the pics may need to be redone, they are supposed to be clickable thumbnails
    Essie's Glass DTs

do you find that you cant use thinner gauge wire in it? When I first got mine, I chucked some 28 gauge wire in and with the screws screwed all the way down, the wire still moved easily.

Pretty much have only used 26 guage or twisted wire in mine. Anything thinner, my wire just moves. I do have the version 1 so maybe its different in the version 2.

also wish it had a designated top fill like the Cthulhu RTA (which looks identical)

Other then that, once you fit a good build in it, it performs really great.
    Noe likes this.

Noe
    Haven't tried thinner gauge wire in it, I pretty much only use 26G wire now, as I find it is very versatile & lasts until I get sick of the build & try something new, which can be months.
    I do have some 28G though, so I will test it, just don't expect that to be too soon, I'm really enjoying the build I have in this now.
    Essie's Glass DTs

AVF Regular
    Apparently they changed the screws for the version 1.2 to allow for thinner wire.
    Noe likes this.

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B_86 View Post
    Apparently they changed the screws for the version 1.2 to allow for thinner wire.
    Well that seems to confirm it, saves me tearing out my build

What I did notice is, I tightened down the screws very hard & I know of some atties that will cut 26G wire when tightening down that hard, so at least the screws aren't also shears.
    Essie's Glass DTs

AVF Regular
    Nice review
    The Goblin is my favourite of the newer Rta's. I got the Lemo 2 yesterday and it's good but I still prefer goblins.
    The first Goblin 1.2 I got was from vapour eyes and it's perfect. The second I got from Gear best and it does have minor leaking. I have heard other reviewers complaining about this. They mave have tweeked something in the last lot of 1.2's or just maybe rushed them through.
    Small build deck yes but great Atty
    Noe likes this.

AVF Regular
    Nice review Noe mate, I think I'll have to add one to my collection.
    Noe likes this.
    Every mighty oak tree started life out just as some crazy nut trying to hold it's ground!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast